The discovery thread!
Sep 12, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #37,771 of 101,270
From my observations of inexpensive to expensive earphones, as I have both, I think the one thing that is holding many of the Chi fi companies back is the continuing reliance on standard off the shelf balanced Armatures.
The companies at the top the game are using innovative designs, materials, and tech to create their TOTL earphones, including creating their own armatures, combined with or instead using Dynamic or moving coil driver earphones (all with unique materials and design).

How long before Chi fi start to come through with their own version of the design/tech that companies like 64 Ears, Empire Ears, Noble, Campfire Audio etc are currently using?

I think the current level of Chi fi is at the level that some of these companies were about 3-4 years ago, still relying on off the shelf BA's and only improving sound by adding more and more BA's to the inside of their earphones.

That said, of course there are exceptions, iBasso comes to mind, as well as Fiio. Some companies are also starting to experiment with dynamic drivers in unique ways, TFZ, I would assume from reading some of the reviews.

We are living in good times, but not for your wallet.
The Oriolus Finschi at $179 easily competes with the EE Bravado at $599. And I had both and sold the Bravado and haven't looked back. They both have one dynamic and one BA with a $400 difference in price. One mans opinion.

Sep 12, 2018 at 9:11 PM Post #37,772 of 101,270
The Oriolus Finschi at $179 easily competes with the EE Bravado at $599. And I had both and sold the Bravado and haven't looked back. They both have one dynamic and one BA with a $400 difference in price. One mans opinion.
Might have to re-sell my AKG N40 for the Oriolus

Sep 12, 2018 at 9:26 PM Post #37,773 of 101,270

Yeah, I have written about the wonderful Oriolus Finschi's as well. Oriolus is a Japanese company, although probably produced in China. I wouldn't include them in the Chi fi set.
I've never heard the EE Bravado and now have no need to.
I'm listening to the Finschi's as I type this.
Cheers.

Sep 12, 2018 at 10:05 PM Post #37,774 of 101,270
Like I said before, I am weak....I just ordered these: BQEYZ KC2

Sep 12, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #37,775 of 101,270
Did you miss the frequency response they posted on the page too? Here's the frequency response. It's 1/2 octave smoothing so it's pretty meaningless imo. The dips at 2.5k and 5k are probably far worse (but covered up by the smoothing). Both Harman target and diffuse curves show a lift at 2-3k.
Put nicely, I wouldn't be surprised if this 16BA sounded "underwhelming".
HTB1FLxOdjrguuRjy0Feq6xcbFXaY.jpg

Driver count shouldn't be the priority, tuning should.

I totally agree. I am gonna doubt this 16BA earphone will come anywhere close to the works of art my IT04 are with 12 Less drivers. Lol.

Sep 12, 2018 at 10:38 PM Post #37,776 of 101,270
I totally agree. I am gonna doubt this 16BA earphone will come anywhere close to the works of art my IT04 are with 12 Less drivers. Lol.

Driver count is kind of misleading sometimes imo.

I have a huge bias for single drivers because they’re lighter and also often more coherent (easy to match frequencies).

Although I’ve heard the Zeus XIV (14 drivers) and Roxanne II (12 drivers) and are some of the best IEMs I’ve ever heard. All about implementation and good crossovers I guess.

Sep 13, 2018 at 4:40 AM Post #37,778 of 101,270
Sep 13, 2018 at 6:23 AM Post #37,780 of 101,270
would you say that they are better than the T2, taking in account the price increase?
They are much more lively than the T2

Sep 13, 2018 at 8:00 AM Post #37,781 of 101,270
img_62786.jpg

detail.jpg

ATH-CK2000 Ti
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=https://www.audio-technica.co.jp/atj/show_model.php?modelId=3056&prev=search

■ Make a magnetic circuit employing permendur and a diamond like carbon (DLC) coating diaphragm. Φ9.8 mm + φ 8.8 mm "dual phase push-pull driver".
■ Precision Cutting Full titanium body eliminates unnecessary resonance thoroughly.
■ High sound quality A2DC connector for audio is adopted.
■ Reduce crosstalk with Starcad stranded cable / cord with ground separated by L / R.
Both outgoing 1.2 m balance cable (φ4.4 mm 5 pole plug) and 1.2 m cord are included to enhance the sense of separation of left and right sounds.

◎ Spec

Model: Dynamic type
Driver: φ9.8 mm, φ 8.8 mm
Output sound pressure level: 102 dB / mW
Reproduction frequency band: 5 to 45,000 Hz
Impedance: 10 Ω

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2018 at 8:14 AM Post #37,782 of 101,270
Ya it is difficult to keep up with so many new earphones that come out almost daily it seems. I just was browsing aliexpress and there was a new 16BA earphone for $425ish. First time I seen it.

Just outragious!

HTB1C2_XKqmWBuNjy1Xaq6xCbXXaq.jpg

HTB1QUh1KxWYBuNjy1zkq6xGGpXav.jpg

HTB1qkBXuDmWBKNjSZFBq6xxUFXaV.jpg

and of course its from CTZ, lol. They make a 21BA IEM, not really a surprise.

I do wish people would stop ranting "tuning matters more" like its some kind of secret knowledge beholden to few every time a chi-fi company release an IEM packed with more drivers though.

Sep 13, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #37,783 of 101,270
I do wish people would stop ranting "tuning matters more" like its some kind of secret knowledge beholden to few every time a chi-fi company release an IEM packed with more drivers though.
Well, it seems to be a secret knowledge to a lot of people around here as bragging rights and little understanding often are deciding factors. Also, you might think that because you already know this, it's annoying to see it repeated time and time again but threads like this one are visited by a ton of people on daily basis (both new members and unregistered users) who don't know that, so IMO putting this as a disclaimer along with the announcement of every new product with schiitload of drivers is not such a bad idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back