The discovery thread!
Jan 30, 2024 at 12:30 AM Post #94,126 of 102,051
What IEMs are my fellow IEM nerds using right now?

I've settled to using my Supernova, S8 and Meteor as my current daily rotation of IEMs, this covers pretty much every genre.

AFUL P8 with a balanced cable pair with R3II.

U12t with simple 3.5mm cable for everything else, from nintendo to ps vita to laptop.

FiiO FF5 + UTWS5 for gym.

Andro 2020, Gaea, and MagicOne for when I’m bored of U12t.

Looking forward for Cantor to replace P8. If I win a lottery, I would like a Z1R and Anni 2023 as well.

And look at me over here loving my Volume lol. It's my favorite set that I own. Along with the MagicOne.
Ey, magic one! High five

Jan 30, 2024 at 12:31 AM Post #94,127 of 102,051

I've settled to using my Supernova, S8 and Meteor as my current daily rotation of IEMs, this covers pretty much every genre.

For outside use, I'll probably choose either Meteor or Tea 2, it's not a good idea to bring my S8 or Supernova outside given their price.

Meteor is not cheap but it looks and feels like a throwaway cereal toy, so there's no danger on bringing this to a public place, someone stealing this is extremely unlikely.

Everything else I own is redundant which is around 21 sets, I'm might give some stuff away some stuff for space reasons.

Some other sets I own like the Softears Volume and Thieaudio Legacy 4 see next to zero use.

This is a lesson to anyone interested in the hobby: don't horde gear, a lot of stuff will eventually see no use.

1-4 sets is enough.

Daily drivers outdoors are mostly IEMs - Sony IER M9, Sony XBA N3, Moondrop Variations, Simgot EA1000, Hidizs MP145, AKG N5005, EPZ 530.

Indoors - mostly earbuds like Yinman 600 ohm, Yincrow RW2000, Rikubuds Grand Alter Saber 3 and the Sennheiser HD650. Sometimes the Final E5000 cause this monster needs an amp.

Jan 30, 2024 at 1:01 AM Post #94,128 of 102,051
Yup, I prefer F1 Pro over the hidizs. It’s probably down to tonal preference.

I didn’t make detailed PEQ for P8. I wouldn’t rely on the autoEQ tool on squiglink because the coupler and the IEM sample of each database is different. Thus I rely on my ears and simple 10band EQ.

I simply drop the 1kHz by a few dB (at most 3, unless you want to try 64 audio “audiophile” target). I also bumped the 2kHz by a few dB. Remember to test with a variety of different genres of music to avoid tuning for a particular poorly mastered track. P8 driver can handle 3dB bass boost without losing its tightness as well. I usually bump the 16kHz by 3dB because of preference (or maybe because I’m deaf up there)
Thanks, will have a go.

Jan 30, 2024 at 1:08 AM Post #94,129 of 102,051
1706594808567.png

1706595188860.png1706595223374.png

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2024 at 1:12 AM Post #94,130 of 102,051

For outside use, I'll probably choose either Meteor or Tea 2, it's not a good idea to bring my S8 or Supernova outside given their price.

Meteor is not cheap but it looks and feels like a throwaway cereal toy, so there's no danger on bringing this to a public place, someone stealing this is extremely unlikely.

Everything else I own is redundant which is around 21 sets, I'm might give some stuff away some stuff for space reasons.

Some other sets I own like the Softears Volume and Thieaudio Legacy 4 see next to zero use.

This is a lesson to anyone interested in the hobby: don't horde gear, a lot of stuff will eventually see no use.

1-4 sets is enough.
Sivga Nightingale (for metal & jazz vocalists and in nights as it has that velvety veil suitable to not disturb the sleep), Aful p8s (for enjoyable details on multi genre), Fan 2 (when I want a thick milkshake of cozy mids in my ears), Senns HD660S2 (criminally underused cans but always relish when I rmbr to try em).

Jan 30, 2024 at 1:14 AM Post #94,131 of 102,051
This track is about as dynamic as it gets and it shows the full capabilities of the TSMR-X.
That bass line shows both sub bass and bass impact. Treble sparkle dynamism with instruments and vocals. You all will understand.

I am going to have to call you out on this one. What is your definition of dynamic, cuz this is not it!

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2024 at 1:18 AM Post #94,132 of 102,051
Sivga Nightingale (for metal & jazz vocalists and in nights as it has that velvety veil suitable to not disturb the sleep), Aful p8s (for enjoyable details on multi genre), Fan 2 (when I want a thick milkshake of cozy mids in my ears), Senns HD660S2 (criminally underused cans but always relish when I rmbr to try em).
The P8s are underrated too imho. such a clean sounding set that doesn't really get much attention around here.

Jan 30, 2024 at 1:19 AM Post #94,133 of 102,051
I ordered Hype 4 from Linsoul's AliExpress store almost 3 weeks ago, on January 8.
Today, I see my order canceled on AE and I can't get my money back from them.
Linsoul coincidentally claimed today on Instagram that Hype 4 isn't available for purchase, only taking preorders.
Yet Hype 4 has been available for purchase on Linsoul.com and both of their AliExpress stores for well over a month, almost 2 months now.

Never buying anything from Linsoul on AE again. This is going to be another nightmare situation for me, similar to Scarlet Mini preorders.

Thieaudio Hype4 Refund 02.jpg

Thieaudio Hype4 Refund.jpg

Thieaudio Hype4 Linsoul 01.jpg

Thieaudio Hype4 Linsoul 02.jpg
Linsoul - Winning friends and influencing people. Buying direct from a Chinese seller can be frustrating at times, and the main reason I will limit the $$ value of anything purchased direct. Much better to purchase through the Zon even though some stuff may not be avail thru them,

Jan 30, 2024 at 1:28 AM Post #94,134 of 102,051
Oriveti OD200 or the new Tanchjim Origin......decisions, decisions.

I've been banned by Shenzhen Audio for previous negative reviews, so can't get any more Truthear/Moondrop/Tanchjim units to test officially.

But I managed to contact a local audio shop (Sam Audio) for a loaner of the Tanchjim Origin, will be collecting it in 2 days' time once stocks arrive, and will take some graphs and let everyone know how it is. There are tuning nozzles so I hope not all of them have the massive 10 dB ear gain.

It is touted to be the legendary Tanchjim Oxygen's successor, which are really huge boots to fill, hope it lives up to expectations!

Wait, its name is not “legendary”?

0E5106E4-1336-409E-A419-8E23000C6E93.jpeg

Haha has the "LEGENDARY" KZ arrived in your mail box?

Jan 30, 2024 at 1:29 AM Post #94,135 of 102,051
1000011755.jpg

I know, sorry, these aren't IEMs, I'm just way too excited not to share. I have lusted after these since they came out and waited for way too long. Here they are 🥰

First headphones and I'm in love. And I'm pretty sure it's not just honeymoon talking.

1000011771.jpg

Yo congrats, I LOVED the 109 Pro when I demoed it. The only reason I went with the LCD-2C in the end came down to price and impatience :p

headphone appreciation i can get down with here are my babies
IMG_6377.jpegIMG_6379.jpeg

I have the new AR5000 on a wishlist, really like the looks and design… need something with a wider soundstage than my 660s.

IMG_0340.jpeg

I was thinking about picking up the Aune AR5000 for my brother as birthday gift. The all-metal chassis is a nice look and they've been getting really positive impressions and reviews.

..and since we're showing off new headphones, I picked these up recently in the ZMF November sale. I really need to get a headphone stand though. They deserve better than to just be hanging from a hook on the side of my desk.

1706295440031.png
See what you started @nikbr ! Please post this stuff in the appropriate thread. Other than that, I appreciate your enthusiasm. Cheers!

Jan 30, 2024 at 1:33 AM Post #94,136 of 102,051
Wish I can be as positive about these as you guys. Maybe that’s why I have some angry comments on my video review of this one :dt880smile:
Really, did something go wrong with the MP145?

This may not be a popular opinion (sorry Senn fanboys), but I find the Sennheiser IEMs all overpriced for what they bring to the table.
Not a fanboy, but I think IE900 is really special iem. Single DD iem at it's best (among the best ones, for sure). Very polished sound. They are selling at a heavy discount. The best time to get one pair, IMO.

Talking about Tanchjim Origin, which other 2 DD iems are currently favorites? I cannot recall any at the moment.

Jan 30, 2024 at 1:36 AM Post #94,137 of 102,051
Talking about Tanchjim Origin, which other 2 DD iems are currently favorites? I cannot recall any at the moment.

At the midFI bracket, the DUNU Falcon Ultra, Oriveti OD200 and Simgot EA1000 are hot favourite single DDs (EA1000 is technically not a pure DD as it has a PR but functions mostly as a single DD as the PR just adds a bit of resonance to the bass).

At the budget segment, the EW200 and EA500LM are the hyped single DDs.

Ah yes if the IE900 is discounted, I wouldn't mind recommending it, but probably not at full price.

Jan 30, 2024 at 1:37 AM Post #94,138 of 102,051
I've been banned by Shenzhen Audio for previous negative reviews, so can't get any more Truthear/Moondrop/Tanchjim units to test officially.

But I managed to contact a local audio shop (Sam Audio) for a loaner of the Tanchjim Origin, will be collecting it in 2 days' time once stocks arrive, and will take some graphs and let everyone know how it is. There are tuning nozzles so I hope not all of them have the massive 10 dB ear gain.

It is touted to be the legendary Tanchjim Oxygen's successor, which are really huge boots to fill, hope it lives up to expectations!

Haha has the "LEGENDARY" KZ arrived in your mail box?
ah! Singapore? i did ask them about the Origin too, they mentioned that they have ready stock.

Jan 30, 2024 at 1:39 AM Post #94,139 of 102,051
Vannak has also helped to get a graph from the taobao place of the Tanchjim Origin.

Hmm, looks like a typical Moondrop type tuning?

422464017_2729740133851223_1318091736533622753_n.jpg
Wow, even more pinna gain at 3k than the O2 and lots less bass at about 5db compared to the O2 at 9db at 40 hz if we are to believe the graphs. At least the broad peak at 3k drops rapidly in comparison to the O2 with has a bit of a bump at 5k. Seems like it might be targeted to detail freaks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back