[The Not So] Upcoming Sennheiser Stat & Amp
Aug 12, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #16 of 200
Quote:
Since the new Sennheiser team are worse than the old team. (Get a hd540gold,hd560,1993 hd580, you'll know what I mean)
I have no hope on it, & those new sennheiser stuffs,hd700,800etc are pricey, not worth the money

I'm assuming it's the new Sennheiser designer team that are credited for coming up with the look of the HD800+700. That being the case I think they need to go back to designer school and learn to design headphones similar to the HE-90. If they did start building headphones similar to the HE90  [ An exact copy would be better with around a 3" wide headband ]  I'm sure it would be quite expensive but I still think headfiers would buy one myself included. For those that wouldn't have the money to stretch that far, Sennheiser could always do another replica of the HE-60.

Aug 12, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #17 of 200
The new Sennheiser team is even worse than the 1980's AKG team,

Compare a new hd5x8 to the 1980's akg k240,
the hd5x8's sound like crap,sound veiled, the timbre is not natural.
those new sennheiser guys are just so mediocre.

What are you expecting from these guys?
Even a clone of he60 is  impossible to them,
they just don't have the skills,attitudes,musical sense etc, to make it

Aug 12, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #18 of 200
Hope Senn will leverage from their well regarded Orpheus design, and from their HD580 and HD600 successes.
popcorn.gif

Aug 12, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #19 of 200
If Sennheiser do end up designing this new electrostatic headphone with similar looks to the HD800 then I'll definitely NOT buy one. The HD800 is more suited for Sonny in I,Robot.

P.S. I'm hoping if headfiers write enough post about the new senn stat headphone looking a clone to the HE90, and the senn designers see those posts they might come to their senses, after all Germany are supposed to be a top country when it comes to designing and building gear. Unless ofcourse there are more that prefer the look of the HD800's against the HE-90.

Aug 12, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #21 of 200
a sennheiser stat headphone in between the HE60 and HE90 would definitely be of interest. it would great, although highly unlikely, if they used a stax termination. either way, looking forward to more developments.

Aug 12, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #22 of 200
Wow...I saw this and it was some of the best news I've heard in a while.  Then I came to this thread and the amount of pissing and moaning was just shocking....especially about the APPEARANCE of something that hasn't been released, and how that's going to keep the poster from buying it?!  Color me skeptical.....

I don't care if it looks like it was made with two toilet plunger cups held together with a lunchbox handle.  If it sounds anything like the HE90, that's nothing but good IMHO.

Aug 12, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #25 of 200
Quote:
On a scale of 1-10 minutes, how long will you listen to it before taking it off due to ear fatigue from a 6khz spike?

My listening would at least go to 11....

I've got the HD800 of which you no doubt speak, and I don't have any trouble listening for extended periods.

I've had an opportunity to hear both the HE60 and HE90 for extended periods, and they are two of the sweetest sounding cans I've heard.  If Sennheiser is gettting back in the "stat" business, that is nothing but good news IMHO...much of the present company (apparently) excluded.

Aug 12, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #26 of 200
Quote:
Wow...I saw this and it was some of the best news I've heard in a while.  Then I came to this thread and the amount of pissing and moaning was just shocking....especially about the APPEARANCE of something that hasn't been released, and how that's going to keep the poster from buying it?!  Color me skeptical.....

I don't care if it looks like it was made with two toilet plunger cups held together with a lunchbox handle.  If it sounds anything like the HE90, that's nothing but good IMHO.

It's amazing people never notice that the big manufacturers aren't participating in the discussions here, let alone consider getting feedback from people here. It's not hard to see why.

Aug 12, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #27 of 200
Quote:

It's amazing people never notice that the big manufacturers aren't participating in the discussions here, let alone consider getting feedback from people here. It's not hard to see why.

Yeah...can you see the head of development for Sennheiser participating in THIS?  Me neither....and it's too bad.

Aug 13, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #28 of 200
Quote:

Agreed.  I'm not here to sign a petition about how I want the thing to LOOK.

Aug 13, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #29 of 200
I think that's a little harsh. If you're spending several $thousand$ for a set of headphones you want them to look snazzy. Just update the HE60 with a few improvements, keep the general look but add some wood accents, and call it the HE70 (commemorating their upcoming 70th anniversary). They'd sell a boatload of them. I know I'd be standing in line with card in hand, that's for sure. :)

Aug 13, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #30 of 200
I think that's a little harsh. If you're spending several $thousand$ for a set of headphones you want them to look snazzy. Just update the HE60 with a few improvements, keep the general look but add some wood accents, and call it the HE70 (commemorating their upcoming 70th anniversary). They'd sell a boatload of them. I know I'd be standing in line with card in hand, that's for sure. :)

Wasn't the HE70 the amp for the HE60?

And regarding the "argument" over this - I see both sides. I think that you should absolutely worry about how they look, and that it's a bad move on a designer's part to just ignore their intended audience entirely and do whatever they want (no doubt because they are God), but at the same time, it shouldn't be a lot of crying over spilt milk on the audience's part. Come up with something that's ergonomic, comfy, etc (along the lines of the HD 580, 600, or HE60) and that doesn't look like a Power Ranger prop, and it's probably solid - and I think that much is easily possible. Then all you have to do is make it sound good, and price it right. I think that Sennheiser has gotten most of that right for the last few years, and hopefully if there is a new can, it isn't yet another HD 800 look-alike.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back