The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Feb 19, 2024 at 6:43 AM Post #23,326 of 23,597
Are we talking about wire thickness or length?
And the standard is not 0.78 mm, only.

As I am informed, they come in two sizes 0.75 mm and 0.78 mm

But I thought that the question was about length; perhaps I was wrong (but I doubt, I read correctly).
0.75 is the standard for Ciems, 0.78 for universals. (and yes it is distance between pins) While I can't find a manufacturing stand for 2 pin cables, a quick comparison of Japanese (Onso Project), Linum (Danish), 64 Audio (presumably American), Universal Melody (Chinese), Eltech (Singapore) and Noble (Chinese OEM probably a Plastics One) reveal that the length of the pins from the (differing) termini is exactly the same, not similar, exactly. This kind of identicality speaks to a common manufacturing standard. My views are similar to Tristy's - given there is at least one thing wrong with the cable, why would you risk a multi-kilo buck iem?

Feb 19, 2024 at 7:28 AM Post #23,328 of 23,597
why would you risk a multi-kilo buck iem?
Why would that be a risk? You won't forcibly push them, just as much as the "standard" length would go.
And that's it... that's not for further use; OP asked if he could try it. I don't see why he couldn't.

He can send me the cable, and I will try on my Nio...

I am not telling him to do that.

If you read what I wrote, you should know that that was just my bet.

I don't have intentions of arguing or debating (which folks love to do) :wink:

You misunderstood his question and started writing about diameter and QC failure, not length.

Therefore, I'm not sure what you saw in the picture when it's evident that the wire is longer,
and it's not about thickness, which you couldn't see, anyway, not the difference of 0.03 mm with your eyes, perhaps with a microscope:wink:

Cheers!

Feb 19, 2024 at 11:03 AM Post #23,329 of 23,597
Hi guys, thank you for your input, let me clarify a few things:

1) I am asking if the length of the pins could possibly damage the Volür

2) I would just like to try that cable, you know? I have 3 of them, 2.5, 3.5 and 4.4mm. I haven't bought these cables, they came with my IMR Elan+ which is now returned and fully refunded. I just have them at home, why not try them?

So, I hope @64Audio will see my posts here and here and offer an official response.

Thank you :)

Feb 19, 2024 at 11:51 AM Post #23,330 of 23,597
Hi guys, thank you for your input, let me clarify a few things:

1) I am asking if the length of the pins could possibly damage the Volür

2) I would just like to try that cable, you know? I have 3 of them, 2.5, 3.5 and 4.4mm. I haven't bought these cables, they came with my IMR Elan+ which is now returned and fully refunded. I just have them at home, why not try them?

So, I hope @64Audio will see my posts here and here and offer an official response.

Thank you :)
Yes, the cable can potentially damage the IEMs. Particularly if you try to fully insert them, the pins can puncture or crack the socket housing which will cause the IEM to leak and potentially allow the socket pins themselves to fall into the IEM which would require repair. We strongly recommend not to use a cable with longer pins, just to prevent any issues.

Last edited:
64 Audio Stay updated on 64 Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/64audio https://twitter.com/64audio https://instagram.com/64audio https://www.64audio.com/ info@64audio.com
Feb 19, 2024 at 12:10 PM Post #23,331 of 23,597
Yes, the cable can potentially damage the IEMs. Particularly if you try to fully insert them, the pins can puncture or crack the socket housing which will cause the IEM to leak and potentially allow the socket pins themselves to fall into the IEM which would require repair. We strongly recommend not to use a cable with longer pins, just to prevent any issues.

Okay, thank you for clarifying it, I will never use these cables or any other cables with longer pins.

Feb 19, 2024 at 3:22 PM Post #23,332 of 23,597
Why would that be a risk? You won't forcibly push them, just as much as the "standard" length would go.
And that's it... that's not for further use; OP asked if he could try it. I don't see why he couldn't.

He can send me the cable, and I will try on my Nio...

I am not telling him to do that.

If you read what I wrote, you should know that that was just my bet.

I don't have intentions of arguing or debating (which folks love to do) :wink:

You misunderstood his question and started writing about diameter and QC failure, not length.

Therefore, I'm not sure what you saw in the picture when it's evident that the wire is longer,
and it's not about thickness, which you couldn't see, anyway, not the difference of 0.03 mm with your eyes, perhaps with a microscope:wink:

Cheers!
Not trying to argue, I am pointing out that:
. the question asked was 'will it hurt my vVolur'
. someone felt that the length was not standard
. you asked what is the standard?
. I noted that the standard for universal 2-pin was 0.78 and that the excessive length was more than likely an indicator of poor construction or poor construction standards (QC). To me this was an indicator that if there is a flaw you can see, there may be flaws you can't and which may be more damaging. I said I wouldn't recommend it, you said try and see. It's here that we differ. That's it. I answered the question asked.
. I then discussed the concept of a manufacturing standard for the 0.78 2 pin cable and raised examples of mine which had common. Can't see where I raised diameter.

Hope this clears things up. I was merely providing advice to a fellow head-fier based on my experience and knowledge. Enjoy your Nio as I enjoy my U12T - which is lots!

Feb 20, 2024 at 6:44 PM Post #23,334 of 23,597
Just received my open box U4S today and I gotta say, these things are incredible. My first kilobuck IEMs and I'm 1000% sold. I thoroughly enjoy my other sets like my Tea 2's, but the punch of the bass and the clarity/instrument separation all around is next level. @64Audio, ya'll got yourselves a winner with this one, although I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that!

Feb 20, 2024 at 11:47 PM Post #23,335 of 23,597
Just received my open box U4S today and I gotta say, these things are incredible. My first kilobuck IEMs and I'm 1000% sold. I thoroughly enjoy my other sets like my Tea 2's, but the punch of the bass and the clarity/instrument separation all around is next level. @64Audio, ya'll got yourselves a winner with this one, although I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that!
Welcome to the end-game audio experience :beerchug:

Feb 22, 2024 at 7:22 PM Post #23,336 of 23,597
I send to repair my U18T to 64 audio on December.
64 Audio replay to me that my U18T can’t be repaired. So they send me a brand New set!!!!!!!!!!!
Is that world class costumer service or what?
Thanks 64 audio you have all my respect and devotion
Plus the u18T are Amazing!!!
Your statement “hear Everything “ is no joke.

Feb 23, 2024 at 9:27 AM Post #23,337 of 23,597
I send to repair my U18T to 64 audio on December.
64 Audio replay to me that my U18T can’t be repaired. So they send me a brand New set!!!!!!!!!!!
Is that world class costumer service or what?
Thanks 64 audio you have all my respect and devotion
Plus the u18T are Amazing!!!
Your statement “hear Everything “ is no joke.
That's epic! Enjoy, it's a fabulous set.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Feb 23, 2024 at 2:48 PM Post #23,338 of 23,597
Enjoying an excellent, nightclub like, experience this evening with these two! Fantastic synergy!!

M.jpg

Feb 23, 2024 at 7:50 PM Post #23,340 of 23,597
Man I want my Volur back. I had a rare issue and they are in the hospital now out at 64 audio. I miss those guys! They should be here in 7-10 days though. And can't wait to take them to Canjam in a couple weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back