The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Mar 30, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #3,421 of 23,663
oops posted by accident.

Mar 30, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #3,422 of 23,663
lol, why dont they allow us to delete posts?

so, i got my first customs 5 days ago. it sounds amazing but i think i have some fit issues. the left ear canal is too long i think, if i dont press it in hard, it doesnt seal too well. the outer ear kind of stings a little. Both ear canals start aching after an hour or so. Also, i still feel as if there is some pressure build up? am i just still not used to it?

Mar 30, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #3,423 of 23,663
Mar 31, 2018 at 2:21 AM Post #3,424 of 23,663
True, digital signal is just 0s and 1s. I mean, how can a wire make a difference in this case? But there is a very simple explanation: digital audio data transfer includes both the data and the timing info. Degradation of a signal due to a lower quality cable will cause skew in the analog square edges of “digital” pulse (1s are just analog square pulses when you look at the signal on the scope) which results in a timing inaccuracy that will cause jitter and packet errors.

If you think about USB cable design, you are dealing with a pair of data wires and a pair of power wires (5V vbus and ground). Digital data and power from your PC/laptop usb port inevitably going to have some noise as well as being susceptible to EMI and RFI. The portable audio devices attached to your computer are relying on getting its power from USB port, and this “dirty” power reference is used in D/A conversion to extract analog signal. Noisy power reference will cause errors during decoding and consequently will raise a noise floor. That is a reason why all standalone desktop DACs/amps use a massive power supply to provide a clean internal power source independent of the power from a source through a digital cable.

So, in my opinion, a high quality cable where you have a better shielding and isolation of data and power bus, and power wires which have a proper gauge to handle higher power (beefy enough to handle USB 3 spec) should make a difference. I think in case of digital cables, these factors above are more important than the actual type of material used in the data wires of the digital cable. I have tried various AudioQuest usb cables, and their Jitterbug filter, and compared it with some of my basic $2-$3 usb cable while using a few different usb DACs, and I can hear a difference when listening directly from my aging ThinkPad T430s, not a night'n'day difference, but I do hear it :)

It's all true, but try $15 usb cables and you won't hear any difference. In other words, once your attain a certain manufacturing standard, all USB cables perform he same. If you choose a sub-par cable, don't be surprised if the data is mishandled.

Mar 31, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #3,426 of 23,663
Since we talked about @PLUSSOUND Tri-Copper cable pair up with 64 Audio IEMs in this thread, if anybody is interested I posted my full review of this cable with more detailed analysis (including U18t and Fourte, among other iems). You can find the review here. For my personal taste, I prefer Tri-Copper with Fourte more than with U18t.

plussound_3cu-04.jpg plussound_3cu-05.jpg

Mar 31, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #3,427 of 23,663
Since we talked about @PLUSSOUND Tri-Copper cable pair up with 64 Audio IEMs in this thread, if anybody is interested I posted my full review of this cable with more detailed analysis (including U18t and Fourte, among other iems). You can find the review here. For my personal taste, I prefer Tri-Copper with Fourte more than with U18t.

Very nice review as always. I’m curious if you had a chance to compare 3Cu with Janus D/B.

Mar 31, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #3,428 of 23,663
Very nice review as always. I’m curious if you had a chance to compare 3Cu with Janus D/B.

Don't have Janus, yet. If I get the opportunity to review it, probably will go for Dynamic model, I prefered it over Bass at CJ NYC.

Mar 31, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #3,429 of 23,663
As always @twister6, nice review! I’m officially sold on getting a 3c for my travel cable....i’m scared traveling with the Leonidas

Mar 31, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #3,430 of 23,663
Don't have Janus, yet. If I get the opportunity to review it, probably will go for Dynamic model, I prefered it over Bass at CJ NYC.
Got it. Thanks!!

Mar 31, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #3,431 of 23,663
Just a noob question. Can cable be possible to make a side louder than another one ?
Just received the cable from Penon today. Just gave it a listen with my A18 and noticed that the right side is slightly louder than the left side. I changed back to GPH cable, its balanced again.
20180331_174628.jpg

Mar 31, 2018 at 7:41 PM Post #3,432 of 23,663
Just a noob question. Can cable be possible to make a side louder than another one ?
Just received the cable from Penon today. Just gave it a listen with my A18 and noticed that the right side is slightly louder than the left side. I changed back to GPH cable, its balanced again.
Make sure the new cable is connected very well, specially if you have recessed sockets. I’ve had this happen before, but ensuring things are well connected does it for me.

Mar 31, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #3,434 of 23,663

Take one connector, L or R, and flip it (reverse 2 pin connection, there is no memory wire, so it should be OK). Do you hear the difference? If one 2pin connector soldering is flipped, you will have a phasing effect where it sounds weird, with a phasing imbalance between the sides. Does it sound better?

Mar 31, 2018 at 8:25 PM Post #3,435 of 23,663
Wait @twister6 it matters which side the connectors are plugged into? I assumed it didn’t matter which side of the cable plugged into left or right. I plug the R cable into the R headphone if the cable indicates which is which, but some of my cables aren’t marked

Users who are viewing this thread

Back