The Official Horror game Thread!! Lets put those headphones to good use!
Mar 10, 2012 at 1:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 354

WhiteCrow

Is not fooled by rapper-endorsed products.

The list

Awaiting the arrivals of such games as the Silent hill HD collection, Downpour, and the new Fatal frame game for the WiiU I thought it would be appropriate to discuss ALL horror games!!!!! Please mark spoilers with the *SPOILER* TAG!!!!!!!

Triumphs, Trivia, the best, and blunders. Discuss them all here!

Mar 10, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #2 of 354
Patiently waiting for the HD collection of SH since they resolved the VA issues. Still, SH3 will be altered as they couldn't reach Heather Morris apparently and the guy who played Douglas died not long after the release of 3. 

Waiting for a review on Downpour before I touch it. 

Is Resident Evil still even considered horror?

Mar 10, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #3 of 354
Amnesia is the only pure horror game I've played recently, but not a big fan of the FPS/adventure style. If you have a PS2, Clock Tower 3 and Haunting Ground are excellent, though the former turns more into an action game near the end. 

Mar 10, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #4 of 354

Quote:

That's a rather...hotly debated subject.

The series as a whole is generally said to be worse at convincing horror than, say, the earlier Silent Hill titles or Thief: Deadly Shadows' infamous Shalebridge Cradle mission.

On the other hand, among RE fans, there's a contingent that says that RE4 was when the series stopped being survival horror and started being third-person shooter, while others say that RE: Revelations finally brings back the survival-horror elements while still having the series' current third-person shooter presentation.

Mar 10, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #5 of 354
I like old Survival Horror games like Alone in the Dark, Resident Evil, Silent Hill, and Fear Effect just to name a few.

I do love Dead Space 1 and 2, F.E.A.R., Metro 2013, Siren Bloodcurse. Most modern Horror games don't scare me all that much, which is too bad..

Mar 10, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #6 of 354

Quote:

That's a rather...hotly debated subject.

The series as a whole is generally said to be worse at convincing horror than, say, the earlier Silent Hill titles or Thief: Deadly Shadows' infamous Shalebridge Cradle mission.

On the other hand, among RE fans, there's a contingent that says that RE4 was when the series stopped being survival horror and started being third-person shooter, while others say that RE: Revelations finally brings back the survival-horror elements while still having the series' current third-person shooter presentation.

And I'd agree RE4 was the turning point. The original footage of 4 from WAY back was awesome looking (before the overhaul). I spent days nerd raging over the HD update to CVX's reviews. Most of what I saw gave it a 5 or 6 out of 10 spouting it was a lousy game. I'd love for a REmake style update to RE2 and 3 but I doubt that would ever happen.

Mar 10, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #7 of 354
I thought the HD version of CVX was amazing. Sure the gameplay didn't change but it still works as it should. I think the HD version is the best of the CVX versions out there.

As for RE4, while it was a great action game, it was not good as a Resident Evil or Survival Horror game. I got really bummed by how lame it felt.

I heard something about Capcom porting both REmake and Zero to the PS3 and Xbox. I really hope they do and this is not jsut a rumor.

If RE2 or RE3 is to be remade, make it like REmake was for the NGC.

Quote:

And I'd agree RE4 was the turning point. The original footage of 4 from WAY back was awesome looking (before the overhaul). I spent days nerd raging over the HD update to CVX's reviews. Most of what I saw gave it a 5 or 6 out of 10 spouting it was a lousy game. I'd love for a REmake style update to RE2 and 3 but I doubt that would ever happen.

Mar 10, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #8 of 354

Quote:
I thought the HD version of CVX was amazing. Sure the gameplay didn't change but it still works as it should. I think the HD version is the best of the CVX versions out there.

As for RE4, while it was a great action game, it was not good as a Resident Evil or Survival Horror game. I got really bummed by how lame it felt.

I heard something about Capcom porting both REmake and Zero to the PS3 and Xbox. I really hope they do and this is not jsut a rumor.

If RE2 or RE3 is to be remade, make it like REmake was for the NGC.

I see nothing wrong with the CVX update. It just reinforces my theory though that the average gamer anymore has a shorter attention span and games are suffering because company pander too much to those who can't sit for 2 hours  to play a game. I'm not really an elitist but over the past decade, I've noticed a decline in complexity in most games. 

That little fit aside, I loved RE4 as I played through countless times but you're right when you say it didn't feel like a true RE game. As far as the RE0 and REmake rumors, I would dust off my 360 just for those games. I bought my Gamecube just for those two. 

Mar 11, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #10 of 354

Quote:
Another Amnesia vote. Play it with headphones with all the lights off. Bring clean undies.

Did this, Laughed most of the game; People found it scary?
I sat down and played it through in one go. Really didn't find it scary at all.

Quote:
Patiently waiting for the HD collection of SH since they resolved the VA issues. Still, SH3 will be altered as they couldn't reach Heather Morris apparently and the guy who played Douglas died not long after the release of 3. 

Waiting for a review on Downpour before I touch it. 

Damn...that's to back about silent hill, HOWEVER I don't think the voices of the characters really made a huge impact on the game it's self. Downpour looks to be very good but judging from the last few train wrecks I'm also very apprehensive.

Resident evil stopped being horror the second you punch a bolder. RE4 was pretty good and pretty scary but 5 and now 6 just look like a joke.

Anyone remember Parasite Eve? Loved the first one, still get freaked out but he dog...

Mar 11, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #11 of 354
You're so manly and cool. 
wink.gif

Quote:

Mar 11, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #12 of 354
I've got Parasite Eve 1, 2, and the 3rd Birthday. Great games man! I love the second the most as I loath RPG types, like the first game. 3rd Birthday was OK but wasn't true to the main story...

Quote:

Damn...that's to back about silent hill, HOWEVER I don't think the voices of the characters really made a huge impact on the game it's self. Downpour looks to be very good but judging from the last few train wrecks I'm also very apprehensive.

Resident evil stopped being horror the second you punch a bolder. RE4 was pretty good and pretty scary but 5 and now 6 just look like a joke.

Anyone remember Parasite Eve? Loved the first one, still get freaked out but he dog...

Mar 11, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #13 of 354
Damn you guys have more balls than me. I had doom 3 on my pc and i go to the part when i had to go investigate why this place waaayy out on the edge of the base went dark and i was like HELL NO!! Never played again! (I dont do horror)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back