The Official Horror game Thread!! Lets put those headphones to good use!
Mar 11, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #16 of 354
To me DOOM 3 wasn't even scary at all. I beat it in one sitting.

Quote:
Damn you guys have more balls than me. I had doom 3 on my pc and i go to the part when i had to go investigate why this place waaayy out on the edge of the base went dark and i was like HELL NO!! Never played again! (I dont do horror)

I didn't find Catherine scary at all. If you want scary/creepy then look to Amy, it's a darn good game.

Quote:
~.Catherine.~

Mar 11, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #18 of 354

Quote:

I didn't find Catherine scary at all. If you want scary/creepy then look to Amy, it's a darn good game.

I can think of little more frightening than being locked in a relationship you despise for the rest of your life.

Really though, Catherine wasn't supposed to be "BOO! BLAAARG!" scary. It invoked more subtle, social horrors in the form of tension-building gameplay.

Mar 11, 2012 at 3:15 AM Post #19 of 354

Quote:
I've got Parasite Eve 1, 2, and the 3rd Birthday. Great games man! I love the second the most as I loath RPG types, like the first game. 3rd Birthday was OK but wasn't true to the main story...

I loved those games. Well, 1 and 2 anyways. I've lost interest in JRPGs but PE1 was always different. PE2 was amazing but it was compared to RE2 too much for some reason.

Mar 11, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #20 of 354
I felt it was very similar to RE2. It had team members from the prototype version of RE2 working on it, so that maybe why!

Quote:
I loved those games. Well, 1 and 2 anyways. I've lost interest in JRPGs but PE1 was always different. PE2 was amazing but it was compared to RE2 too much for some reason.

Mar 11, 2012 at 3:27 AM Post #21 of 354

Quote:
I felt it was very similar to RE2. It had team members from the prototype version of RE2 working on it, so that maybe why!

I can see the similarities for sure but combat was very different. The stories were similar'ish but I always felt there was enough distinction between them that made it slightly unfair. 

Though at the end, both had you up against so sort of giant blob thing be it the pink Staypuft thing or William.

Mar 11, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #23 of 354

Quote:
Amnesia, a machine for pigs should be fairly interesting. They say it`s supposed to be way more scary than the first game. Hope it will live up to expectation

Hopefully... I didn't find the Dark Descent to be very scary, but my friend lost his mind when he played it. Interested to see how he reacts when playing the new one.

Dead Space was scarier than Amnesia, but still not that scary. I haven't played a very scary game since DOOM 1 and 2.

Mar 11, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #24 of 354
Amnesia loses its scares ones you realize that for most of the game, there's just you and the dark.

Mar 11, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #25 of 354
it had some nice suspension to it, but I was never really scared either. Best attempt I have played so far tbh. 
The penumbra series is supposed to be scary aswell, but haven`t tried it myself so can`t really say much more than that. 
Key thing is with horror games is that you have to be in the right kind of mood. Let yourself dwell in it so immersion factor is much higher. Good sound, shut off the lights, and just focus. It usually works, if not, take some shrooms or light it up. lol

Mar 11, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #26 of 354

I feel trolled by this entire bolded part.

Doom 1 and 2...?
confused_face(1).gif

Quote:
Hopefully... I didn't find the Dark Descent to be very scary, but my friend lost his mind when he played it. Interested to see how he reacts when playing the new one.

Dead Space was scarier than Amnesia, but still not that scary. I haven't played a very scary game since DOOM 1 and 2.

Mar 11, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #27 of 354
I do too. DOOM 1 and 2 are not scary at all. They are quite humorous to me.

Dead Space made made me crap myself more than once, especially in the med lab area where the main lights go out and some pulsating lights go on. All hell breaks loose in there.. To many times have I crapped myself in that game.

Quote:

Doom 1 and 2...?
confused_face(1).gif

Mar 11, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #28 of 354

Quote:
Amnesia loses its scares ones you realize that for most of the game, there's just you and the dark.

This. I mean the monsters are broad casted so aggressively I found it hard to not avoid the monster. Searching room for item, Oh noes the monster coming after you, Keep searching the room. Monster walks in on opposite side of the room, follow it around the room keeping to it's back, it leaves, music stops, I leave.

Mar 11, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #29 of 354

Quote:

Doom 1 and 2...?
confused_face(1).gif

I can understand him a bit. Amnesia to me wasn't scary at all. I don't like the feeling of helplessness there from the start but rather a build up of it. Silent Hill is a great example. Sure you have a gun but teh deeper into the game you get, the more the town itself screws with you leaving you to feel insignificant. For me, I prefer that over the straight anxiety Amnesia had to offer. 

As far as Dead Space goes, I loved both games but never found them scary. I jumped once or twice but the fear wasn't really there for me. And Doom... finding a portal to Hell on Mars is an odd plot. I could never take it seriously. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back