The Official Horror game Thread!! Lets put those headphones to good use!
Mar 11, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #31 of 354
Oh heck no!!! I can barely play Amnesia when my cousin comes over with speakers and lights on...........for some reason i can't stand these games, maybe because they're interactive? I can barely watch the youtube videos of other people playing
tongue.gif
But yet, i will go see a horror movie by myself all the time lol

Mar 11, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #33 of 354
Bro very glad somebody putted on this thread about horror games,not really in the subject,but its worth as sometimes is a good alternative from horror movies and their soundtracks!!

At the moment i got just my 4 years old samsung notebook ,as music source and internet and game station (even since is more almost 2 years i am not able to play any good game due to the overheating of all hardware when pushing it to the limit,for god sake,now,in the plenty of the hottest summer,even the "modestest" demanding application could literally cook and egg on my keyboard surface!!) and definitively i had a good time when play Dead Space in the dark with my forgivable sony headset!!one of the greatest horror games.
i remember,almost 14 years ago,when with little financial help (i was 14 year old) i got my playstation 1 with fifa 98 and resident evil 2,and at my friend house (his dad had a bigger screen and a 5.1 -or similar- dolby surround) we had a lot of suspense and scary moments!!
i hope in the future i can be able to play dead space 2 somewhere or somewhen ,as i am a zombie culture aficionado!!
salute

Mar 11, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #34 of 354

Quote:
Dead Space 2 on headset. Likely using surround sound too. Would be fun to try.:

it would be nice to play like this,but with a harder difficulty instead,does seems he is playing at easier mode.how much the whole simulation system should cost!if less than 300  dollars would be an interesting price!!
sorry double post
salute

Mar 12, 2012 at 6:27 AM Post #35 of 354
Horror Games don't do much for me, though F.E.A.R. 2 scared the crap out of me. Alma.... she gives me nightmares. Didn't play enough of the first, and didn't play the 3rd one.

The one game series that I wouldn't play through because it scared me to death was Fatal Frame. Holy smokes...

Anyone play the Fear Effect games on the Playstation? I loved those, though they weren't really what I call scary.

I dunno why people think Resident Evil or Dead Space are scary. Nothing about them is scary. Thrillers maybe, horror? Not so much.

Mar 12, 2012 at 6:50 AM Post #36 of 354
I have to agree with some people here. Dead space is a geat game the first game to feel next gen to me. When I first went on the bridge with all those asteroids floating around I was amazed. Although I have a like for art style with contrasting colors an the dark space with the light grey rock looked great to me.

But I would not call it scary. More of nerve racking since stuff kept jumping at you. So it would make you jump for sure. I just just never felt it was scarry.

Don't get me wrong I loved the game. So much so it was the reason I got into this headphone hobby. Hoped it would add to the game and make it scarier. Since my surround system sucks and I game mostly after 2am.

Mar 12, 2012 at 7:44 AM Post #37 of 354
I think the issue lies in the fact that "scary" can be hard to define. There are many synonyms which can mean subtly different things: startling, tense, disturbing. Plus we're all very unique when it comes to what scares us, and our past experiences and phobias largely informs this. Something that one person may find to be no big deal may be horrifying to another.

Take Dead Space for example. I would call that game "intense" because of the quick reaction times and reflexes needed to cope with the enemies, and also "startling" because of the propensity for said enemies to suddenly appear. What sets Dead Space apart for me however is the sense of decay and decomposition that permeates the game. There's this sensation of rottenness, not as in that game being bad, but as in a certain perversity or corruption in everything around you. Because of this Dead Space is a game I'd personally describe as "disturbing." All-in-all the combination of tension, knee-jerk reactions, and decay make Dead Space the videogame equivalent of an amphetamine binge.

Also I'd like to mention that in my opinion "horror" is not the same as "scary." Horror is a genre, and as such it's informed by a certain set of qualities that may not even include scariness. It's the same reason many old Universal Studios monster movies are still classified as horror despite their not being particularly scary to modern audiences. There's a camp-factor and a lineage that some people respect in and of itself, and even though something may not be overtly frightening, it can be recognized as belonging to the genre as such. Horror as a genre explores people's less pleasant inner emotions and questions the structure of day-to-day existence. It disrupts the comfort of daily routine, and it often triggers introspection which can lead to a greater appreciation for life.

Mar 12, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #38 of 354
wow,Muppet,well putted!!are you a Psychology student?hahaha
i agree completely,there are a lots of subjective variables around what could you describe a horror,suspence and thriller game or movie,and the way everyone involve itself when it comes to play a darker game or watch a horror movie,changing consequently our own`s reaction.

Mar 12, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #39 of 354

Quote:
Damn you guys have more balls than me. I had doom 3 on my pc and i go to the part when i had to go investigate why this place waaayy out on the edge of the base went dark and i was like HELL NO!! Never played again! (I dont do horror)

File name*

Also, seems like downpour is going to be a huge dissapointment, might as well play through homecoming once again :/ at least until HD collection drops.
Also just had a thought...other than getting a DAC i can use with my ps3, I can now plug my amp into my TV and use my headphones!!!! SQWEE!!!

Mar 12, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #40 of 354

Quote:
Horror Games don't do much for me, though F.E.A.R. 2 scared the crap out of me. Alma.... she gives me nightmares. Didn't play enough of the first, and didn't play the 3rd one.
The one game series that I wouldn't play through because it scared me to death was Fatal Frame. Holy smokes...
Anyone play the Fear Effect games on the Playstation? I loved those, though they weren't really what I call scary.
I dunno why people think Resident Evil or Dead Space are scary. Nothing about them is scary. Thrillers maybe, horror? Not so much.

Find "All of our friends are dead" sound design alone is enough to give you night mares. Why is it that a flash game can be scarier than a big budget game? As for fear effect, LOVED IT!!!!

UPDATED OP POST WITH HORROR GAME LIST

Also a game I feel needs MUCH more love than it ever received, Call of Cathulu:DCoTE, Running from a bunch of men with mean cleavers through a hotel then through a town after watching some one get hacked to bits and there's no warning that you will have to RUN, close and lock, continue on, and evade obstacles around every corner is a very jarring moment in gaming. Much more so than Amnesia as you cannot hide in COC:DCoTE

Mar 13, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #41 of 354
Anybody played The darkness 2? been watching some trailers..and i can get it for cheap. Thoughts? 

Mar 13, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #42 of 354

Quote:
Anybody played The darkness 2? been watching some trailers..and i can get it for cheap. Thoughts? 

it makes you feel like a monster. YOU ARE A MONSTER FOR PLAYING THIS GAME. Easily one of the most graphic games i have seen in a long time, and your the one doing the graphic things.

Mar 14, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #43 of 354
I actually like Darkness 2 a lot. It's dark, gritty, and gory.... just the way I like it. I find the first game to be better as it was a lot like The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay, but Darkness 2 is an action FPS game. It has a lot more emphasis and using your darkness powers than the first game and encourages you to kill your enemies in some really grotesque way. You end up feeling like you ARE the darkness and you are incredibly powerful.

I have Call of Cathulu on my PC. And I know which part you speak of with the hotel, hurry up block/lock the doors, they are coming! Also, moms in the attic :wink:

Since this is a horror game thread, here's my Resident Evil game collection :wink: I have 130'ish Resident Evil games, most of the others are packed up. Everything from the top row to the third row is Resident Evil games :wink:

Mar 14, 2012 at 4:08 AM Post #44 of 354

^^AWESOME :O
Dead space on a good surround system ( or HP ) will be great.

And who not a single mention of doom 3? Try doom 3 on a good system ( sound and video ) with you being alone in a silent , dark room , am sure doom 3 will do its magic.

Mar 14, 2012 at 5:03 AM Post #45 of 354

Quote:
And who not a single mention of doom 3? Try doom 3 on a good system ( sound and video ) with you being alone in a silent , dark room , am sure doom 3 will do its magic.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/600290/the-official-horror-game-thread-lets-put-those-headphones-to-good-use#post_8215950

http://www.head-fi.org/t/600290/the-official-horror-game-thread-lets-put-those-headphones-to-good-use/15#post_8215981

Users who are viewing this thread

Back