The PENON official thread
Jan 14, 2021 at 1:37 AM Post #1,711 of 13,975
That's in the recording, i.e. bad mastering, re-mastering.
And those are quite few and most importantly very tolerable.
This was the very 1st track i played upon receipt of the Fan (for sibilance). Turned out more than acceptable.

Next was

To try out the Mids character & tonality, i.e. is it fluid, dry, etc & is it rich, warm or neutral?

I use this track to detect sibilance:

Jan 14, 2021 at 2:53 AM Post #1,712 of 13,975
Lot of things to be done up till 2200. Coffee didn't help much.
Maybe this'll keep me up.
Let's play something loud...
IMG_20210113_112444.jpg
:L3000:

Jan 14, 2021 at 3:32 AM Post #1,714 of 13,975
Penon shipped today, usually I have to wait no about 20 to 30 days. Really excited, first 1DD IEM that I will own and looking forward how Fan can compete to FH3, H40 and Orb (last two I don't own anymore, just can compare from my experience).

You disposed of H40 and Orb in favor of FH3?

Based on reviews I've read, FH3 has the biggest amount of subbass compared to those two you disposed of. Is that true?

Jan 14, 2021 at 3:52 AM Post #1,715 of 13,975
You disposed of H40 and Orb in favor of FH3?

Based on reviews I've read, FH3 has the biggest amount of subbass compared to those two you disposed of. Is that true?
Yes, H40 was sometimes (movies and games for example) too boomy for my taste, still I loved the overall tuning. And they were a little bit big for my ears, after 1 or 2 hours it hurts a little.
Orb had the best (sub-)bass of all 3, so delicious. But the lack of some highs and upper mids let them sound a little bit boring for my taste.

Orb had more sub-bass, H40 more mid-bass, but FH3 has also good quantity and especially quality of bass. Overall more bassy than the Orb but less bassy than the H40.

But that's just what I remember, I just could compare the Orb to the H40 and not the FH3, sold the Orb very quickly.

Jan 14, 2021 at 4:16 AM Post #1,716 of 13,975
Yes, H40 was sometimes (movies and games for example) too boomy for my taste, still I loved the overall tuning. And they were a little bit big for my ears, after 1 or 2 hours it hurts a little.
Orb had the best (sub-)bass of all 3, so delicious. But the lack of some highs and upper mids let them sound a little bit boring for my taste.

Orb had more sub-bass, H40 more mid-bass, but FH3 has also good quantity and especially quality of bass. Overall more bassy than the Orb but less bassy than the H40.

But that's just what I remember, I just could compare the Orb to the H40 and not the FH3, sold the Orb very quickly.
How do you feel was the soundstage of Orb compared to FH3?

Jan 14, 2021 at 4:54 AM Post #1,718 of 13,975

Upper trebles are some listeners would like to hear more out from the Orbs.
As for the Fans, cymbals, hi hats abound, with quality to boot.
The Sub bass are there, too. The Mids are Neutral in tone, not thin, not thick. just neutral...

Jan 14, 2021 at 5:40 AM Post #1,719 of 13,975

Regarding this, Fan will probably have a better fit for you since it's smaller than both of the above. Bass is also more tamed but decent enough.

Jan 14, 2021 at 6:09 AM Post #1,720 of 13,975
Jan 14, 2021 at 6:13 AM Post #1,721 of 13,975
Upper trebles are some listeners would like to hear more out from the Orbs.
As for the Fans, cymbals, hi hats abound, with quality to boot.
The Sub bass are there, too. The Mids are Neutral in tone, not thin, not thick. just neutral...
Exactly. Some more upper treble would have put it into perfection category.

Jan 14, 2021 at 6:22 AM Post #1,722 of 13,975
I have the Penon Fan being delivered on Monday 18th hopefully. I'm sure I will pay some extra duty and charges through Fedex, but so be it. I don't have the higher end Penon IEM's, the Orb or the Volt to compare it with. I'll be comparing with the ISN DO2, iBasso it00, the Moondrop Starfield and the KBear Believe.......all single DD's. They are a very good looking package. Penon are at the top of their game at the moment.
I am interested what they sound like from a 4.4mm with some extra power. I'll be using them through a iFi Hip-Dac 4.4mm or a HiBy R5 4.4mm. Does more juice make much of a difference with them?

Jan 14, 2021 at 6:52 AM Post #1,723 of 13,975
Exactly. Some more upper treble would have put it into perfection category.

The best from Orbs i got is using the fabulous Xelastec tips.
Squeezing the last drip of brilliance it can give...

Jan 14, 2021 at 7:12 AM Post #1,724 of 13,975
I have the Penon Fan being delivered on Monday 18th hopefully. I'm sure I will pay some extra duty and charges through Fedex, but so be it. I don't have the higher end Penon IEM's, the Orb or the Volt to compare it with. I'll be comparing with the ISN DO2, iBasso it00, the Moondrop Starfield and the KBear Believe.......all single DD's. They are a very good looking package. Penon are at the top of their game at the moment.
I am interested what they sound like from a 4.4mm with some extra power. I'll be using them through a iFi Hip-Dac 4.4mm or a HiBy R5 4.4mm. Does more juice make much of a difference with them?

If that's your source & power stage, then you'll be in for a treat!
Playing 60-70s, 80s-90s albums, that don't believe in loudness mastering, put the Fan into a medium efficient load.
Otherwise w/ modern recordings, it's still borderline low efficient, as i tried to play them in a phone w/ 0.38v output. They did very, very well...

Jan 14, 2021 at 7:53 AM Post #1,725 of 13,975

I look forward to your comparisons. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back