The sound of the Ultrasone Pro (Proline) 750 Headphones
Jun 20, 2008 at 11:53 PM Post #16 of 467
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you considered that those other sounds outside your head maybe really all in your head, if you know what I mean.
wink.gif

X2. I really am wondering the same thing. So postioning and ear size matters with these cans? What are the recommended ear size does Ultrasone recommend?

Edit: Not if you use mind altering things, but if they really do make the sounds of the instruments and or vocals sound like they are 3d outside of your head?

Jun 20, 2008 at 11:54 PM Post #17 of 467
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO, this is rude and completely inappropriate Peter. I ask you a very serious question, and this is how you reply? The tone of my question was not "disrespectful" IMO, so now that you know that, it would be completely out-of-line to unjustly say things like that again (that is IMO, of course).

Very funny. But, if you want to really know what it would sound like to stick a violin through your head, I would have to know which orifice you would want the violin to be stuck through. I would imagine that if you inserted the violin through your ears it would sound a lot louder and generally different than if you inserted it through your mouth (the sound of which would probably include a lot of gagging, IMO).

Jun 20, 2008 at 11:55 PM Post #18 of 467
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Pinna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I completely and absolutely disagree. IMO, the Ultrasone Pro 750 headphones are one of the best sounding headphones I've ever heard. And, believe me, I've heard a lot of headphones.

Please provide at least a partial list of phones on which you are basing your comparisons.

Jun 20, 2008 at 11:57 PM Post #19 of 467
Quote:

Very funny. But, if you want to really know what it would sound like to stick a violin through your head, I would have to know which orifice you would want the violin to be stuck through. I would imagine that if you inserted the violin through your ears it would sound a lot louder and generally different than if you inserted it through your mouth (the sound of which would probably include a lot of gagging, IMO).

I wish you wouldn't make fun of my question when you already know I am being serious, that's very childish of you. I thought you were serious about having a discussion on the Ultrasone Pro (Proline) 750 Headphones and their "surround sound effect", guess I was wrong.

Jun 21, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #20 of 467
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm just wondering what you hope to accomplish here. Are you hoping to convert others to the 750? Do you intend to learn anything while here? Do you have any relationship to Ultrasone or any affiliate or business partner thereof?

Basically, what's your deal?

I am simply sharing what I enjoy. I don't try to convert anyone about anything (unless, of course, it's a matter of life and death) but if someone decides to, at least, try the Pro 750's, that will be OK with me. I'm always looking to learn and I want to make it clear that if I found a pair of headphones that I like better than the Pro 750's, the members of this forum would be among the first to know. In no way am I affiliated with Ultrasone other than owning a pair of their headphones. Are they on the stock exchange? If they are, I might buy some of their stock.
I do not mind at all if people make it known to me that they disagree with me about the sound of the Pro 750's or about the idea that they prefer another headphone's sound. If they do prefer another headphone's sound, I would like to know why, in a detailed comparison, if possible.

Jun 21, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #21 of 467
Quote:

Originally Posted by riceboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2. I really am wondering the same thing. So postioning and ear size matters with these cans? What are the recommended ear size does Ultrasone recommend?

Edit: Not if you use mind altering things, but if they really do make the sounds of the instruments and or vocals sound like they are 3d outside of your head?

I don't know is the best answer I can give to your question about ear size. You will need to ask those who came up with the theory pertaining to that. From personal experience, I have noticed a difference in tone and spatiality with different positions on the ear.
Regarding hearing sounds outside of your head when listening through the Pro 750's, what I indicated in my original post is how I hear it.

Jun 21, 2008 at 12:12 AM Post #22 of 467
The Proline 2500 exhibit a much more pronounced "S-Logic" surround sound--a spherical headstage, which I found unnatural--than the 750. To me the 750 sounded wide, left-to-right, but not as high (up-and-down), with front-to-back about as deep as the headstage was high, and more behind than in front of the head. I found the dispersion more ellipsoidal, and more believable than what the 2500 produced.

Jun 21, 2008 at 12:22 AM Post #23 of 467
Quote:

I am simply sharing what I enjoy. I don't try to convert anyone about anything (unless, of course, it's a matter of life and death) but if someone decides to, at least, try the Pro 750's, that will be OK with me. I'm always looking to learn and I want to make it clear that if I found a pair of headphones that I like better than the Pro 750's, the members of this forum would be among the first to know. In no way am I affiliated with Ultrasone other than owning a pair of their headphones. Are they on the stock exchange? If they are, I might buy some of their stock.
I do not mind at all if people make it known to me that they disagree with me about the sound of the Pro 750's or about the idea that they prefer another headphone's sound. If they do prefer another headphone's sound, I would like to know why, in a detailed comparison, if possible.

Thanks for your informative reply. Now if you can provide a list of the phones against which you have formed your opinion, it would be very helpful. For example, if you think the 750 is superior to the O2, that would be very interesting. I'm sure a list of your comparators would provide a very useful point of reference for those of us who don't have as much experience with the 750 (but who have heard enough to form an opinion).

Jun 21, 2008 at 12:51 AM Post #24 of 467
Peter Pinnas:

have you tried these headphones with an after-market cable? I am interested in your opinions on this, as I've heard that it can radically change the sound of these depending on the type of wire and diameter. I think there is someone here that makes Germanium (sp?) cables that might pair well with these.

Thank you!

Jun 21, 2008 at 12:55 AM Post #25 of 467
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please provide at least a partial list of phones on which you are basing your comparisons.

Over the years, because of the projects in which I've been involved, I've heard a lot of different headphones dating back to the early 1970's. In their time, some of these headphones were considered to be "top of the line". I remember back then, there was a Koss headphone (I don't remember the model name) that was very popular in recording studios.
Since then, I have had the opportunity to use headphones by AKG (I really like their microphones), Beyerdynamic, Sony, Sennheiser and Bose. There were probably others that I'm not remembering now.
Most recently, of the Beyerdynamic line I've heard the DT 770's mostly and to a lesser extent the DT 990's. I very much liked the DT 990's. The DT 770's, while still being a nice sounding headphone, I didn't care for as much as the DT 990's.
I don't remember the Sony models I've heard but there was something about the sound that was consistent in both of their phones I heard. That sound was OK but not my personal preference. There was something somehow more than usual artificial sounding about it, IMO.
I've heard two headphones somewhat recently by AKG. One was the K701 and the other one was (I think) the K201. When I heard the (possibly) K201, it was a very quick listen that lasted about 5 minutes. So, I would need to go and listen again to make a fair assessment. The K701, I've listened to more and while I think it is a nice mellow, accurate sounding headphone, there is something too light about them in the lower frequencies, IMO. The "String" / Stand Up and Electric Basses sound like they are not "all there" to me, when listening to the K701, IMO.
I don't really care for the sound of Bose headphones. I'll leave it at that.
I've also listened to one of the Sennheiser headphones. I don't remember now which one it was. It was in a recording studio. I have not heard the HD 650 but I would like to hear it.
I have also not heard the Dennon AH-D5000 or the Ultrasone Ed.9.
I would appreciate hearing about comparison opinions of the Sennheiser HD 650 to the Ultrasone Pro 750 and the same for the Dennon AH -D 5000. I have heard and read that the Ultrasone Ed 9 is preferred by some to the Pro 750, but that price! Yikes!

Jun 21, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #26 of 467
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish you wouldn't make fun of my question when you already know I am being serious, that's very childish of you. I thought you were serious about having a discussion on the Ultrasone Pro (Proline) 750 Headphones and their "surround sound effect", guess I was wrong.

I'll have to answer you later. Right now, I have to get this violin bow out of my ear.

(P.S. I hope you are enjoying this as much as I am.)
wink.gif

Jun 21, 2008 at 1:09 AM Post #27 of 467
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Proline 2500 exhibit a much more pronounced "S-Logic" surround sound--a spherical headstage, which I found unnatural--than the 750. To me the 750 sounded wide, left-to-right, but not as high (up-and-down), with front-to-back about as deep as the headstage was high, and more behind than in front of the head. I found the dispersion more ellipsoidal, and more believable than what the 2500 produced.

In addition to my having a necessity for closed headphones, I also prefer the sound of the Pro 750 to the 2500. Your comments and analysis are very interesting. With your comments in mind, I will have to listen again to the Pro 2500's.
Thanks for writing.

Jun 21, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #28 of 467
Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Peter Pinnas:

have you tried these headphones with an after-market cable? I am interested in your opinions on this, as I've heard that it can radically change the sound of these depending on the type of wire and diameter. I think there is someone here that makes Germanium (sp?) cables that might pair well with these.

Thank you!

I've never used an after market cable. I've only used the original Ultrasone cable. If you find there is a considerable improvement in the sound by using another cable, by all means, let me know.
Thanks for writing.

Jun 21, 2008 at 2:20 AM Post #29 of 467
Quote:

I'll have to answer you later. Right now, I have to get this violin bow out of my ear.

(P.S. I hope you are enjoying this as much as I am.)
wink.gif

You really are a very rude man aren't you? Maybe I'll have to explain myself more to get you to stop being so disrespectful.

We all know you can hear sounds from "outside" your head, like in real life or with speakers, and you can hear sounds "inside" your head, like with most headphones. But what if a sound crossed the "boundary" between the two and was both at the same time. Have you ever been swimming? When you try to see above and below the water at the same time, there is a blurred line between the two, one doesn't just suddenly stop and the other start. Maybe there is the same thing with sound, where it does not continue smoothly from inside to outside your head, but there is a blurred area where it changes over. It is too philosophical of a question maybe, but it is still a valid question.

You talk so much of the Ultrasone Pro (Proline) headphones being able to reproduce such amazing "surround sound effects" that I wondered if they could do this too. I asked you about it and was very specific that it is a serious question, since you seem to know so much about this subject, but instead you've been nothing but a jerk and mocked my question. I am extremely disappointed by this, and hope that all Ultrasone users do not act the same way as you to people curious about the Ultrasone headphones. Congratulations Peter, you've completely turned me off of ever trying Ultrasone headphones again in the future.

Jun 21, 2008 at 2:20 AM Post #30 of 467
Peter, based on the phones you have heard (and thank you for providing that info, albeit a bit vague), I suggest you attend a local meet to hear what you might be missing. Your list suggests that you have plenty of fun comparisons to conduct in the future. I think you will have fun doing it as there are many truly outstanding headphones that you have not heard. I look forward to your impressions down the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back