The sound of the Ultrasone Pro (Proline) 750 Headphones
Jun 21, 2008 at 1:03 PM Post #46 of 467
I bought a new pair of Pro-750 drivers for a frankenphone project after hearing one of my customer's Pro-750 he had me recable. I was nothing but impressed by their sound but I am not a fan of Ultrasone's chassis. I'm still tweaking the frankenphone but I already love their sound sig and SQ. Keep in mind, these are brand new drivers and I would not consider them overly bright or harsh and I am someone who is real sensitive to treble. Anything that is remotely harsh in the highs, I cringe. I cut a lot of slack to headphones with rolled off highs since I tend to focus on lows and mids. But with the Pro-750s, I'm a happy camper. I think they do an excellent job across the entire sound spectrum. This weekend I'm custom building a baffle for the drivers similar in vain to Ultrasone's S-Logic to gain more space in the sound sig.

Of course, one thing to keep in mind is that these new drivers went into a chassis that I had already recabled. From my experience of recabling many HFI-780s, Ultrasone's really respond to better cabling. The stuff they use is really not very good and also causes, IMO, the sound sig to constantly change. I've heard a number of stories of people saying that the sound of their headphones kept changing even after 100s of hours.

Jun 21, 2008 at 3:30 PM Post #47 of 467
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought a new pair of Pro-750 drivers for a frankenphone project after hearing one of my customer's Pro-750 he had me recable. I was nothing but impressed by their sound but I am not a fan of Ultrasone's chassis. I'm still tweaking the frankenphone but I already love their sound sig and SQ. Keep in mind, these are brand new drivers and I would not consider them overly bright or harsh and I am someone who is real sensitive to treble. Anything that is remotely harsh in the highs, I cringe. I cut a lot of slack to headphones with rolled off highs since I tend to focus on lows and mids. But with the Pro-750s, I'm a happy camper. I think they do an excellent job across the entire sound spectrum. This weekend I'm custom building a baffle for the drivers similar in vain to Ultrasone's S-Logic to gain more space in the sound sig.

Of course, one thing to keep in mind is that these new drivers went into a chassis that I had already recabled. From my experience of recabling many HFI-780s, Ultrasone's really respond to better cabling. The stuff they use is really not very good and also causes, IMO, the sound sig to constantly change. I've heard a number of stories of people saying that the sound of their headphones kept changing even after 100s of hours.

My 750's
biggrin.gif
hehe

Yea i love the 750's, they sound so pure and so refined. Amazing bass, and wide soundstage. I can't understand how people wouldn't like these.. whatev

Jun 21, 2008 at 4:28 PM Post #48 of 467
Are there cables mods for the 750 that doesnt need to be modded.

Like how you use the org cables. Like instead of modding them to use the S2, Isnt there ones that you can just plug into it. You get what i mean?

Because if so then maybe in the future when I win the lotto I prolly get some but I just want to know do they exist. or do they all have to be modded inside the headphones.

Jun 21, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #49 of 467
1. The Proline 750 is my favorite current-production headphone (not having heard the Edition 9's yet
wink.gif
).
2. The Proline 750 is among my top five all-time headphones.
3. The Proline 750 has the best bass (deep, accurate, textured, layered) bass I've ever heard in a headphone, bar none, including the Stax O2 (MkI anyway).
4. The Proline 750's demand a good source.
5. All headphones are a compromise compared to speakers or live music, but the Proline 750's give me more of a natural, near-speaker-like experience than any standard headphone I've heard (maybe well-driven Qualia 010's are close or better in that regard). Are they magic? No. No headphone is.

All my opinion, of course.

Jun 21, 2008 at 7:34 PM Post #50 of 467
Quote:

Originally Posted by genclaymore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are there cables mods for the 750 that doesnt need to be modded.

Like how you use the org cables. Like instead of modding them to use the S2, Isnt there ones that you can just plug into it. You get what i mean?

Because if so then maybe in the future when I win the lotto I prolly get some but I just want to know do they exist. or do they all have to be modded inside the headphones.

You don't have to replace the internal wiring but honestly, it is the worst part of the OEM cable.

Jun 21, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #51 of 467
I've never heard the 750's but from what I understand, the 2500's (of which I am a proud owner) are pretty close sounding except for being open as opposed to closed. The only thing I can really say about my prolines is that I absolutely LOVE them.

I am a big fan of trance/house/electronica but I listen to most genres and these babies were exactly what I was looking for, I first purchased the HD650's and was severely disappointed with the infamous Sennheiser veil. Now my music is clear, vibrant with lots of attack. Bass is practically perfect, shaped, accurate with punch, doesn't sound "blobby" like the 650s. Treble was harsh and offensive at first but after some burn-in, it also sounds accurate with lots of detail. I do love the soundstage on them as well, its not overkill but I can still pinpoint instruments location.

At the end of the day I can use lots of imagery and big descriptive words but theres only one thing that matters - when I listen to music, my toes tap, my head nods and I now have a beaming smile on my face which my Senns didnt give.
biggrin.gif

For anyone whos considering Ultrasones, dont take notice of people slagging them off here (like the one fool who says they're the worst ever... seriously dude?) or Peter's hyperactive over-zealous fanboyism. As a music fan and not a headpone zealot, the Prolines have given me nothing but joy. Give them a go and you wont regret it
smily_headphones1.gif
(just remember to give them lots of burn-in, they sounded awful at first).

Jun 22, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #53 of 467
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. The Proline 750 is my favorite current-production headphone (not having heard the Edition 9's yet
wink.gif
).
2. The Proline 750 is among my top five all-time headphones.
3. The Proline 750 has the best bass (deep, accurate, textured, layered) bass I've ever heard in a headphone, bar none, including the Stax O2 (MkI anyway).
4. The Proline 750's demand a good source.
5. All headphones are a compromise compared to speakers or live music, but the Proline 750's give me more of a natural, near-speaker-like experience than any standard headphone I've heard (maybe well-driven Qualia 010's are close or better in that regard). Are they magic? No. No headphone is.

All my opinion, of course.

And, thank you for those opinions with which I mostly tend to agree.

Jun 22, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #54 of 467
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Pinna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you for your opinion. As you might have expected, my opinion of the Pro 750's and it's sound qualities is very much the opposite of yours. I have spent a lot of time with musicians. Of the headphones I've heard in their default state, the Pro 750's most accurately reproduce the sound of the "live" instruments, IMO. This includes brass instruments. Some people can not seem to handle the high end frequencies of "live" brass instruments. By way of comparison, I am used to the sound of the "live" brass as well as other instruments. So the high end frequencies of the Pro 750's do not bother me in the least. Actually, I enjoy it because it sounds to my ears like the instruments really sound "live". Indeed, right now I am listening via the Proline 750's, to a "live" performance recording of Count Basie and his Orchestra. And, believe me, at times the horns are really "up there"!

This is certainly not any sort of commentary on taste or you personally or professionally. In fact, I find it fascinating that the 750s more than virtually any other headphone we've considered has evoked this many strong feelings and viewpoints. It is rare that you see this kind of complete polarity on any particular product, much less headphones. I didn't like them; you did. Obviously others don't like them; some do. That's fine and that's why we are all here. My opinion is based on what I heard, not my feelings about your experience. Like I said, really interesting.

Jun 22, 2008 at 2:46 AM Post #55 of 467
Quote:

Originally Posted by hadouken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I first purchased the HD650's and was severely disappointed with the infamous Sennheiser veil. Now my music is clear, vibrant with lots of attack. Bass is practically perfect, shaped, accurate with punch, doesn't sound "blobby" like the 650s.

What amp were you using with the 650?

Jun 22, 2008 at 3:06 AM Post #56 of 467
Quote:

Originally Posted by hadouken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never heard the 750's but from what I understand, the 2500's (of which I am a proud owner) are pretty close sounding except for being open as opposed to closed. The only thing I can really say about my prolines is that I absolutely LOVE them.

I am a big fan of trance/house/electronica but I listen to most genres and these babies were exactly what I was looking for, I first purchased the HD650's and was severely disappointed with the infamous Sennheiser veil. Now my music is clear, vibrant with lots of attack. Bass is practically perfect, shaped, accurate with punch, doesn't sound "blobby" like the 650s. Treble was harsh and offensive at first but after some burn-in, it also sounds accurate with lots of detail. I do love the soundstage on them as well, its not overkill but I can still pinpoint instruments location.

At the end of the day I can use lots of imagery and big descriptive words but theres only one thing that matters - when I listen to music, my toes tap, my head nods and I now have a beaming smile on my face which my Senns didnt give.
biggrin.gif

For anyone whos considering Ultrasones, dont take notice of people slagging them off here (like the one fool who says they're the worst ever... seriously dude?) or Peter's hyperactive over-zealous fanboyism. As a music fan and not a headpone zealot, the Prolines have given me nothing but joy. Give them a go and you wont regret it
smily_headphones1.gif
(just remember to give them lots of burn-in, they sounded awful at first).

Thank you for your comments. I want you to know that I am anything but a "fanboy". (My definition of a "fanboy" is someone who is obsessive about a particular brand and that obsessiveness is based on advertising hype.) When I first started looking at headphones for the most recent purchase (which turned out to be the Proline 750's), my first "investigation" was Bose headphones. I was looking forward to hearing them after reading a lot of hype about them and I was very disappointed with their sound. And, regardless of what their advertisements touted, I wasn't about to buy them.
My point here is that I am not affected by advertisements in a "fanboy" sense.
My admiration for the sound of the Pro 750's is genuine as is my enthusiasm for telling others (who would be interested in "high-end" headphones) about them. I first started being involved in professional situations that involves the use of headphones over 30 years ago. For the most part, during that time, I have to confess that I paid little attention to which brand of headphones that I was using (I was using headphones that belonged to different studios). If I happened to notice the brand of the headphones I was using, it was purely by accident. Actually, it wasn't until about a year ago that I started making something of a study of different headphones and their sound capabilities.
By no means, do I consider myself to be an expert on the subject of headphones. Over the years, my use for headphones was mostly for utilitarian / reference purposes. Occasionally, I would use them for personal listening, preferring, at that time, the sound of speakers, as headphones had not yet evolved to the sound quality where they are today. Even the headphones that were considered at that time to be the best, as recently as 10 to 15 years ago, were thought of, by most people, as a listening device that you use only if you were unable (for whatever reason) to listen to loud speakers. Headphones were not thought of in the same realm of listening character and respectability as they are today. Back then, it is highly doubtful, IMO, that a website (other than the idea that websites didn't exist for part of this time) or a "club" like head-fi would have existed. There just wasn't that much to be enthusiastic about when it came to the subject of headphones.
Today, it is an entirely different situation with headphones.
Approximately a year ago when I first started making more of a study of different brands of headphones and their various sound capabilities and potentials, I came across brands of headphones which I had remembered using in studios. Names such as Sennheiser (more so for their microphones than their headphones), AKG (they have great microphones too), Altec Lansing,
Beyerdynamic, Acoustica Technica, Shure and Sony were ones with which I was familiar, but prior to approximately a year ago, although I had used a few of these brands extensively and others to a less extent, because of heavy involvement in other areas, at that time, I couldn't remember the distinction in sound if one was comparing one brand and/or model of headphone to another. I simply had not made a deliberate study of that.
As I wrote previously, beginning approximately a year ago, I started listening to some of these for the purposes of knowing the sound differences and finding ones that I liked for consistent professional use and for personal use. One of the reasons I had become more interested in finding a headphone that I would use consistently (being familiar with it's sound), had to do with the idea of mixing music with headphones.
Mixing with headphones was unheard of prior to very recently. In fact, not that many years ago, to say that mixing with headphones was considered unprofessional and "looked down on" would be an understatement. A little more than a year ago I found out that a sound engineer was mixing a project in which I had been involved with headphones and I was somewhat annoyed at him for doing this until I heard his mix. I was very impressed with his mix. It was then that I decided to make a study of the current technology headphones.
Approximately six months ago, I thought that I had made a decision on which headphones to buy. I wanted a pair of closed headphones and the ones that I had decided on were the Beyerdynamic DT 770's. I actually preferred the sound of the DT 990's but the DT 990's were open type and I needed closed.
Then, in an "audio store" I discovered the Ultrasone Pro 650's. At first, I wasn't sure if I liked them. They had a very bright sound. The high end was more prominent than the low end. The attendant who was waiting on me, told me that they had been put out for demo purposes only that morning and had not been burned in yet. Something about their sound made me curious and I decided to wait to purchase headphones. I asked the attendant if he could burn them in and I would come back in a few days. He agreed to do this and I ended up coming back about a week later.
On my second visit, along with listening to the Beyerdynamic DT 770's, I listened to the Proline 650's and found myself being much more impressed with their sound. They had mellowed considerably with a burn-in.
The attendant and I talked some more and he asked me for what purpose I would use them. When I told him, he told me that because of the need for hearing more detail and a wider frequency response, it would be better for me to buy the Proline 750's. At first, after hearing that the Proline 750's were more expensive than the Proline 650's, I began to become suspicious of the attendants recommendation. Then, he told me that they didn't sell the Proline 750's. He said they could special order them but they might take several weeks to arrive. So, he suggested that I buy them somewhere else. It was at that point when I realized that his recommendation had been a sincere one.
To "cut to the chase", I ended up buying the Proline 750's and I've never regretted it.
Their sound, to me, is like "art". However, even though I am extremely impressed with their sound, I continue to hunt (whenever possible) for (what I would consider to be) better sounding headphones than the Proline 750's. It isn't that I'm unhappy with their sound, very much the contrary, I'm extremely happy with their sound. The reason I continue to look for better sounding headphone could be summed up like this: the better, the better.
I'm looking forward, at some point to hearing the Ed 9's and a couple of others.
It is highly likely that I would stay with Ultrasone because I really like the sound stage of the Ultrasone headphones I've heard so far. A preference for the Ultrasone sound stage is one of the reasons I chose them over the others I've heard.
And, hadouken, you are correct, IMO, about your comparative assessment of the Pro 2500's to the Pro 750's.

Jun 22, 2008 at 3:11 AM Post #57 of 467
Quote:

Originally Posted by yepyep_ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep the pl750's are great even when using x-fi as a source. Need to get money for a proper dac & amp.

Wait till you hear them with an amp!
If money is tight, for an amp you might want to check out the Behringer Amp 800. It will cost about $40. Do a search in these forums for what I've written about the Behringer Amp 800.

Jun 22, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #58 of 467
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigEat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is certainly not any sort of commentary on taste or you personally or professionally. In fact, I find it fascinating that the 750s more than virtually any other headphone we've considered has evoked this many strong feelings and viewpoints. It is rare that you see this kind of complete polarity on any particular product, much less headphones. I didn't like them; you did. Obviously others don't like them; some do. That's fine and that's why we are all here. My opinion is based on what I heard, not my feelings about your experience. Like I said, really interesting.

Yes, I find it very interesting too. Perhaps one or or more of the theories I wrote about in my original post on this thread could explain the dramatic differences in opinions, I don't know. Or, maybe we are all in the "Headphone Twilight Zone"!
eek.gif

Jun 22, 2008 at 4:20 AM Post #59 of 467
Quote:

And, thank you for those opinions with which I mostly tend to agree.

and that opinion come from a person (jpelg, back in a day) that used to deny potential from Ultrasone's cans...cmiiw !
biggrin.gif

Jun 22, 2008 at 4:27 AM Post #60 of 467
Quote:

Wall of text

For the sake of my eyes, add some space in that sucker.
smily_headphones1.gif

I've been suitably impressed by the way Pro 750's manage to adapt to better sources. I didn't really notice the sibilance that everyone complains about, but I'm willing to chalk that up to my ear...

I still think of all the headphones I've heard though that the 750 bass was bar none the best I've heard. I'm not a basshead, but I was still amazed at what I'd missed coming from other phones.

Anyway, I'm definitely happy for you and I'll be interested to hear your opinions if you find a better phone, I'm still looking around myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back