Topping A90
Jul 27, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #541 of 1,442
My last Topping was D30. :triportsad::triportsad::triportsad::triportsad::triportsad:

The issue that you pretend to know about isn't caused by the SMPS in series, it's simple earth loop hum caused by multiple earthed components. A concept which has been around since the dawn of AC mains. You can remove it using an isolator. Simple.

If you don't want to buy the A90. Don't. No one is forcing you. It doesn't appear that you own one, so why are you forcing your opinion on to others? You're just furious that your D30 didn't perform they way you like and so you berate every single Topping thread. It's shambolic.

Jul 27, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #542 of 1,442
The issue that you pretend to know about isn't caused by the SMPS in series, it's simple earth loop hum caused by multiple earthed components. A concept which has been around since the dawn of AC mains. You can remove it using an isolator. Simple.

If you don't want to buy the A90. Don't. No one is forcing you. It doesn't appear that you own one, so why are you forcing your opinion on to others? You're just furious that your D30 didn't perform they way you like and so you berate every single Topping thread. It's shambolic.
So many sheeps...

Jul 27, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #543 of 1,442

Agreed. It's the equivalent of, "I'm disappointed with my 2016 Malibu, so anyone who buys one of those overhyped 2020 Corvettes is an idiot, even though I've never driven one."

On AVSforum, they have dedicated owners threads for TV's and such. Maybe that's what needs to happen here.

Jul 27, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #544 of 1,442
The issue that you pretend to know about isn't caused by the SMPS in series, [...]Simple.
You didn't hear it from Topping? Did you? :)
I am not going to buy A90 nor other defective products. Rather wait for the company to fix a problem. Alternatively L30, but I expected it for $100. For now is overpriced.

Jul 27, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #546 of 1,442
So much flame in this thread! Pairing is key people. The D90 is dead nuts measured neutral. It is fast and uncolored. Paired with the A90 it can be a bit bright for my HD600 but works perfectly on the 660S. I've never heard my powered monitors sound better with anything other than with D90/A90. With topping gear you are buying a measurement grade device. Not a euphoric/warm one made for enjoyment. With D90 I cannot listen as long as with say Bifrost 2. It is however uncolored and faster. With my speakers and gaming D90/A90 take the front seat. Everything else I've gravitated towards a little bit of warmth/flavor every time. Less perfect measuring? Yes please.

Jul 28, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #547 of 1,442
I have an A90 on my desk currently which a mate has kindly loaned me to take for a spin.
Sources will be Resonessence Concero and NFB11.32 with HD650/TH-X00 MH/HD800 and whatever else crosses my path in the next few days...
I have already had a good listen using R-28 DAC balanced into A90 and balanced HD800.

Initial impressions are very positive. This is a fine amplifier by any measure. More to come.

Jul 28, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #549 of 1,442
One of the best combinations I've ever had
Ratio price/sound, without a doubt, the best I have had at home

Topping D90mqa/A90/Hifiman ARYA.......:)

IMG_20200728_104758-2.jpg

Enjoy.....

Best Regards

Sisco

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 12:09 PM Post #551 of 1,442
Jul 28, 2020 at 10:29 PM Post #552 of 1,442
What seems to be lost in all the granular parsing of numbers and reviews -- some of us who actually own the A90 really love it. Mine paired with the D90 and Focal Utopias sounds incredible. Do I have anything to compare it to, save my own DAP? No. And given the pandemic, not likely to be able to A/B it for a year at least. In the meantime, I'm grateful to the reviews who steered me to the A90. No regrets.
I have the A90 too,no problems, folks who can't afford the Toppings or SMSL because they spent money on BS are complaining.

Jul 29, 2020 at 5:04 AM Post #553 of 1,442
One of the best combinations I've ever had
Ratio price/sound, without a doubt, the best I have had at home

Topping D90mqa/A90/Hifiman ARYA.......:)

Enjoy.....

Best Regards

Sisco

YES! I have exactly the same. Coming from a SMLS SP200 amp, ARYA's improvement is sensational. Arya seem to scale so well to the quality power output of the A90.

This combination is so freaking seductive, the soundfield is 3D, hyper realistic, huge and has so much depth, it musical and punchy/fast, pleasant warm/neutral, super extended (especially sub bass impact/definition), less need for EQ, super detailed but never analytical. It reminds me of listening to my 15K hifi, it is an utterly immersive experience. The A90 is such a perfect partner for the Arya.

Did you also experience a slightly warmer/more lush presentation coming from other amps? I have no desire to EQ anymore.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2020 at 5:31 AM Post #554 of 1,442
YES! I have exactly the same. Coming from a SMLS SP200 amp, ARYA's improvement is sensational. Arya seem to scale so well to the quality power output of the A90.

This combination is so freaking seductive, the soundfield is 3D, hyper realistic, huge and has so much depth, it musical and punchy/fast, pleasant warm/neutral, super extended (especially sub bass impact/definition), less need for EQ, super detailed but never analytical. It reminds me of listening to my 15K hifi, it is an utterly immersive experience. The A90 is such a perfect partner for the Arya.

Did you also experience a slightly warmer/more lush presentation coming from other amps? I have no desire to EQ anymore.
After the Arya, your next step is to get the Susvara!

Jul 29, 2020 at 5:38 AM Post #555 of 1,442
Damn.... I kinda want to hear by most people that a $499 solid state can beat or 100% performs equal to $3000 sound quality.

If you buy used it does. Other than that we only know for a fact that this month's $499 FOTM sounds worse than next month's flavour ... and you just don't understand by how much .. chalk and cheese, day and night!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back