Violectric DHA V226
Jan 15, 2022 at 4:39 AM Post #17 of 99
Jan 15, 2022 at 6:53 AM Post #18 of 99
I'm still waiting for this to show up for sale in China. So far I've been in touch with one distributor (who I've bought quite a bit of stuff before, including the Chronos) and they have no idea when it will be available. Very keen to hear it after falling in love with the Chronos.

Jan 15, 2022 at 9:24 PM Post #19 of 99
In the interest of reducing gear to an all-in-one setup, adding the DAC makes it an attractive option . Also, it's somewhat portable if you want to take it into the office for example.

I just tried the V226 with an old DAC containing a BB PCM1795 and it sounds much better to me- warmer sound (obviously), fuller mids, more euphoric sound. So it's somewhat disappointing that the Cirrus DAC chip is sub-standard in my opinion. Based on my hearing, the Cirrus chip is more treble detail focused and there is some scooping of the mids. Bass is tighter but thinner and less bodied- less sub-bass.

As others have said, try different DAC's with this!

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2022 at 1:26 AM Post #20 of 99
Auditioned the V226.

Very mixed feelings about it.
The footprint is ideal for my use case but the dac is quite disappointing. Treble a little rough.
The amp section is amazing (similar to my V220) but not sure about spending it’s asking price cos I can use it at best as an amp.

Defeat purpose of a combo.

Jan 16, 2022 at 2:05 AM Post #21 of 99
Auditioned the V226.

The footprint is ideal for my use case but the dac is quite disappointing. Treble a little rough.
The amp section is amazing (similar to my V220) but not sure about spending it’s asking price cos I can use it at best as an amp.

Felt the same way about the DAC at the beginning, give it some time, it settles/smooths out.
Personally I would not discard the DAC, it is definitely good enough for me as my PC/travel rig (as I am using it right now).
But my dream pairing with it would definitely be the Bifrost 2 or a Soekris.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2022 at 6:30 PM Post #25 of 99
Auditioned the V226.

In some cases, one part of a combo unit is so worthwhile sonically & functionally, that maybe it's best to just avoid thinking about the part that's less worthwhile. Examples:
  1. I recently picked up a Monoprice Liquid Gold X amp (re-licensed Cavalli Gold design). This has a built-in DAC described universally as "eh," not something anyone was clamoring to be added to this amp. I can't even use the DAC in my Win7Pro system because Monoprice never made drivers available. But I just don't care about the DAC. The amp is all that matters to me.
  2. I recently purchased Audio GD's revised version of the R2R-11, an NOS DAC with a pretty powerful single-ended headphone amp in the same box. This situation is the reverse of #1: all I care about here is the DAC. Yes, maybe I'll use the amp here and there, but I really don't need it and have better amp options, single-ended or balanced.
Net/net: IMO it's best to view the V226 as a terrific Violectric amp housed in the same box w/an "eh" DAC. If there was a V225--the same amp sans that DAC--I'll bet that's what most people would buy. But there isn't, so the V226 is it.

I'm a Violectric/Lake People fanboy, and it really is all about the amps...

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #26 of 99
Felt the same way about the DAC at the beginning, give it some time, it settles/smooths out.
Personally I would not discard the DAC, it is definitely good enough for me as my PC/travel rig (as I am using it right now).
But my dream pairing with it would definitely be the Bifrost 2 or a Soekris.
And do yourselves a favor and get a good USB cable.

Feb 2, 2022 at 12:00 PM Post #28 of 99
Could you please name some USB cables you recommend.
Thanks.
My 60cm Wireworld Chroma 8 just arrived, ordered USB-C into USB-C by mistake, so I had to order another PCIE card with a C connector (get one to separate the USB from Board power).
Right now I am running it directly out of the USB-C of my Asrock X570 Taichi and (even out of the mobo) it seems immediatly smoother, fuller, more spacious/detailed with my Kiss Mod HD6XX.
Funny thing I noticed is that you have to connect it the right way around so that the separated data and power lines can work its wonders, so logo up(!) when connecting it to the 226!
This cable cost me 64€, and I do not belive that it can get much better with those astronomically priced cables since it is allready very well made, uses very high purity copper, has very good shielding and separated power and data lines as well as very good connectors.
I could be wrong tho, as it it stands I believe it is apropriate for a 200€ DAC and improves its performance noticeably imho, ymmv, my ears, my brain. etc... :wink:

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #29 of 99
Could you please name some USB cables you recommend.
Thanks.
P.s.: If Supra Cables had an USB-C cable I would recommend that too. High quality with a reasonable pricetag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back