What’s your favorite 2ch speaker pair currently?
Aug 5, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #31 of 104
I have a pair of Ascend Acoustic Sierra 2's that have been upgraded to the 2EX. I love their midrange.
Same here. Great speakers, and I love that Ascend makes upgrades for existing models. I started with the Sierra 1 and have upgraded them twice to the 2EX.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2021 at 8:48 AM Post #32 of 104
I remember Best Buy carried EOSONE speakers about two decades ago. They were made by Polk and were the first I had seen with rear firing metal dome tweeters. I was just getting into audio back then and really liked them. They were also very inexpensive.

There are some other makers that have done it too: Opera, Sonus Faber, Hansen, Vandersteen, Von Scheickerts, Snell, etc. Evidently it changes the timber using the reflecting sound behind the speaker for a more spatial effect. Some audiophiles turn up their noses, but I like the idea and think it offers a nice effect in most cases.

I do agree, Stayngs Lawrence Audios look amazing :)
I suppose the next evolution of such a concept was the omni-directional drivers, like Ohm Walsh and those other ones that are like 500k lol. The latter ones actually have omni-directional drivers for highs, mids and even the sub. The drivers are spherical, very cool.

Aug 6, 2021 at 10:15 PM Post #33 of 104
Recently I moved from Dynaudio C1's to YG Acoustics Carmel 2's. I'm loving the Carmel 2s. They are great for a small to medium sized room.
1628302509724.png

Aug 12, 2021 at 10:24 PM Post #34 of 104
Dude, believe it or not Ohm was founded WAY back in 1972, so they came well before the Eosones. They were at the Capital Audiofest and their room looked like you were walking into the 1980s, none of the marketing has been updated. It had a bit of a kitschy feel... I really love vintage advertisement but you could tell it wasn't on purpose :wink: Their schtick is you don't need fancy cables with them so you can put that part of your budget toward the speakers. The sound was good and it presents well throughout the room. I personally prefer a more dynamic sounding speaker however they are a very reasonable value for anyone not glued to their seats.

I know the other ones you are talking about... MBLs, they look incredible!

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #35 of 104
Well I'm still very fond of my B&W Nautilus 804's in my main rig but of course for tubes and live recordings my Klipsch LaScala's are as they say like being at the venue :wink: Those will be going to my youngest after his graduation and gets his first place. I've actually got three rigs in the Man Cave right now building up both my sons first time audio rigs complete with turn tables. (Of course I'm sure I'll be adding music servers to theirs as they do appreciate analog and dads love for but it ease of use is the name of the game in todays world)!! My middle one is not as interested as my youngest so he's got the Cambridge receiver driving an ancient but still awesome Vandersteen 2c's and the youngest has 50WPC's on the LaScala's.

Man Cave 2014.JPG

Baby boys (6'3" baby)! Las powered by Yaqin ML-30 with RP8/Hana green.

Rig Two.JPG

And I'm still deciding on my middle ones table:thinking: Probably the Pioneer PLX-1000:grin:

Vulcanized.JPG

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #36 of 104
My second best/favorite (a while back) were Vandersteen Quatro. Regretted selling them for quite a while. Not much left from that setup, except CD player. (Sorry but that’s the only picture I could find)
BCBD2724-90C5-49EC-A1C3-1CC2DCAFD0F6.jpeg

Now, I am totally enjoying Klipsch Cornwalls 4. Probably my last speakers. Older pic, before room renovation (in process).
CBD94989-C514-4CEF-B628-C803CE6D5EE4.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #37 of 104
My second best/favorite (a while back) were Vandersteen Quatro. Regretted selling them for quite a while. Not much left from that setup, except CD player. (Sorry but that’s the only picture I could find)
BCBD2724-90C5-49EC-A1C3-1CC2DCAFD0F6.jpeg

Now, I am totally enjoying Klipsch Cornwalls 4. Probably my last speakers. Older pic, before room renovation (in process).
CBD94989-C514-4CEF-B628-C803CE6D5EE4.jpeg
Nice on both rigs, that a Nagra you have up on that left Corn? Is that a Western Electric on the Quatro's :scream: I believe they were a short limited run but everything I've read and heard about the WE's is awesome.

Aug 18, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #38 of 104
Nice on both rigs, that a Nagra you have up on that left Corn? Is that a Western Electric on the Quatro's :scream: I believe they were a short limited run but everything I've read and heard about the WE's is awesome.
Nope, nope. Quatro setup consisted of Preamp from Red Wine Audio (Isabella, named after Vinny’s daughter. He was there for the meet btw). Consonance Cyber 800 monos and some quantum or something like that conditioner (don’t remember). Source was Opera 5.0 CD player and Vinnie’s laptop.
Tube amps in 2pic are Decware mono blocks.

Aug 18, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #39 of 104
Nope, nope. Quatro setup consisted of Preamp from Red Wine Audio (Isabella, named after Vinny’s daughter. He was there for the meet btw). Consonance Cyber 800 monos and some quantum or something like that conditioner (don’t remember). Source was Opera 5.0 CD player and Vinnie’s laptop.
Tube amps in 2pic are Decware mono blocks.
All nice gears in either rig, eyes are probably failing me like my best buds these days!

Resistance is Futile.JPG

Feb 11, 2022 at 3:11 PM Post #41 of 104
Cannot imagine how these beaus sound, but they look really nice. 👍
Do they need a sub?

Feb 11, 2022 at 4:40 PM Post #42 of 104
Cannot imagine how these beaus sound, but they look really nice. 👍
Do they need a sub?
Quad ESL. I took that pick off the net but own some plus others. Linear to 45hz so yes if you want lower, not more. Smallish room speaker. Fussy about setup, small window and rather near field to get the best result but if that's in your wheelhouse there still isn't better. Did I mention that they're real easy to blow up. Came out in 1957. You know, when they were selling speakers one at a time.

Feb 12, 2022 at 6:32 AM Post #43 of 104
I'd love the Heresy or Forte or Cornwall IV. Jut got a big promotion at work so the Cornwall IV is no longer out of budget. Problem is I'd be running it from an A/V receiver until I got an amp that was up to the task. I would also need another pair of subs, my current Best Buy Klipsch subs are fine in my home theater setup but I wouldn't pair them with a 5 thousand dollar pair of loudspeakers lol.
Not sure you really need or want subs to go along with Cornwalls4.
One, they go low enough for most music (unless you are into organs or electronic). Two, finding subs that can keep up with the horns and still sound “musically” engaging will be both hard and expensive.

Feb 12, 2022 at 6:36 AM Post #44 of 104
I've been the proud owner of a pair of Klipsch Cornwall IVs for over a week now! Even running them from my Onkyo A/V receiver they are absolutely incredible. I'm feeding the A/V receiver an analog signal from a Schiit Modius DAC.

When I eventually do upgrade my amp, it won't be because the Cornwalls don't sound incredible out of this Best Buy A/V receiver. It'll be just because of the principle lol.

IMG_0536.JPGIMG_0538.JPG
It doesn’t have to cost an arm and a leg to feed them quality power. But yes, upgrading from your AV receiver is kind of a must to do justice to these great speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back