Which headphone is 1 rung above the MDR 7506's?
Aug 30, 2010 at 5:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

Mr.Gump

New Head-Fier
I am interested in purchasing the MDR 7506's @ $80 but I would like to know if spending an extra $20 or $30 will get me something better. Please let me know what you think.

Aug 30, 2010 at 5:47 PM Post #3 of 45
V900 or V700?

Aug 30, 2010 at 5:47 PM Post #4 of 45
What are you looking for in a headphone? Does it have to be closed etc.? Have you heard the Sony MDR-7506's?

Aug 30, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #5 of 45
Thank you Bubba and Max, I will look into those.

Rustinpiece, I plan to use them with my notebook computer for listening to conferences and videos. When I do listen to music it's generally not heavy on the bass and I don't tend to crank my headphones. Do they need to be closed? I like the way closed headphones look and I prefer the privacy they offer. No, I have not yet heard the 7506's, but they come highly recommended.

I think the 7506's are right for me.

Aug 30, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #6 of 45

They been in production for over 20 yrs.. They must be doing something right.
Quote:
Thank you Bubba and Max, I will look into those.

Rustinpiece, I plan to use them with my notebook computer for listening to conferences and videos. When I do listen to music it's generally not heavy on the base and I don't tend to crank my headphones. Do they need to be closed? I like the way closed headphones look and I prefer the privacy they offer. No, I have not yet heard the 7506's, but they come highly recommended.

I think the 7506's are right for me.

Aug 30, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #7 of 45
I have the V6.  It's the consumer version of the 7506.  It's not a headphone that I particularly like.  It is bright and accentuates sibilance and doesn't fill in the mids and lower end of the speaking voice.  I don't see it as a good match for listening to conference videos/recordings from a laptop.  You're going to be very aware of the sibilance from their cheap mics that have no pop or sibilance corrective measures.  You're also not going to get a full sound for the voice so things are going to be tilted to the bright side.  I don't like the V6 with YouTube videos of presentations like TED conference videos and things like that.  I don't like the V6 with much of anything to be honest.

I'd think something like the Audio Technica ATH M50 would be better.  It fills in the mids and isn't so tilted to the sibilance and brightness.  But I've only demoed it.  Don't own it.  Maybe someone who has it will chime it.  It can be found in the $110 range from B&H and Amazon and other reputable sellers (not eBay).

There's also the Shure SRH440.  But I've only listened to it very briefly and can't recall its sound sig or how it would mesh with conference presentation style audio.  I'd take it sight unheard for conference videos over the V6 though over the V6 or 7506.

Oct 9, 2010 at 10:55 AM Post #9 of 45
the v900 is an upgrade, the v700 is not. its for dj use with horribly bloated bass. the M50 is great with bass and could be considered an upgrade if you dont like the flat response of the mdr-7506...

whatever you decide, do not purchase from Ebay on any of these models, most likely fake.

Oct 11, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #11 of 45

Quote:
From what I've read on this site, the V*00 series are terrible.

In my experience and opinion, V700DJ is not terrible as far as sound quality.  Not the best 'phone for $100, but not bad/worst either.

Oct 22, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #12 of 45
I always hear people say the V6 is the same as the 7506...but they are not. To me I finally heard the 7506, my V6's, and the one's my friend has had since the 90's. He has the 7506 when he was told these were for professional. We listened to three songs at the same levels and EQ. Both V6's sounded the same. To clarify, I got mine from Newegg, so there aren't fakes. Then the 7506 I took a listen to, while they are good, they just don't produce the exact same sound as the V6. I know the frequency range is the ture difference, maybe the key to the difference. But to me the punch was not there as it was with both V6's.

He said he didn't bother with the 7509's because his V6's still get the job done. He's been in radio and recordings for about 20 years. I got to meet him because I had my V6's on when I was on break walking thru the store. what a chance meeting for a cool guy.

Oct 22, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #13 of 45

Quote:
I have the V6.  It's the consumer version of the 7506.  It's not a headphone that I particularly like.  It is bright and accentuates sibilance and doesn't fill in the mids and lower end of the speaking voice.  I don't see it as a good match for listening to conference videos/recordings from a laptop.  You're going to be very aware of the sibilance from their cheap mics that have no pop or sibilance corrective measures.  You're also not going to get a full sound for the voice so things are going to be tilted to the bright side.  I don't like the V6 with YouTube videos of presentations like TED conference videos and things like that.  I don't like the V6 with much of anything to be honest.

The Equation RP-21 was explicitly conceived of as being like an MDR-V6 without the "ear burn" peaks in the 6khz to 7khz range, and better mids.

And costs about $20 more than an MDR-V6.

Oct 23, 2010 at 4:44 AM Post #14 of 45

Quote:
I always hear people say the V6 is the same as the 7506...but they are not.

I'm wondering if you are hearing differences in production batches?  Because every indication is that the 7506 and V6 are indeed the same headphone.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showpost.php?p=118046&postcount=2

Oct 24, 2010 at 5:02 AM Post #15 of 45
 Or maybe one of the V6 or 7506 you heard was fake:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/516007/are-these-headphones-fake-sony-mdr-7506

Towards the end of the thread are my comments about a real vs fake pair of 7506's, and in post #12, there's a link to similar info about fake V6's.

Could also be a difference in burn in too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back