Which headphone is 1 rung above the MDR 7506's?
Oct 24, 2010 at 2:47 PM Post #16 of 45

Quote:
 Or maybe one of the V6 or 7506 you heard was fake:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/516007/are-these-headphones-fake-sony-mdr-7506

Towards the end of the thread are my comments about a real vs fake pair of 7506's, and in post #12, there's a link to similar info about fake V6's.

Could also be a difference in burn in too.

Nope. I got my V6's from Newegg (trusted retailer)just a few weeks ago. He has had his v6's for a long time, as well as the 7506. I also asked him where he bought his from and he said they were ordered by the studio. I guess the engineers order from Sony directly because he siad they don't pay for these out of there pockets.

I also did further research into the v6/7506 being the same=different, and I found this thread with sound engineers. I read it and they also say they are not the same:
http://www.sawstudiouser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1628

These guys know the differences. Nothing big...they just know the difference.

Oct 24, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #17 of 45

Quote:

Nope. I got my V6's from Newegg (trusted retailer)just a few weeks ago. He has had his v6's for a long time, as well as the 7506. I also asked him where he bought his from and he said they were ordered by the studio. I guess the engineers order from Sony directly because he siad they don't pay for these out of there pockets.

I also did further research into the v6/7506 being the same=different, and I found this thread with sound engineers. I read it and they also say they are not the same:
http://www.sawstudiouser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1628

These guys know the differences. Nothing big...they just know the difference.

Is Newegg an authorized Sony dealer?

Seems to be some conflicting info in that thread though too:

http://www.sawstudiouser.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16174&postcount=11

Quote:
As mentioned earlier in the thread.. I am a dealer of Sony Pro Audio gear... Regarding the difference between the V6 (consumer line) and the MDR-7506 (Professional Audio line) ... the report I just got from my Sony contact is...

"they are identical - just a different label"

(This is coming from a pretty reliable source)

I am already comparing fake 7506's with real ones, maybe I'll get some V6's and compare those too. 
smile_phones.gif

[Added:] Another interesting post:  http://www.sawstudiouser.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16967&postcount=43

Quote:
The driver units on the original 7506/V6 models were the same (maybe still are) BUT there is a production difference.  The 7506 is wired with seperate ground screen for each channel for true channel isolation - that is why they are labelled as "professional".
The V6 is wired with a common ground screen (commecial) that introduces slight cross talk (30dB down) through the return channel ground, creating an image signal in the opposite ear. That ironically may lead to a marginally less focused. warmer sound that may make this model represent the mix better in terms of the acoustic interaction of the stereo signal in the air emanting from a pair of near field monitors. In other words the non pro wiring in the V6 may just make them closer to a pair of near fields in the air.

Learn something new every day !! 
beerchug.gif

Oct 24, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #18 of 45

Quote:

Is Newegg an authorized Sony dealer?

Seems to be some conflicting info in that thread though too:

http://www.sawstudiouser.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16174&postcount=11

I am already comparing fake 7506's with real ones, maybe I'll get some V6's and compare those too. 
smile_phones.gif

[Added:] Another interesting post:  http://www.sawstudiouser.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16967&postcount=43

Learn something new every day !! 
beerchug.gif

Newegg is a very reputable dealer. I use them for computer parts mostly, but I never checked for headphones from there. A member here name Kukuk told me they would be legit for V6's. I verified mine are real based one another thread comparing the fakes. I been through plenty of headphones, mainly Sony, but these are no doubt the real deal. My box, cloth, the headphones and bag are how the real ones should be. If they were fakes Newegg would have to refund me in full. Check them out they have the 7506 and 7509.

As I stated there is a difference in sound between the two. Though it's marginal, it's there when you listen to the exact same sounds. I was expecting the headphone to just sound a like. Still though the frequency range of the two differ.

MDR-V6 - 5 ~ 30000khz
MDR-7506 10 ~ 20000khz

That is going to be a big (small) difference in sound. Also if you read through the thread one of the posters question what the dealer told him about the V6/7506 being identical.

Oct 25, 2010 at 3:42 AM Post #21 of 45
Sorry, I believe bvzxa3 and I'm now convinced that the 7506's and V6's are not the same.  Same parts maybe yes, but they are wired differently internally.

Oct 26, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #22 of 45
The frequency response numbers for the V6 and 7506 are just numbers made up by marketing.  You can't believe them for being accurate for the actual engineering numbers.  They're numbers that are there to be printed on the box to differentiate various models in a product line.  Especially in consumer models.  Admit it, the first time(s) you bought headphones was based on the specs printed on the box.  That's what those numbers are for.  The numbers on the box are worthless for comparing the consumer V6 withe the pro 7506 cause the numbers on the consumer box are complete fiction (5 Hz - 30,000 Hz?  Really???), and the numbers on the 7506 box are suspect as well.

The headroom graph of the V6 and 7506 looks like the (nearly) same headphone to me.  You gotta know how to read and compare graphs like that.  You go by general shape.  And you need to realize that there are measurement variability when measuring different headphones due to positional differences when putting the headphones on the measurement head and similar factors.  A very slight change in position on the measurement head can make a noticeable difference in the graph.  The headroom graphs are centered to have the 0 dB level cross at 1000 Hz.  The choice of 1000 Hz is arbitrary.  Take the graphs for the V6 and 7506 and have them cross 0 dB at around 2000 Hz and you'll see they are much more similar.  Take two V6 headphones from the same batch and measure them like HeadRoom does.  How much would the two differ based on the FR graph?  You might be surprised.  

Oct 26, 2010 at 3:48 AM Post #23 of 45

Quote:
The frequency response numbers for the V6 and 7506 are just numbers made up by marketing.  You can't believe them for being accurate for the actual engineering numbers.  They're numbers that are there to be printed on the box to differentiate various models in a product line.  Especially in consumer models.  Admit it, the first time(s) you bought headphones was based on the specs printed on the box.  That's what those numbers are for.  The numbers on the box are worthless for comparing the consumer V6 withe the pro 7506 cause the numbers on the consumer box are complete fiction (5 Hz - 30,000 Hz?  Really???), and the numbers on the 7506 box are suspect as well.

The headroom graph of the V6 and 7506 looks like the (nearly) same headphone to me.  You gotta know how to read and compare graphs like that.  You go by general shape.  And you need to realize that there are measurement variability when measuring different headphones due to positional differences when putting the headphones on the measurement head and similar factors.  A very slight change in position on the measurement head can make a noticeable difference in the graph.  The headroom graphs are centered to have the 0 dB level cross at 1000 Hz.  The choice of 1000 Hz is arbitrary.  Take the graphs for the V6 and 7506 and have them cross 0 dB at around 2000 Hz and you'll see they are much more similar.  Take two V6 headphones from the same batch and measure them like HeadRoom does.  How much would the two differ based on the FR graph?  You might be surprised.  

Quote:
Kevin Brown said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sorry, I believe bvzxa3 and I'm now convinced that the 7506's and V6's are not the same.  Same parts maybe yes, but they are wired differently internally.

I don't care about cost. I don't care about marketing.  I care about great sound.  I like the Grado SR225i more than the SR325is, but I like the MS2i more than the 225i.  But I can't stand the MS1.  The SR80i beats it hands down, IMO.

One more: I think all of the K501/601/701/702 are all too bright.  I even got an Audio-gd Sparrow because so many people told me the Aune might not have the juice to drive them properly.  But even with the Sparrow that was developed with listening tests with the K701,  I think all those AKGs are too bright.  Know what my favorite AKG headphone is?  The ~25 year old Sextett.

So no, I don't believe that the V6 and 7506 sound the same.  There are too many reports that they do sound different for me to discount.  So ... I have a pair of V6's on the way to compare to the 7506's I have here now.

And Headphones.com's graphs?  Their graphs say that the SR60i has more bass than anything above it, and anyone who has actually listened and compared knows that's completely wrong.  Their graphs are a tool, but to blindly believe them without listening is a mistake.

smile_phones.gif

Oct 26, 2010 at 4:01 AM Post #24 of 45

Quote:

So no, I don't believe that the V6 and 7506 sound the same.  There are too many reports that they do sound different for me to discount.  So ... I have a pair of V6's on the way to compare to the 7506's I have here now.

That will be interesting.  
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 26, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #27 of 45
I am joking about being nervous about getting fake V6's.  I got mine from an authorized Sony dealer.  And to be honest, if I know there are fakes out there, I wouldn't buy used from anywhere.

Oct 26, 2010 at 1:42 PM Post #28 of 45

Quote:
I have the V6.  It's the consumer version of the 7506.  It's not a headphone that I particularly like.  It is bright and accentuates sibilance and doesn't fill in the mids and lower end of the speaking voice.  I don't see it as a good match for listening to conference videos/recordings from a laptop.  You're going to be very aware of the sibilance from their cheap mics that have no pop or sibilance corrective measures.  You're also not going to get a full sound for the voice so things are going to be tilted to the bright side.  I don't like the V6 with YouTube videos of presentations like TED conference videos and things like that.  I don't like the V6 with much of anything to be honest.

I'd think something like the Audio Technica ATH M50 would be better.  It fills in the mids and isn't so tilted to the sibilance and brightness.  But I've only demoed it.  Don't own it.  Maybe someone who has it will chime it.  It can be found in the $110 range from B&H and Amazon and other reputable sellers (not eBay).

There's also the Shure SRH440.  But I've only listened to it very briefly and can't recall its sound sig or how it would mesh with conference presentation style audio.  I'd take it sight unheard for conference videos over the V6 though over the V6 or 7506.

What he said. I have the V6 as well, and it's not my favorite.

Oct 28, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #29 of 45
I have stated why would frequency range be just numbers. Why lie? range of frequency is not a determining factor in buying headphones. What the problem was is the assumption that the V6 and 7506 were exactly the same, with the exception of basically model number and sticker. And believing that of all things, wikipedia, cannot always be trusted either because anyone can change  it without verifying facts. I went to a trusted source, a sound engineer, and a website dedicated to sound engineers and the answers were the same. They are sligthly different when it comes to sound.

I think for what it is worth, Sony wanted the V600 to be the new V6. They tout the same numbers, especially in frequency, but yet the V600 from what they say here and every where else sounds like crap compared to the V6. no the V6 is not the best phone, it lacks soundstage, and mid-range a bit, but all-in-all it's a good headphone. I have the real deal and my Ipod touch is happy...for now.

Oct 29, 2010 at 8:09 AM Post #30 of 45
Why lie about the frequency range numbers and other specs on the box?  It's marketing material right there on the box in front of a potential consumer probably trying to make a decision about which headphone to buy.  If you're selling three headphones in a model line you need to differentiate those three and try to persuade a consumer to opt for the next model up.  The next model up better have better specs and better frequency response printed on the box whether the actual measured response is as measured by engineering.  If someone is in Best Buy holding one headphone from JVC and one headphone from Sony trying to decide between the two, the one with better specs printed on the box is going to get more consideration.  The box is marketing material.  If what is on the box manages to make a sale then it has done its job.  I expect them to lie or fudge the numbers.  I'd be surprised if they didn't.  It's consumer audio.  The first bunches of audio gear I bought were based on printed specs.  It's all I knew at the time about gear.  I didn't know then how to listen and determine for myself.  And in some cases you can't listen first before buying.  So what do you do?

To me the numbers printed on the V6 box are just marketing numbers.  To compare the numbers on the consumer V6 box to the numbers on the professional 7506 box is pointless.  To compare the numbers on a JVC box to a Sony box is equally as pointless.  All of them are lies and you don't know by how much each has fudged the numbers.

Dave Rat does a quick and dirty test of the V6 and 7506 in part 2 of his mighty headphone quest.  He notes that they are different and they measure different yet some consider them the same.  Just more fuel for the debate.

It's funny that after all these years we don't have a firm answer we can point to as to whether and how the V6 and 7506 are the same or different. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back