Which headphone is 1 rung above the MDR 7506's?
Oct 29, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #31 of 45

Quote:

It's funny that after all these years we don't have a firm answer we can point to as to whether and how the V6 and 7506 are the same or different. 

I don't understand how you can say this.  Their grounding is different.  And I can certainly believe that that results in a different sounding headphone.  The last link & quote in post #17.

My V6 is here.  :)  I hope to compare this weekend.  But I already know what's going to happen.  The people who believe they are identical won't believe me if I say they sound different.  And the people who believe that they sound different won't believe me if I say they sound the same !!

Oct 29, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #32 of 45

Quote:
I don't understand how you can say this.  Their grounding is different.  And I can certainly believe that that results in a different sounding headphone.  The last link & quote in post #17.

You added that bit after I had read the post.  I missed that bit.

The different wiring for the ground for the 7506 could be a good thing.  One of the things I never liked about the V6 was that it did poorly with binaural recordings.  Maybe that is due to crosstalk due to the shared ground.  If the 7506 fixes that then that's a good thing.  A test of the V6 and 7506 with binaural recordings might be a good way to differentiate them.

Oct 30, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #33 of 45
 Agreed.  In theory, the grounding for the 7506's should be better.  But I imagine that some people might prefer the V6's, and others might prefer the 7506.  But it's all in the listening, right?  :)

Oct 31, 2010 at 11:46 PM Post #34 of 45

Quote:

My V6 is here.  :)  I hope to compare this weekend.  But I already know what's going to happen.  The people who believe they are identical won't believe me if I say they sound different.  And the people who believe that they sound different won't believe me if I say they sound the same !!

I'd believe you.

I'm going to look into the grounding on my friends 7506 and see what he says about it.

What's weird watching Hannah Montana with my daughter during a recording session, both her and the other singer were wearing 7506's just that they put tape over the Sony logo, but you could still see the blue "Professional" logo on the side, and they have the same shape and size as my V6's

Nov 1, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #35 of 45
Not totally crazy about the v6 myself....too harsh in upper mids for my taste and not enough warmth in upper bass/low mids. I read in a couple of reviews that the 7509 is a nice improvement. The Equation RP21 can be found under $90 I think. Much smoother and easier on the ears...MY ears anyway. 7509 should be even better, but it's more $$. Maybe Fostex T50RP. A couple of people I know swear by them...and for well under $100 new.

Nov 6, 2010 at 5:23 AM Post #36 of 45
I am surprised ...

Wait for it

wait for it

The 7506's and V6's sound more different than I though they would, but not even in the way that I thought they would.  I mentioned before that I didn't like how the 7506's sounded.  Too much of a treble emphasis, too bright, not enough bass.  And I am not a basshead.  They sound "thin" to me.

The V6's *do* have a smoother treble presentation than the 7506's.  But the biggest difference that I heard was the the V6's actually have a bottom end, that the 7506's don't.  The V6's are simply a much more balanced headphones.  I went back and forth a bunch of times because I wanted to make sure I was hearing what I thought I was hearing.  (And I'll do it one more time with another song before I commit this post too.  :)  ) 

I bet myself that there would be a difference in the highs, but that I'd have to struggle to hear it.  Nope.  Much bigger than that !!

Nov 6, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #37 of 45
I retired my V6....not that I don't like them, but their such a good headphone that I want them to last. $71 shipped from Newegg was worth every penny. I'm using my CD480's now which is not a bad headphone.

My friend said he uses both the V6 and the 7506. He prefers the V6 when using his portable, but he also stated that 7506 are good for mixing.

He also spoke of the V7. He said he used them at another studio that used the latest equipment at that time. He said they have a great sound. He said mixing with them were amazing to him because they picked up what he needed to hear. He said it was deep, but clean and tight on bass. Highs he said he had to get used to, but he said he could hear a bit more detail than the V6. He also went on to say that 7506 sounds more like the younger brother of the V7 than the V6.

And I thought the V7 was a myth??

Nov 6, 2010 at 11:35 PM Post #38 of 45
Didn't the v7 become the 7509? FWIR the v6 has more bass than the 7509. It definitely ain't bass light...the v6, that is. Never heard the 7506 though I've read several places that they have the identical drivers as the v6....but with gold plated plug rather than silver

Nov 6, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #39 of 45

Quote:

I bet myself that there would be a difference in the highs, but that I'd have to struggle to hear it.  Nope.  Much bigger than that !!

Neat!  A bit unexpected to have the V6 out perform the 7506 in that manner.  

Can you give both a test with binaural recordings?  Something like the virtual barbershop.  The 7506 may be able to redeem itself if it can do binaural better.

Here's an article from the old days of the internet that mentions that the V6 is a poor performer with binaural: The Binaural Source FAQ
I would agree based on my listening with my V6.  I've never heard the 7506 to compare and I'm curious.  I'm guessing that the problem may be due to, or partly due to, crosstalk in the V6.  Maybe the 7506 corrects that?

Nov 7, 2010 at 4:13 AM Post #40 of 45

Quote:
Neat!  A bit unexpected to have the V6 out perform the 7506 in that manner.  

Can you give both a test with binaural recordings?  Something like the virtual barbershop.  The 7506 may be able to redeem itself if it can do binaural better.

Here's an article from the old days of the internet that mentions that the V6 is a poor performer with binaural: The Binaural Source FAQ
I would agree based on my listening with my V6.  I've never heard the 7506 to compare and I'm curious.  I'm guessing that the problem may be due to, or partly due to, crosstalk in the V6.  Maybe the 7506 corrects that?

I don't have any binaural tracks.  Any I can easily download to compare?

Nov 7, 2010 at 6:16 AM Post #41 of 45
here's are a few samples in 98hrz/ 24bit :https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=catalogdetail&valbum_code=HD678277163720

Nov 7, 2010 at 6:22 AM Post #42 of 45

Quote:
Didn't the v7 become the 7509? FWIR the v6 has more bass than the 7509. It definitely ain't bass light...the v6, that is. Never heard the 7506 though I've read several places that they have the identical drivers as the v6....but with gold plated plug rather than silver

I thought the V7 became basically the Japan only CD900ST.

Yeah, in theory they 7506 should be the same as the V6. However, if you search through this thread you'll see they aren't the same. I have heard both and they differ from each other in some areas.

So far when I heard both, the bass was more on the V6. The 7506 was a bit less on the treble. I liked the treble on it better. Also some have stated it could be the way the 7506 is wired that may also be a difference as well as the frequency range (which shouldn't make a difference?)

I will go out on a limb and say Sony duped us a bit.

If the 7506 was the replacement of the V6, why do they continue to make the V6. They should be the same headphone which just a sticker, emblem, and plug change right?

Wrong. I suspect when making a professional line some after probably using the V6, then going to the 7506, just weren't convinced they were the exact same headphone. The V6 would have been phased out, and we would have to hunt it down. Instead, both are readily available at legit retailers. If the two are the same why will Sony give you the inferior V600 as a replacement for the V6, instead of the 7506.

From time to time companies do this to sell product. I think the V6 may have grounding issues, and the 7506 was the fix. Though the frequency range difference is almost meaningless, the 5khz on the V6 picks up more bass.

If I never heard about the V6, or assumed that both were the same, then I would have gotten the 7506 just for warranty alone. However, I will retire my V6 just for safe keeping until I go to a much better sound system.

Nov 7, 2010 at 9:03 AM Post #43 of 45
Nov 8, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #44 of 45
 OK, just listened to the long version of the Virtual Barbershop.  I didn't go back and forth, I just played the whole thing through with the 7506's 1st, and then the V6's 2nd.

I do think the effect is better with the 7506's.  More 3-D like.  With the V6's, seems more like "regular" headphone listening.  The difference is small, not large though, but I could hear it even not having to go back and forth and back and forth.

Interesting !!  I had never heard a binaural recording before.

Nov 8, 2010 at 9:11 AM Post #45 of 45
Binaural recordings are really neat.

Try some of the binaural demos with your other headphones to compare.  Some headphones do it better than others.  Grados with bowls can have a neat in your head Grado perspective on binaural, comfies not so much.  I've never tried an AD series Audio Technica with binaural, but I suspect they would do very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back