ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Nov 4, 2023 at 7:53 PM Post #5,206 of 6,406
M May I ask how old you are? Because the Atrium is plenty detailed as long as you have no hearing loss. We tend to lose our ability to hear upper treble as we age. So then headphones that are bright like Hifiman and Beyerdynamic will sound more detailed. But to those that have good hearing, those signatures just sound harsh and piercing.
Mid-40’s but my sister is an audiologist and I routinely test my hearing. I’m not 18 but I’m around 17K.

Don’t get me wrong. I love them. They’re smooth and relaxed much like a super HD650 as someone mentioned. I just have cheaper options that get close to that sound.

Unfortunately, the way my finances are right now I can only hold onto to one higher-end headphone. I have a Raal CA-1A coming next week to challenge the HE1000v2’s. Something has to go or my wife may throw me out of the house:)

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2023 at 7:57 PM Post #5,207 of 6,406
I think the resolution is there on a good chain, its juts not in your face as on many high end headphones, which make Atrium a very relaxed listen. I often grab them after a long day instead of Caldera when I want to space out with great bass and enveloping holographic soundstage, AC it is though, dont have AO yet.
I think I probably just need to listen to more in the ZMF line. I love the build quality and they seem to be a fantastic company.

Nov 4, 2023 at 8:10 PM Post #5,208 of 6,406
I think I probably just need to listen to more in the ZMF line. I love the build quality and they seem to be a fantastic company.
We all look for different things with our preferences, if you are in search for detail monsters, ZMF might not be quite the right direction for you, its all about the balance between the tuning and technicalities. Even with Caldera, which has a ton of detail, its apprent that natural presentation of music is the tuning priority.

Nov 5, 2023 at 2:41 AM Post #5,209 of 6,406
I'm still very new to the Atrium and trying to get a bead on them. Bought them recently 2nd hand from a Head-Fi'er, so they are fully burned in already. Coming from my Auteur Classic and Verite open, the Atrium strikes me as more spacious sounding, with more mid-bass impact & quantity. Vocals sound great, with a reverb I like a lot.

However, on some tracks, there is some congestion and hashiness in the upper mids/lower treble that I do net experience with the other two ZMFs. Anyone else get this?
The only time I experienced congestion with the Atrium is when I removed the mesh.

If you find the stock conguration contested try the solid mesh. I use it and feel that is does create a greater sense of separation. Highs are pushed back a little. Some may perceive this as a loss of detail. I personally prefer it. You can still find everything through active listening if you want to.

I'd also use the Caldera ultra perf pads. I don't known if its possible for pads to improve resolution but I feel that the Caldera pads reduce resonances compared to universe pads, which again may lead to a sense of less congestion.

Side note I wonder what a Universe Ultra Perf pad would sound like @zach915m has that ever been tried?

Nov 5, 2023 at 3:15 AM Post #5,210 of 6,406
Enjoying some nicely produced music from the Rosebuds on their Loud Planes Fly Low album. Sounding fantastic on the Atrium Open with ultra-perf pads and it highlights the atmospheric spaciousness and imaging of the various instruments and vocals.

Here is a live session they did of one my favorite tracks:

Another album a bit in the same genre where the immersion is total with the atrium, the last Slowdive « Everything is alive » :

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2023 at 8:56 AM Post #5,212 of 6,406
The atriums I have are with the caldera ultra perf pads, and I definitely prefer the sound with them vs the atriums with the stock universe pads I originally was introduced to axpona. However it was that bold, punchy, warm bassy quality from those stock universe pads and atrium that got me to fall in love with the headphone in the first place! When I did finally decide to purchase an atrium, Zach was pretty clear in his recommendation for me to go with the caldera ultra perf, and I was happy to oblige

Nov 5, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #5,213 of 6,406
Another album a bit in the same genre where the immersion is total with the atrium, the last Slowdive « Everything is alive » :

Thanks, I'm enjoying their albums from Bandcamp now. Nice chill and ethereal music for Sunday listening.
Their production and instrumentation reminds me of The War on Drugs band out of Philadelphia:

Also wonderful on the Atrium Open's holographic imaging.

Nov 6, 2023 at 6:05 AM Post #5,214 of 6,406
I'd also use the Caldera ultra perf pads. I don't known if its possible for pads to improve resolution but I feel that the Caldera pads reduce resonances compared to universe pads, which again may lead to a sense of less congestion.
The atriums I have are with the caldera ultra perf pads, and I definitely prefer the sound with them vs the atriums with the stock universe pads I originally was introduced to axpona. However it was that bold, punchy, warm bassy quality from those stock universe pads and atrium that got me to fall in love with the headphone in the first place! When I did finally decide to purchase an atrium, Zach was pretty clear in his recommendation for me to go with the caldera ultra perf, and I was happy to oblige
I can confirm, that Caldera Ultra Perf Pads improves the resolution and also imaging for me. Atrium became more ballanced in comparsion with Universe perf pads, upper mids are not so forward, treble is better. I can use more tube combinations (Euforia AE) for the synergy than with Universe pads. I can recommend Caldera Ultra Perf pads very much.

Nov 6, 2023 at 11:18 PM Post #5,215 of 6,406
Finally got the Caldera Ultra Perf Pads on the Atrium Open. Finding very similar results to when I used them on the VO.

I can see why people really like them, but they still have their pros and cons.

Need to get some more listening in, but I'll be updating my pad comparison for both the VO and AO soon.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2023 at 10:11 PM Post #5,216 of 6,406
Nov 10, 2023 at 10:18 PM Post #5,217 of 6,406
My Atrium Open Pad Comparison has been updated to include the Caldera Lambskin Ultra Perforated Pads.

The results might be surprising to some, and others not so much.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/zmfheadphones-universe-pads.25839/reviews#review-31765

The Ultra Perf pads will also be added to my Verite Open Comparison at the beginning of next week.
Thank you! I read specifically the comparison between the stock universe and ultra perf caldera pads and agree with what you wrote 100%. For me i prefer the caldera ultra perf but I love how you describe the stock universe pads as having this big analog sound which is what I love about them.

Nov 10, 2023 at 10:38 PM Post #5,218 of 6,406
My Atrium Open Pad Comparison has been updated to include the Caldera Lambskin Ultra Perforated Pads.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/zmfheadphones-universe-pads.25839/reviews#review-31765

The Ultra Perf pads will also be added to my Verite Open Comparison at the beginning of next week.

I completely agree with your impressions. I really like them, but I think I'd like them more with a warmer/ thicker sounding chain. They lift the treble in a very nice way.

Nov 11, 2023 at 3:21 AM Post #5,219 of 6,406
I completely agree with your impressions. I really like them, but I think I'd like them more with a warmer/ thicker sounding chain. They lift the treble in a very nice way.
I am sure the Caldera Ultra perf much more suits OTL and Universal lambskin solid state. At least my experience :). With universal pads i preffer AO with the most bright and fast tubes or a solid state. At other side - AO with Caldera pads are almost too dry for me with a solid state (Ragnarok), but excellent with OTL (still plenty of subbass and bass).

Nov 11, 2023 at 9:24 AM Post #5,220 of 6,406

I also agree with you and the rest of the folks above.

With the universe pads, I prefer the AO off a tighter and leaner source, like the CFA-3 which has very good treble resolution and speed. With the ultra perf (which I’ve come to prefer) I love the AO off my Decware/ZMF OTL, as the sweeter and more lush voicing of that amp works wonderfully well with the more open and technically better speed of the ultra perf.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back