ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Aug 25, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #2,671 of 6,358
I’m currently narrowing down my next pair of headphones to get, and both the Atrium and the Verite Closed are strong contenders.

Realise this might be a long shot, but has anyone here purchased both products and able to offer me their personal opinion on what they’d recommend?

I’m not going to be in a position to demo these anytime soon, so online advice is key, ahead of any potential purchase.

I have also read that a closed version of the Atrium is coming? Is this likely to happen before the end of the year?

Finally, worth hanging on for ZMF November, based on prior offerings?

Lots of questions there, but I appreciate any answers!

pair of the closed-back Campfire Audio Cascades,
If you're fond of the Cascade's sound, the Atrium would be closer to that sound than the VC. That being said, I found the Cascade to be overly warm with absurd amounts of bass, which ended up bleeding into the mids quite a bit.
Neither the Atrium nor the VC has that kind of bass, and neither sets have the mids stepped upon.

When I reviewed the Cascade I felt that the target audience were bassheads, and if you're a basshead ( nothing wrong with that) I'm not sure any ZMF, except perhaps the Atticus, will satisfy that itch, and even then, the Atticus has less bass than the Cascade

Aug 25, 2022 at 6:28 PM Post #2,672 of 6,358
Oy, I’m not eating myself up from the inside for missing socal.. I have an event back home in NYC that same weekend that’s pre scheduled a year out and I can’t move it. I’m so so sad to miss it, and to miss the opportunity to listen to your new prototype!

I’d be delighted to test it anytime if other possibilities come up! (And of course I’ll be here for CanJam NYC in February)

Oy.. I really want to listen to your new amp

Bummer dude, well hey we'll see what's happening come February. I'll be happy to get it off my desk, you can go crazy listening to something you made over and over again...best to place the burden on someone else's ears for a while :)

Aug 25, 2022 at 7:19 PM Post #2,673 of 6,358
Bummer dude, well hey we'll see what's happening come February. I'll be happy to get it off my desk, you can go crazy listening to something you made over and over again...best to place the burden on someone else's ears for a while :)
I'd gladly bear that burden for you. Anytime at all.
I'm guessing that
ZMF + Gwyn tubes = bliss

Aug 25, 2022 at 7:35 PM Post #2,674 of 6,358
Thanks for this reply! That’s a great breakdown for reference.

I currently have a pair of the closed-back Campfire Audio Cascades, and whilst the VC’s would offer what they do, only a lot more so, I’m starting to wonder if a more natural sounding, wider soundstage option might be my best next step.

I do a lot of my headphone listening with a DAP, rather than hooked up to my main hi-fi setup, but I’ve read that you can still get the benefit out of ZMF’s products via this route, and I would think it likely that my Hiby R6 Pro should be powerful enough to accommodate either model’s potential sufficiently.

I think I’ll hang on for ZMF November as you suggest though!
I think the rest of the replies comparing the VC and Atrium are spot on! I honestly couldn't pick a winner between these two headphones. You honestly couldn't go wrong with either. One thing I will say that everyone else hasn't mentioned is at least for me I don't think of the VC as a specialty headphone because it's closed. It sounds just as good as any open back. I forget I'm wearing a closed back headphone honestly. I just think of it as a headphone with unique characteristics. If you need closed back cans it is a plus but I don't feel like I am losing anything by it being closed. The Atrium and VC each have qualities that one may do better than the other but neither of them do bad on the things that the other one does better. It's not shortcomings that they are pointing out. They are just highlighting what each headphone does better than the other. For instance the Atrium has absolutely unbelievable mids that just suck you into the melody of the music and the VC has slightly recessed mids. That doesn't mean that the VC's mids don't sound great because imo they do. Same thing with the more lively and splashy highs on the VC compared to the darker highs on the Atrium that take a backseat to the other frequencies. The Atrium still has good highs but it's just done in a different way

Aug 25, 2022 at 7:52 PM Post #2,675 of 6,358
Keep me posted... :)

Aug 25, 2022 at 10:11 PM Post #2,676 of 6,358
I have sent a few Goose videos to this thread over the past few days. Goose has gone from bars to playing Red Rocks in a few short months. They have done this through professional polished playing and making their live performances available at incredible quality for free. This is from 2 days ago at the Greek in Los Angeles. If you don't enjoy this type of music, disregard...
Thanks again for the Goose postings. I purchased a couple of their official album releases on Bandcamp. Nice arrangements of instruments and vocals IMO.

I've been enjoying similar artists like Fleet Foxes:

and Lord Huron:

With the Atriums and a good source chain the holographic imaging is wonderful. I close my eyes and visualize the instrument placement.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2022 at 11:24 PM Post #2,677 of 6,358
Thanks again for the Goose postings. I purchased a couple of their official album releases on Bandcamp. Nice arrangements of instruments and vocals IMO.

and Lord Huron:

With the Atriums and a good source chain the holographic imaging is wonderful. I close my eyes and visualize the instrument placement.

Love both those artists, those genres play so well to the Atrium's strengths.

Will have to check out Goose as well :)

Aug 26, 2022 at 12:02 AM Post #2,678 of 6,358

and Lord Huron:

Will check out the music you sent. Thank you. Love band camp.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2022 at 1:00 AM Post #2,680 of 6,358
Keep the music flowing. love it!

Aug 26, 2022 at 1:47 AM Post #2,681 of 6,358
If you're fond of the Cascade's sound, the Atrium would be closer to that sound than the VC. That being said, I found the Cascade to be overly warm with absurd amounts of bass, which ended up bleeding into the mids quite a bit.
Neither the Atrium nor the VC has that kind of bass, and neither sets have the mids stepped upon.

When I reviewed the Cascade I felt that the target audience were bassheads, and if you're a basshead ( nothing wrong with that) I'm not sure any ZMF, except perhaps the Atticus, will satisfy that itch, and even then, the Atticus has less bass than the Cascade
You’ve hit the nail on the head as to why I’m looking to move on from the Cascades.

I’ve enjoyed them to a degree, but as you say, the bass is too domineering, and whilst I like rich and full bass, I’m not a bass-head, and prefer the low end to complement the overall sound, rather than take it over!

If I’m leaning more towards much improved mids, clarity, soundstage detail etc. (without sacrificing too much of the bass element), would the Atrium still win out over the VC for you?

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2022 at 2:08 AM Post #2,682 of 6,358
I think the rest of the replies comparing the VC and Atrium are spot on! I honestly couldn't pick a winner between these two headphones. You honestly couldn't go wrong with either. One thing I will say that everyone else hasn't mentioned is at least for me I don't think of the VC as a specialty headphone because it's closed. It sounds just as good as any open back. I forget I'm wearing a closed back headphone honestly. I just think of it as a headphone with unique characteristics. If you need closed back cans it is a plus but I don't feel like I am losing anything by it being closed. The Atrium and VC each have qualities that one may do better than the other but neither of them do bad on the things that the other one does better. It's not shortcomings that they are pointing out. They are just highlighting what each headphone does better than the other. For instance the Atrium has absolutely unbelievable mids that just suck you into the melody of the music and the VC has slightly recessed mids. That doesn't mean that the VC's mids don't sound great because imo they do. Same thing with the more lively and splashy highs on the VC compared to the darker highs on the Atrium that take a backseat to the other frequencies. The Atrium still has good highs but it's just done in a different way
Now you’re making me want both of them (which sadly, my budget does not allow for)! :)

Aug 26, 2022 at 2:20 AM Post #2,683 of 6,358
You’ve hit the nail on the head as to why I’m looking to move on from the Cascades.

I’ve enjoyed them to a degree, but as you say, the bass is too domineering, and whilst I like rich and full bass, I’m not a bass-head, and prefer the low end to complement the overall sound, rather than take it over!

If I’m leaning more towards much improved mids, clarity, soundstage detail etc. (without sacrificing too much of the bass element), would the Atrium still win out over the VC?
If mids are a priority, then yes, I'd suggest the Atrium. The mids on the VO and VC to my ears are a bit recessed and arent as prominent as on the Atrium.

Do you have a desktop amp, or just the DAP?

Aug 26, 2022 at 2:27 AM Post #2,684 of 6,358
If mids are a priority, then yes, I'd suggest the Atrium. The mids on the VO and VC to my ears are a bit recessed and arent as prominent as on the Atrium.

Do you have a desktop amp, or just the DAP?
In addition to my DAP, I have a set of active speakers (Buchardt Audio A500’s, as connected via their WISA Hub option), so my current amp setup are those as built inside the A500’s.

Aug 26, 2022 at 5:24 AM Post #2,685 of 6,358
If I’m leaning more towards much improved mids, clarity, soundstage detail etc. (without sacrificing too much of the bass element), would the Atrium still win out over the VC for you?

Yes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back