ZMF BOKEH - Closed Back (Semi-Portable)
Oct 2, 2023 at 2:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2,346

heliosphann

Headphoneus Supremus
Official thread for the upcoming ZMF BOKEH, a high sensitivity, closed back LCP driver headphone.

I will post more details as they are finalized, but here is what you can expect:
  • New chassis design
  • Oval shaped wood cups (Limba stock wood)
  • 80ohm Liquid Crystal Polymer drivers
  • 103dB/1mW sensitivity
  • 1/8" Cable inputs
  • Caldera Stock Pads (Solid inside/outside w/perforated face)
  • Available Dec 8th
  • Price $1100 (Discounted at launch)
_DSC1143.jpg_DSC1370.jpg
Screenshot_20231002-013042.pngScreenshot_20231002-022530.png

Here is a great interview with Zach from @MRHiFiReviews and The Source AV. They not only talk about the Bokeh, but also the upcoming JDS collab amp, Arcadia TBD name.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2023 at 2:34 AM Post #2 of 2,346
*RESERVED*

Oct 2, 2023 at 11:31 AM Post #5 of 2,346
My transcript or summary translation of video in regards to Bokeh. For full context, see video. Apologies to Zach if misquoted or misunderstood.:

- LCP driver: lighter and faster - was favored best for a closed headphone, harmonish but more midbass, less bombastic then Atticus, freq response between Atticus and Atrium Closed,
- estimated release date with an initial limited run: Dec.8th
- open version eventually
- closed-backs are harder to tune than open-backs
- since Atrium, zmf headphones now all feature some sort of similar damping system including Bokeh
- Bokeh, 4years in development, not necessarily short or long development as he always simultaneously working on projects
- zmf workshop produces 130-170 headphones a month
- Zach is working on more planar headphones! something less expensive
- @zach915m , sell me T50RP cups please that will fit mk3 driver baffle please
I like the front-side venting system of mk3 utilizing T20RP front-side vent foam, just remove stock mk3 driver damping paper - replace with zmf approved damping sauce, and t60rp sized pads have so far been best in my limited experience - shallowest and narrowest without going supraaural.
- Zach is funny: anti-flagship culture
- “not going to throttle performance due to price point” - Zach !!

@MRHiFiReviews His reaction to estimated $1000-1100 msrp (@3:30), “so around mid-fi territory”. for shame!

Oct 2, 2023 at 11:56 AM Post #6 of 2,346
Do we know the weight?
I believe some of the early prototypes were around 400-425 grams. Obviously the wood used will have a large impact.

Oct 2, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #7 of 2,346
I was hyped for this while it was in the prototype phase but now I'm preparing for the eventuality that I'll be picking one up.

Oct 2, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #9 of 2,346
According to zach in video: limba for initial run, for lighter weight
Yea, that's already posted at the top of the thread.

Oct 2, 2023 at 12:15 PM Post #10 of 2,346
It's so hard to tune closed back sets and dissipate that cup energy, this was one of the only times I felt things were resoundingly natural sounding, especially with timbre.
Check out the other closed backs from ZMF. Natural timbre is Zach’s specialty. :wink:

I adore my VC & AC. I don’t need the Bokeh, but feels like an inevitability at this point…

Oct 2, 2023 at 1:03 PM Post #11 of 2,346
I struggle to see the practical value to be frankly honest, there are many top notch IEMs for mobile use, with some cheaper offerings outperforming headphones for 2-3k, not sure BOKEH can compete on the mobile market and considering the size of the headphone, IEMs remain much more practical solution. But yeah, nevertheless I am very intrigued. The design of the new gimbal and the cups is beautiful!

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #12 of 2,346
I struggle to see the practical value to be frankly honest, there are many top notch IEMs for mobile use, with some cheaper offerings outperforming headphones for 2-3k, not sure BOKEH can compete on the mobile market and considering the size of the headphone, IEMs remain much more practical solution. But yeah, nevertheless I am very intrigued. The design of the new gimbal and the cups is beautiful!
Im definitely not shooting to replace iems or "travel" headphones. The word "portable" is definitely misleading and likely one I shouldn't have used, but I didn't have a better thing to call BOKEH before because naming is hard!

It's very much a full sized headphone, with a slightly more convenient form factor to "carry.". Easier to drive, more sensitive, but with scalability with high end sources. In my mind, an easier way for those interested in ZMF to try our stuff, and for people familiar already with ZMF, a good at work or all day headphone for use when at a coffee shop, taking calls at a desk or on zoom, etc etc. We will have a mic cable for it as well which we just improved the microphone of as well.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Oct 2, 2023 at 1:16 PM Post #13 of 2,346
I struggle to use the practical value to be frankly honest, there are many top notch IEMs for mobile use, with some cheaper offerings outperforming headphones for 2-3k, not sure BOKEH can compete with that highly competetive mobile market and considering the size of the headphone, IEMs remain much more practical solution. But yeah, nevertheless I am intrigued.

While these can be used for portable use due to how easy they are to drive and their lighter weight, I don't believe that's what their primary focus is. Zach mentioned they scale quite well, and their price is attractive for a wider range of consumers compared to a AC or VC.

I think it just depends on what someone is looking for out of them. Personally, I would utilize the Bokeh out of a DAP or Dongle in different rooms of my house where I don't want a full gear setup. I would also use them at work occasionally.

Oct 2, 2023 at 1:17 PM Post #14 of 2,346
Im definitely not shooting to replace iems or "travel" headphones. The word "portable" is definitely misleading and likely one I shouldn't have used, but I didn't have a better thing to call BOKEH before because naming is hard!

It's very much a full sized headphone, with a slightly more convenient form factor to "carry.". Easier to drive, more sensitive, but with scalability with high end sources. In my mind, an easier way for those interested in ZMF to try our stuff, and for people familiar already with ZMF, a good at work or all day headphone for use when at a coffee shop, taking calls at a desk or on zoom, etc etc. We will have a mic cable for it as well which we just improved the microphone of as well.

I just got sniped. :smile:

Oct 2, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #15 of 2,346

yeah definitly see that use case, eying BOKEH already for my wife, who wants something good sounding that she can drive directly from her Macbook while surfing in bed or at work, without any dac and amp, curious how the headphone will perform this way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back