ZMF BOKEH - Closed Back (Semi-Portable)
Oct 2, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #16 of 2,383
It's great that the industry is seeing more and more headphone makers catering to the DAP market.

Oct 2, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #17 of 2,383
I was suprised how well a Cayin RU-7 dongle could drive my Atrium Closed directly from my phone. Sure nowwhere close to stationary holo stack but still very enjoyable.

Oct 2, 2023 at 1:39 PM Post #20 of 2,383
I was suprised how well a Cayin RU-7 dongle could drive my Atrium Closed directly from my phone. Sure nowwhere close to stationary holo stack but still very enjoyable.
I've got one coming this week. Be testing the Bokeh with it for sure.

Oct 2, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #21 of 2,383
We will have a mic cable for it as well which we just improved the microphone of as well.
Sweet! I wonder how this would be for gaming as well.

I could definitely see a use case for this in a work setting. I love listening to music while I work but my colleagues can kinda hear music through my open backs so I don't use them as much anymore. I did take my AC to work one day and it worked very well, but its harder to transport and am also wary of commuting or leaving such an expensive pair of headphones in the office.

I can see the Bokeh being a nice unit for work. Closed back, smaller, lighter. And if we could source a nice soft shell case so that you can throw it in a backpack...

Oct 2, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #22 of 2,383
And if we could source a nice soft shell case so that you can throw it in a backpack...
Ooooo guess who is on the development of that one 😝
Really excited to make something fun and functional! I am shooting for the EDC of dreams.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Oct 2, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #23 of 2,383
I believe some of the early prototypes were around 400-425 grams. Obviously the wood used will have a large impact.
By the feel of the Bocote wood version that I demoed, I would say this about right. Felt about the same heft as an LCD-5
(420 grams).

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #24 of 2,383
Really excited to make something fun and functional! I am shooting for the EDC of dreams.
That is exciting! Am expecting it to have a kick-ass name to boot!

Oct 2, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #25 of 2,383

816q1c.jpg

Oct 2, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #26 of 2,383
Oct 2, 2023 at 3:32 PM Post #27 of 2,383
The Bokeh sounded really nice at CanJam. I think calling it the entry level or portable is definitely misleading. It is just a great closed back ZMF. Lots of life to it. Had some similarities to the Atrium Closed. I tested it on the new Arcadia amp which was a nice combo, but it also sounded great on my Mojo 2. Straight out of your computer jack or with a small dongle will do ya too I'm sure.

Oct 2, 2023 at 3:50 PM Post #28 of 2,383
Im definitely not shooting to replace iems or "travel" headphones. The word "portable" is definitely misleading and likely one I shouldn't have used, but I didn't have a better thing to call BOKEH before because naming is hard!

It's very much a full sized headphone, with a slightly more convenient form factor to "carry.". Easier to drive, more sensitive, but with scalability with high end sources. In my mind, an easier way for those interested in ZMF to try our stuff, and for people familiar already with ZMF, a good at work or all day headphone for use when at a coffee shop, taking calls at a desk or on zoom, etc etc. We will have a mic cable for it as well which we just improved the microphone of as well.
Maybe "transportable" is the word rather than "portable", as it has been for some brick DAC/amps that fit in a back pack but not a back pocket, and would not normally be used on-the-go (many ifi devices cometo mind).

Oct 2, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #29 of 2,383
Bocoté wood sample pics from CanJam:
IMG_5769.jpeg

IMG_5768.jpeg

IMG_5767.jpeg

Oct 2, 2023 at 5:49 PM Post #30 of 2,383

Users who are viewing this thread

Back