iPod Classic Firmware 1.1 WARNING
Jan 21, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #31 of 147
Can one of my fellow U.S. (if that makes a difference, with respect to volume max settings) iPod Classic 160 Windows users e-mail me the files I need to downgrade it to 1.0.3? I'm looking for the following files:
  1. iPod_24.1.0.3.ipsw.signature
  2. iPod_24.1.0.3.ipsw
You can find these files in the following directory:

C:\Documents and Settings\*YOUR PROFILE NAME*\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPod Software Updates

(By default, it should be C:, but if you've installed iTunes to another drive, then use that drive letter in place of "C".)

I would very much appreciate it if you could e-mail me these files to ipod@head-fi.org.

Thanks in advance.

Jan 21, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #32 of 147
If I buy a classic will I be required to update to the new firmware?

Jan 21, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #33 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clutz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just measured the DC offset on my 80GB iPod Classic. I only found DC offset on one of the two channels, and while it was alarmingly high (ranged between about 30mV-80mV), I didn't measure it as high as 0.5V.

Cheers,
Brad

I saw .5v on the line out (i.e. through the dock connector). The offset at the headphone jack is dependent on the volume setting when the device is put to sleep. If you run the volume all the way up before putting it to sleep, you should see close to .5v at the headphone out too

nine

Jan 21, 2008 at 4:24 AM Post #34 of 147
Unfortunately, I loaded v1.1 onto my Ipod Classic without reading through this message stream. I found the static problem which is mentioned. This is occurring because the software is not properly controlling the power management chip. As a result, with the CODEC running continuously, the battery will drain slowly as it pumps out the hiss. I went to the "c:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPod Software Updates" and removed the two new files which had been copied into that directory for v1.1, making sure the v1.0.3 files were still in the directory. I then "restored" the iPod back to v1.0.3 and am currently reloading the ~100Gb of data I have onto it. I don't expect to have any problem with this restore.

My advice--don't take this update since it isn't turning off the CODEC. As well, if it is putting out a signal with an 80-500 mV DC offset, this is going to damage a lot of sensitive headphones (there are no DC decoupling capacitors in the Ipod Classic output path). I got the CODEC noise under two conditions: (1) when I manually shut down the iPod with music playing and (2) when I just paused it and let it time out. I didn't get the output noise when I paused, then manually shut the iPod down. (I didn't mess with the volume to see if it only happened when set to above 80%.)

Jan 21, 2008 at 4:25 AM Post #35 of 147
just my 2 cents worth:

since the ipod classic and the nano 3G share similar firmware roadmaps, i looked out for the same issue on my nano 3G

there isn't any noise when the nano is off mode, but every time i switch it on, i hear a moderately loud pop (that's on sensitive creative ep630s)

haven't put a multimeter to it but if anyone requests me to do so i'd do it!

Jan 21, 2008 at 4:39 AM Post #36 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can one of my fellow U.S. (if that makes a difference, with respect to volume max settings) iPod Classic 160 Windows users e-mail me the files I need to downgrade it to 1.0.3? I'm looking for the following files:
  2. iPod_24.1.0.3.ipsw

C:\Documents and Settings\*YOUR PROFILE NAME*\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPod Software Updates

(By default, it should be C:, but if you've installed iTunes to another drive, then use that drive letter in place of "C".)

I would very much appreciate it if you could e-mail me these files to ipod@head-fi.org.

Thanks in advance.

Be carefull jude. While the majority of people on the internet are good, there are some bad apples out there. One of those said bad apples could send you a corrupted firmware file, and you will end up with a brick.
wink.gif

Jan 21, 2008 at 6:51 AM Post #37 of 147
Quote:

2. iPod_24.1.0.3.ipsw

Thanks in advance.

I sent you email.

Jan 21, 2008 at 7:28 AM Post #38 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by me7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can i measure this myself with my cheap on-board audio in?

EDIT: Is there a way to downgrade a iPod? iTunes does not offer an option for that.

There is a dangerous way to check it. Turn off your amp, plug in the headphones, then turn on the amp. DC will bias the voice coil, causing the driver to shift one direction or another. Basically you will hear a pop if there is a DC bias... unfortunately that could be the last thing you hear out of your headphones. Get a multimeter
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 21, 2008 at 9:00 AM Post #39 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I buy a classic will I be required to update to the new firmware?

No. If the Classic doesn't already have the v1.1 firmware on it just go to preferences and uncheck the auto-update box.

This seems to be the only place that's discussing the problem. I would have thought more people would be finding the issue and wanting to fix it.

Jan 21, 2008 at 9:12 AM Post #40 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny Calavera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am starting to wonder if Apple out sourced all Ipod QA to India recently....
rolleyes.gif

"Dell's doing it, so why shouldn't we?" --- That's probably what the Apple execs are saying to eachother.

I don't use my iPod anymore but I won't do the upgrade for awhile until they fix this.

Can someone explain what DC offset means and why it can cause damage to your headphones? I'm curious.

Jan 21, 2008 at 11:33 AM Post #42 of 147
Quote:

Can one of my fellow U.S. (if that makes a difference, with respect to volume max settings)...

There has been a lot of discussion whether the EU installer is different from the US version. To solve this mystery, I generated MD5 hashes for the EU 1.03 installer. If someone from the US could check his files, we would know for sure.

iPod_24.1.0.3.ipsw:
Quote:

A0FC2AFA9D6D541666F3407E589E0146

iPod_24.1.0.3.ipsw.signature
Quote:

F3D3263689F05DEB5C8E018AEA93D2E2

Jan 21, 2008 at 12:47 PM Post #44 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jubei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does this have anything to do with iTunes 7.6?? Mine is asking me to allow it to update.

As far as I know no! But you better not install firmware 1.1
wink.gif

Jan 21, 2008 at 1:05 PM Post #45 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by IpodHappy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got the CODEC noise under two conditions: (1) when I manually shut down the iPod with music playing and (2) when I just paused it and let it time out. I didn't get the output noise when I paused, then manually shut the iPod down.

I was wondering why I haven't noticed this problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back