iPod Classic Firmware 1.1 WARNING
Jan 23, 2008 at 1:56 AM Post #62 of 147
They're talking about the hiss/static issue now over on the Apple boards.

Jan 23, 2008 at 2:17 AM Post #63 of 147
Can someone direct me, step by step, on how to downgrade to 1.0.3? I downloaded the 1.0.3 firmware but for some reason I don't have an 'Application Data' folder
confused.gif
i.e ''c:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPod Software Updates'' and the Application Data folder isn't there. I'm using XP Professional btw.

This really is an abysmal update and not a very nice intro to my first iPod. My cover flow fails to keep up even whilst scrolling very slowly. I have to stop scrolling for album covers to load. Apple have rushed out this update just to implement the rentals feature and without prior testing
mad.gif

Jan 23, 2008 at 8:35 PM Post #66 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clutz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just because you're not hearing anything doesn't mean your iPod doesn't have the DC offset problem. The only way to be sure would be with an unused male 1/8th TRS jack and a DMM.

Thanks for the hint, Clutz. I will just unplug the LOD when I am not using it until they sorted out this problem.

Jan 24, 2008 at 8:51 PM Post #67 of 147
80GB Classic, Black. Updated last night to 1.1. Update went as usual, no odd behavior. My $.02.

I didn't notice any hissing so I've tried to replicate the hissing/crackling that others are describing, and I haven't had much luck..

I have two sets of headphones to tinker with here at my office, the standard iPod buds and my HD650's.

Direct from the headphone jack:
Dead silence from my HD650's, at all volume levels. As expected with their high impedance. With the iPod standard headphones, I can hear a slight pop when I plug/unplug them, but there's no hissing.

Using my ALO Bling Bling dock and PA2V2 amp:

With the HD650's I'm getting dead silence even when cranked to the max.
With the standard iPod headphones (I've never plugged them into the ALO+PA2V2 combo before), at normal to LOUD listening levels I'm not hearing any static. Too-loud-to-listen is at about 25% volume on the PA2V2. If I crank it to 100% volume, I can hear a faint hissing/crackling when paused. This volume level, however, would probably cause my brain to implode and would most certainly cause hearing damage were I to actually play music at this volume.

Jan 24, 2008 at 9:16 PM Post #68 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigStig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
80GB Classic, Black. Updated last night to 1.1. Update went as usual, no odd behavior. My $.02.

I didn't notice any hissing so I've tried to replicate the hissing/crackling that others are describing, and I haven't had much luck..

I have two sets of headphones to tinker with here at my office, the standard iPod buds and my HD650's.

Direct from the headphone jack:
Dead silence from my HD650's, at all volume levels. As expected with their high impedance. With the iPod standard headphones, I can hear a slight pop when I plug/unplug them, but there's no hissing.

Using my ALO Bling Bling dock and PA2V2 amp:

With the HD650's I'm getting dead silence even when cranked to the max.
With the standard iPod headphones (I've never plugged them into the ALO+PA2V2 combo before), at normal to LOUD listening levels I'm not hearing any static. Too-loud-to-listen is at about 25% volume on the PA2V2. If I crank it to 100% volume, I can hear a faint hissing/crackling when paused. This volume level, however, would probably cause my brain to implode and would most certainly cause hearing damage were I to actually play music at this volume.

Plug your headphones in, and then while music is playing, force the iPod off and listen carefully for a few seconds, and see if the hiss appears. That's when it appears for most, based on what I've read (including my experience with it), and then pretty much disappears the moment you turn it back on.

b.gif

Jan 25, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #72 of 147
Just got off the phone with Apple support in India. The guy didn't want me to downgrade to 1.03. He says that there all these improvements in 1.1. I explained that I didn't want to toast my AKG 701's. He said that Apple recommended that you only use the official Apple Ear Buds, that Apple didn't believe in using any other buds!

Anyway, I explained that was not acceptable. The reason I called Apple was that I having trouble finding the .IPSW files on my Mac. Tried searching for it and couldn't find it. I'm leaving for a business trip out of the country, and it doesn't look like Apple will fix this before I leave. The guy in India transferred me to Andrea here in the good old U.S. of A. She was confused with my request but checked with her supervisor. She explained she wasn't allowed to tell me how to downgrade. She said I could google it though.

I said thanks, but could she tell me the trick to searching. She searched but couldn't find it either. Finally, I read the instructions from Head-fi to her and she was shocked to find the files. She was impressed. Anyway, I eventually found the files, removed them, and restored 1.03. Am sync'ing the Ipod right now. Problem solved.!

Jan 25, 2008 at 2:51 AM Post #73 of 147
For the record, since people seem incapable of reading the entire thread I'll post everything in one place.

Just because you don't hear the hiss, doesn't mean you don't have a problem with DC offset being produced by your iPod classic with firmware version 1.10. The hiss will probably be inaudible in relatively insensitive headphones. Secondly, I have measured the DC offset present while music is playing. That means you are potentially putting your headphones at risk if you use them with an iPod Classic version 1.10 regardless of whether music is playing.

The only way to be sure that you won't have a problem is to either not use your good headphones with your iPod Classic with version 1.1 firmware, downgrade the firmware on your iPod to version 1.03 (or earlier), you have the ability to test for DC offset on your own iPod and are sure it is absent, or have a DC blocking device between your headphones and iPod!

Jan 25, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #74 of 147
I wonder what firmware version the new retail stock of classics is ? Surely apple will catch it before this bug gets to the huge b&m stores. I was going to buy a new mac air, but with the classic and touch problems I might wait
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back