FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Mar 11, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #10,276 of 18,020
So my X7 arrived in the post today. Returned home very exited to try it out.

As a quick test I downloaded Spotify and one of my playlists in extreme quality and plugged in my Fidelio L2 cans.

I was pretty disappointed with the result! The SQ was just not right. I switched up and tried with my FA 4e XB and then Flare R2A, but same conclusion. 

Now I don't expect the output using Spotify to be on par with using the native Fiio player and high quality files (not tested this yet) but I certainly expected better quality using Spotify than my One Plus X (phone) headphone out. What I'm hearing compared to my phone is the bass is slightly tighter and highs ever so slightly crisper but the sound overall is not as natural. The X7 sounds artificial and slightly muted plus the soundstage is narrower with less depth, it's a less enjoyable and less enveloping sound. 

Further to this, the power from the headphone out on high gain is not all that much better than my phone!

I don't know if something is wrong with my unit or I'm missing something in the settings but right now I'm not even up for going through the process of transferring any of my FLAC's to test as I cant' see how it would be significantly different and if it can't even match my phone with Spotify then for the price I'd rather stick with my phone. 

Any thoughts?

Mar 11, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #10,277 of 18,020

As a quick test I downloaded Spotify and one of my playlists in extreme quality and plugged in my Fidelio L2 cans.

I was pretty disappointed with the result! The SQ was just not right. I switched up and tried with my FA 4e XB and then Flare R2A, but same conclusion. 

Now I don't expect the output using Spotify to be on par with using the native Fiio player and high quality files (not tested this yet) but I certainly expected better quality using Spotify than my One Plus X (phone) headphone out. What I'm hearing compared to my phone is the bass is slightly tighter and highs ever so slightly crisper but the sound overall is not as natural. The X7 sounds artificial and slightly muted plus the soundstage is narrower with less depth, it's a less enjoyable and less enveloping sound. 

Further to this, the power from the headphone out on high gain is not all that much better than my phone!

I don't know if something is wrong with my unit or I'm missing something in the settings but right now I'm not even up for going through the process of transferring any of my FLAC's to test as I cant' see how it would be significantly different and if it can't even match my phone with Spotify then for the price I'd rather stick with my phone. 

Any thoughts?

What FW are you on? 1.8 is the latest. After download a factory reset is required. I have no experience of Spotify but noticed a marked improvement once the above was complete with Tidal.

Mar 11, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #10,278 of 18,020
Mar 11, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #10,279 of 18,020

Any thoughts?

Sound will improve after a few minutes it has been turned on. Or at least, this is what happened when I tested X7. Every time, after restart, I had to wait 1-2 minutes before sound reached an ideal point. Maybe it was just creating a playlist of my collection, or indexing the collection, but this was my experience. 

Mar 11, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #10,280 of 18,020
Hmmm - seems odd!

Listening to music now streaming from Spotify using my HRT Microstreamer DAC from laptop and it's on a completely different level compared to the Fiio. 

I was hoping the X7 was going to exceed the Microstreamer but maybe I was expecting too much.

Firmware was on 1.7 - updating now to 1.8, will see if there is any improvement.

Mar 11, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #10,281 of 18,020

Any thoughts?

Rocked out with Spotify a lot during my time (Been too lazy/dealing with a broken PC mean that I have been unable to rip my new CD's). I had no issues using my HE-400's, SE-425's, and a few others. A few things, make sure that you go into settings and set your streaming/download quality if you are a premium member. Automatic tends to set you to the crappiest quality and you can really hear it in the X7 + decent HP's... 

Mar 11, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #10,283 of 18,020
There are so many posts from different threads now where people are talking about the inadequacies of the X7's original AM1 for full sized headphones. I think this is unfair.

However, I actually have the AM2 module and it still is sub-par compared to when I strap a Cayin C5 to the X7's DAC output. This is for easy to drive headphones like Denon D5000s or EtherCs, both in the ~25ohm impedance. Sound is more closed in and congested compared to the C5 - soundstage on the AM2 is worse, bass is not as well controlled and I find it a little mid-centric. I really hope Fiio step up their game with the AM4 and make something powerful, musical and with a large soundstage that is at least on par with the Cayin C5. I find the Fiio amps generally lacking in soundstage. On paper, the C5 is 2-3x more powerful than the AM2 at 32ohms - I may be concentrating on the wrong thing but full sized headphones tend to sound better with desktop amps across the board and most desktop amps are more powerful than the AM2.

Please don't make a cheap AM4, I am willing to pay up for a real high-powered stunner! I don't want to keep strapping amps to the X7 because I know you are capable of delivering a badass amp module! Help your customer out...

Peace

The ETHER C headphones is actually 22 Ohm and only 92dB efficiency. The impedance isn't the only spec to determine how easy a headphone is to drive.

Mar 11, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #10,284 of 18,020

Please don't make a cheap AM4, I am willing to pay up for a real high-powered stunner! I don't want to keep strapping amps to the X7 because I know you are capable of delivering a badass amp module! Help your customer out...

Of course it doesn't have to be FiiO delivering your dream amp module.

I wonder how long it will be before some third-party offerings emerge?

Mar 11, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #10,285 of 18,020
Mar 11, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #10,287 of 18,020
Mar 12, 2016 at 5:08 AM Post #10,288 of 18,020
  Is anyone having trouble with certain songs being erroneously grouped into two albums, one capitalized and one with normal case as shown below?

There are no tag-related discrepancies that I can see, foobar2000 correctly displays it as one album. I'm running 1.8 Firmware and did factory reset. 

Hi, this issue has been fixed in the new beta firmware FW1.82beta (click here), and you can try to update your X7. :)

Mar 12, 2016 at 5:14 AM Post #10,289 of 18,020

Sound will improve after a few minutes it has been turned on. Or at least, this is what happened when I tested X7. Every time, after restart, I had to wait 1-2 minutes before sound reached an ideal point. Maybe it was just creating a playlist of my collection, or indexing the collection, but this was my experience. 

Do you also judge new headphones right out of the box? Come on, give the X7 some burn in time.
I for one also don´t understand the negativity about the AM1. Mine sounds wonderfully balanced. Love it!  
biggrin.gif

Mar 12, 2016 at 5:22 AM Post #10,290 of 18,020
I for one also don´t understand the negativity about the AM1. Mine sounds wonderfully balanced. Love it!  :D

+1 :L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back