FLUX Mentor Class-A dual-mono headphone amplifier.
Mar 18, 2024 at 11:15 PM Post #526 of 939
Got my 2nd Flux Mentor today. Bad news, it’s a dud and won’t turn on. Sigh… gonna have to ship it back.

Mar 18, 2024 at 11:54 PM Post #527 of 939
Got my 2nd Flux Mentor today. Bad news, it’s a dud and won’t turn on. Sigh… gonna have to ship it back.
no way! did it maybe not get switched to 115v?
Damn, Homey, I feel bad for you for realz. Ain't no way I'm 'liking' that post...

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2024 at 7:56 AM Post #528 of 939
That's very unfortunate.. can't imagine it went in such a state already from the Flux, curious how much of a negative impact the transport can bring.

Hope all will go right, please give us an update on how such a process of return or repair goes in this case. I imagine it can be a process of several weeks.

Mar 19, 2024 at 10:02 AM Post #530 of 939
Has anyone tried Mentor with Sennheiser HD800(s)? How does it synergize?
Can someone comment on this please?
I have tried it with HD8XX and they synergize very well.

Honestly, I can't think of a headphone that doesn't synergize well with the Mentor.

Mar 19, 2024 at 2:31 PM Post #531 of 939
It’s fixed! So recap: I got my 2nd flux mentor yesterday but it wouldn’t turn on. Contacted Flux for concern and they responded that the cable must have gotten loose when in transit. Showed me a video of how to pushed the cable back in. After I opened the chassis with a 1.5mm hexa wrench, found the loose cable plug. Pushed it back and viola, now this works.

View attachment IMG_0336.jpeg

Mar 19, 2024 at 2:42 PM Post #532 of 939
View attachment IMG_0337.jpeg

Impression on the Dual Mono Flux Mentor setup: no EQ. Using Yggy GS2 DAC and Susvara headphones.

In comparison to a single setup the dual setup has an even larger sound stage. I wasn’t sure if that was even possible considering the solo Mentor already had a large soundstage. So if the single Mentor is a Large room, the dual Mentor is a movie theatre or a small concert hall in size. There is a bit more resolution on the treble on top of a very resolving amplifier. Orchestra music or movie scores are amazing on the dual and you can feel you are live in the middle of a concert hall.

Cons: not sure if you would consider this a con, but there is less bass coloration.

My MJ3 has the greatest bass rumble and coloration making it a joy for smooth jazz. Single Mentor has a concise fast bass with better low frequency resolution making it great for faster paced music. Dual Mentor has slim to very tight bass, but over all expansion of resolution in all frequencies and instrumental separation making it great for classical music and epic movie scores.

Now once I start EQing, the Dual Mentor is amazing. I got my bass rumble ( tight impactful bass but not as smooth as MJ3) with great sound resolution, no sibilance, and very large sound stage. I’m going through the entire Avenger Music score right now. Considering the designer of the Susvara intended it for orchestra music, the dual mono flux mentor is the perfect pairing.

On the HEK stealth headphone for the dual compared to single Mentor: Again improved sound stage and clarity. To the point that the HEK stealth is even more resolving in details than the Susvara. It feels almost effortless. The issue though is that it’s way too much detail and you hear some sibilance on highs. On Ghibli piano songs by Joe Hisaishi, you can hear his hands running across the piano while he’s playing it. You can hear the back ground water sounds. It’s ridiculously resolving, but less warm than the single Mentor.

Does this mean the HEK is better than Susvara? No. It just more resolving, but the Susvara has it beat in everything else from bass, mid smoothness, and clear highs without much sibilance.

I think I’m done with my gears. The only thing I might upgrade in the future is my DAC but that’s a big IF.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2024 at 3:28 PM Post #533 of 939
To the point that the HEK stealth is even more resolving in details than the Susvara.
More treble =/= more detail

Mar 19, 2024 at 3:30 PM Post #534 of 939
More treble =/= more detail
I know but I hear what I hear. I’m not a professional reviewer of audio gear so you’ll have to excuse my lack of vocabulary.

Mar 19, 2024 at 4:29 PM Post #535 of 939
Impression on the Dual Mono Flux Mentor setup: no EQ. Using Yggy GS2 DAC and Susvara headphones.

In comparison to a single setup the dual setup has an even larger sound stage. I wasn’t sure if that was even possible considering the solo Mentor already had a large soundstage. So if the single Mentor is a Large room, the dual Mentor is a movie theatre or a small concert hall in size. There is a bit more resolution on the treble on top of a very resolving amplifier. Orchestra music or movie scores are amazing on the dual and you can feel you are live in the middle of a concert hall.

Cons: not sure if you would consider this a con, but there is less bass coloration.

My MJ3 has the greatest bass rumble and coloration making it a joy for smooth jazz. Single Mentor has a concise fast bass with better low frequency resolution making it great for faster paced music. Dual Mentor has slim to very tight bass, but over all expansion of resolution in all frequencies and instrumental separation making it great for classical music and epic movie scores.

Now once I start EQing, the Dual Mentor is amazing. I got my bass rumble ( tight impactful bass but not as smooth as MJ3) with great sound resolution, no sibilance, and very large sound stage. I’m going through the entire Avenger Music score right now. Considering the designer of the Susvara intended it for orchestra music, the dual mono flux mentor is the perfect pairing.

On the HEK stealth headphone for the dual compared to single Mentor: Again improved sound stage and clarity. To the point that the HEK stealth is even more resolving in details than the Susvara. It feels almost effortless. The issue though is that it’s way too much detail and you hear some sibilance on highs. On Ghibli piano songs by Joe Hisaishi, you can hear his hands running across the piano while he’s playing it. You can hear the back ground water sounds. It’s ridiculously resolving, but less warm than the single Mentor.

Does this mean the HEK is better than Susvara? No. It just more resolving, but the Susvara has it beat in everything else from bass, mid smoothness, and clear highs without much sibilance.

I think I’m done with my gears. The only thing I might upgrade in the future is my DAC but that’s a big IF.
I knew it would be better. Glad you did it.

Pictures, Bro.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2024 at 6:47 PM Post #536 of 939
Mar 19, 2024 at 7:00 PM Post #537 of 939

Looks super cool!!!

Mar 19, 2024 at 8:21 PM Post #538 of 939
veruh noice

Mar 20, 2024 at 8:38 AM Post #539 of 939
Hey, if there are any Mentor owners located in the NYC area that would like to meet up and do some side by side listening with my MJ3 I’d be all for it. Feel free to message me if so.

Mar 21, 2024 at 2:33 AM Post #540 of 939
Man, this amp has opened up a bit more over the last day or so; I'm a week in now and it's sounding fuller and more holographic. There's space between the notes and the layering is just fantastic.
The Yggy is no slouch either!~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back