FLUX Mentor Class-A dual-mono headphone amplifier.
Mar 23, 2024 at 9:58 PM Post #556 of 779
You can ameliorate some of the issues with Delta-Sigma DACs by upsampling to DSD on HQPlayer, that's what I do with my my DAC and it helps a lot but I understand most people, even die-hard audiophiles will never touch upsampling because it's burdensome.
Well, as Ichos said there are also very good D/S DACs. To me they have their place. For instance a good 4490 or 9038 and a tube amp is a great match.
But with clean and clear Solid State amps an R2R DAC seems to be a better synergistic fit- as always, your mileage may vary.

Mar 23, 2024 at 10:37 PM Post #557 of 779
Well, as Ichos said there are also very good D/S DACs. To me they have their place. For instance a good 4490 or 9038 and a tube amp is a great match.
But with clean and clear Solid State amps an R2R DAC seems to be a better synergistic fit- as always, your mileage may vary.
That's why I'm looking to buy a Cyan 2, upsample to DSD everything on HQP and call it a day 4evah!!!

Mar 23, 2024 at 11:28 PM Post #558 of 779
Well yes. Actually I have personal experience with this. As you all know I got the 2 units for the dual mono setup. I bought a 2nd unit after liking the first.

Well the 2nd unit stopped working on me. I contacted Flux and they showed me where the cable may have gotten loose during transport. Considering the amp has to travel through a battle field to get to me, I am surprised my first unit is doing so great.

Unfortunately, the 2nd unit worked for a couple days then it died again. Permanently, this time. So I contacted them again and they are sending a new unit to me in the next couple days. Pretty quick response too.

On their site, they allow for 15 days to try out their stuff similar to how Schiit does it with their products. Shipping from there to here takes about 5-7 business days.
What's that cost though out of curiosity?

Mar 23, 2024 at 11:29 PM Post #559 of 779
Mar 23, 2024 at 11:37 PM Post #560 of 779
Make sure emphasize to the shipping company that it's being sent for a repair, in case some weird import tax scenario happens.

Mar 24, 2024 at 1:21 AM Post #561 of 779
I'm glad I got in when I did because they are completely out of stock currently.

Mar 24, 2024 at 1:25 AM Post #562 of 779
I'm glad I got in when I did because they are completely out of stock currently.
Oh wow, they are out. At least I got one Mentor working. I do miss my dual mono though. I went through the Avenger movie scores and had a blast.

Mar 24, 2024 at 2:34 AM Post #563 of 779
Oh wow, they are out. At least I got one Mentor working. I do miss my dual mono though. I went through the Avenger movie scores and had a blast.
You have a replacement one in route or did you elect to refund it?

Mar 24, 2024 at 2:46 AM Post #564 of 779
Mine still on the way, should arrive within 2 days.. Hopefully all will be good with that one.

Mar 24, 2024 at 2:47 AM Post #565 of 779
Mine still on the way, should arrive within 2 days.. Hopefully all will be good with that one.
Im sure it will be. It sounds great day one but it sounds even better after about a week. Gets more holographic.

You're in for a fun week! Pontus II and HeKse on Mentor will be a fabulous pairing; not all too different from Yggy > HeKs. In fact I had the Pontus II was in my cart more than once but ended up with the Yggy. They are both excellent DACs. Almost bought the HeKse as well but that extra $600 I saved swayed me. If they had been a little bit closer in price I would have found a way.

Endgame quality chain! Make sure you post a pic or 2, I want to see how the Mentor stacks with Pontus.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2024 at 3:12 AM Post #566 of 779
Endgame quality chain! Make sure you post a pic or 2, I want to see how the Mentor stacks with Pontus.
Absolutely!
Pontus II did a miracle to my speakers' chain so I have only the highest hopes here. And in addition to that, I have one more "black box" incoming.. I was already for quite some time exploring what or if something to do with the power for both chains now. After a long decision process, I ordered the Puritan PSM156. Just want to find out myself what it can bring.

Things evolved in such a way both Mentor and Puritan will come together, although from different places altogether. So yeah, looks like a lot of testing and fun ahead this week.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2024 at 3:17 AM Post #567 of 779
Oh, wow, that's really excellent. That's a proper power conditioner. I'm curious your results.
Funny how things work out getting them both the same day happened to me with my Yggy coming from California and my Mentor coming from Ukraine somehow both ended up coming on the same day. THATS how you get a sonic leap.

Mar 24, 2024 at 3:26 AM Post #568 of 779
You have a replacement one in route or did you elect to refund it?
Replacement. No way I’m refunding.

I was getting used to the dual mono’s extensive details. It was information overload at first but it was getting better. Almost missed work for the first couple days of getting them because I forgot to sleep on time.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2024 at 3:40 AM Post #569 of 779
Replacement. No way I’m refunding.

I was getting used to the dual mono’s extensive details. It was information overload at first but it was getting better. Almost missed work for the first couple days of getting them because I forgot to sleep on time.
Yeah I bet it's dreamy. Gonna have to do that one day.

Mar 24, 2024 at 3:45 AM Post #570 of 779
Yeah I bet it's dreamy. Gonna have to do that one day.
Don’t let the missus find out. She’s might whip you with those expensive looking Norne Cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back