FLUX Mentor Class-A dual-mono headphone amplifier.
Mar 23, 2024 at 4:43 AM Post #541 of 925
Sounds like an interesting amp, just wish it shipped from US in case the amp isn't my preference. I'm maybe thinking of dabbling a bit but, worried the op-amp design might be a little too bright.

Mar 23, 2024 at 1:26 PM Post #542 of 925
Sounds like an interesting amp, just wish it shipped from US in case the amp isn't my preference. I'm maybe thinking of dabbling a bit but, worried the op-amp design might be a little too bright.
They have a 15 day return policy.

Mar 23, 2024 at 2:23 PM Post #543 of 925
This is exactly what is holding me back from ordering. Still reconsidering all the alternatives.
There is no reviews with HD800...
Just a short notice from our friend Ichos:

I have tried it with HD8XX and they synergize very well.

Honestly, I can't think of a headphone that doesn't synergize well with the Mentor.

Mar 23, 2024 at 3:01 PM Post #544 of 925
This is not a bright amplifier. The treble is resolving, extended and refined. without a hint of sharpness or harshness. Energetic yet smooth.

Mar 23, 2024 at 3:07 PM Post #545 of 925
This is exactly what is holding me back from ordering. Still reconsidering all the alternatives.
Let's get something clear. I guarantee that the Mentor will not add or accentuate more the brightness of the HD800S but don't expect it to tame it or perform any kind of frequency manipulation. The HD800S will still be the same headphone as we all know it.

Mar 23, 2024 at 3:21 PM Post #546 of 925
There is some serious cognitive dissonance going on with this amp.

Why is it soooo hard for people to accept it's a great amp?

Do y'all not remember Flux Volot, Flux Fa-10, Flux Fa-12, etc?

Mar 23, 2024 at 3:30 PM Post #547 of 925

If you want an amp that has some hope to subtley tame the HD800 treble with its influence, then I'd suggest the Bryston BHA-1 solid state headphone Amp. BHA-1 is transparent from the bass to the mids, and is subtley forgiving in the Treble (it is not a warm/colored amp). Or go full coloring-amp and risk buying a Schiit stack, but those are not great in terms of quality control. I'd suggest a Schiit Yggdrasil w/GS2 module, and a Mjolnir3 amp.

I don't own this Mentor but got a Volot. I also would say the Volot is just mostly transparent and does not add glare or shine to the playback. But it is not reducing it either.

Assuming my Volot share similarities to the current gen Mentor:

When using a generic D/S dac....the dac's glare comes through to the playback, but you get a fun incisive edge to the imagery, and more physicality to the bass(my Gustard A22 dac and Fiio R7 line out).

Using a custom fpga dac....like my Exogal Comet Plus dac....there is no glare at all to the treble. And you get a Goldilocks-Zone of imagery that has a enough edge to still feel nice. But definitely not as "fun" as the D/S stuff I have (but they have that accompanying glare).

Because of my Exogal Comet Plus dac, Ive never had to get an r-2r dac home to try with my Volot. Because this Comet dac probably covers a similar presentation and I bet is less boring in doing so.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2024 at 3:40 PM Post #548 of 925
If you want an amp that has some hope to subtley tame the HD800 treble with its influence, then I'd suggest the Bryston BHA-1 solid state headphone Amp. BHA-1 is transparent from the bass to the mids, and is subtley forgiving in the Treble (it is not a warm/colored amp). Or go full coloring-amp and risk buying a Schiit stack, but those are not great in terms of quality control. I'd suggest a Schiit Yggdrasil w/GS2 module, and a Mjolnir3 amp.

I don't own this Mentor but got a Volot. I also would say the Volot is just mostly transparent and does not add and glare or shine to the playback. But it is not reducing it either.

Assuming my Volot share similarities to the current gen Mentor:

When using a generic D/S dac....the dac's glare comes through to the playback, but you get a fun incisive edge to the imagery, and more physicality to the bass(my Gustard A22 dac and Fiio R7 line out).

Using a custom fpga dac....like my Exogal Comet Plus dac....there is no glare at all to the treble. And you get a Goldilocks-Zone of imagery that has a enough edge to still feel nice. But definitely not as "fun" as the D/S stuff I have (but they have an accompanying glare as well).

Because of my Exogal Comet Plus dac, Ive never had to get an r-2r dac home to try with my Volot. Because this Comet dac probably covers a similar presentation and I bet is less boring in doing so.
Yep, agreed. I'd add if one were to want a warmer colored Mentor/Volot class amp than the newest one , Flux M-Field , might be a better fit.
You also touched on something that I think is becoming all too common- blaming the amp for what is essentially a negative born from Delta-Sigma DACs.
There are still a lot of folks out there with serious misconceptions about DACs. Hearing folks speak of "too-bright", etc while using a D/S DAC is head scratching tbh. It's like, "Well, YEAH. What'd you expect?"

Mar 23, 2024 at 3:46 PM Post #549 of 925
Yep, agreed. I'd add if one were to want a warmer colored Mentor/Volot class amp than the newest one , Flux M-Field , might be a better fit.
You also touched on something that I think is becoming all too common- blaming the amp for what is essentially a negative born from Delta-Sigma DACs.
There are still a lot of folks out there with serious misconceptions about DACs. Hearing folks speak of "too-bright", etc while using a D/S DAC is head scratching tbh. It's like, "Well, YEAH. What'd you expect?"
Well said but as always there are exceptions. I can think a couple D/S DACs that don't have that digital glare and artificiality.

Mar 23, 2024 at 3:47 PM Post #550 of 925
Well said but as always there are exceptions. I can think a couple D/S DACs that don't have that digital glare and artificiality.
Yeah, I totally agree if I didnt communicate that well.

Mar 23, 2024 at 3:59 PM Post #551 of 925
This is not a bright amplifier. The treble is resolving, extended and refined. without a hint of sharpness or harshness. Energetic yet smooth.
Yep, I think that people when they hear highly resolving treble, they tend to go to topping's take on what highly resolving treble is, and that's why they think this amp is going to be overly bright and sharp.

Mar 23, 2024 at 4:16 PM Post #552 of 925
You can ameliorate some of the issues with Delta-Sigma DACs by upsampling to DSD on HQPlayer, that's what I do with my my DAC and it helps a lot but I understand most people, even die-hard audiophiles will never touch upsampling because it's burdensome.

Mar 23, 2024 at 5:26 PM Post #554 of 925
Right - but if it's not an ideal fit one has to ship it back to Ukraine is it?
Well yes. Actually I have personal experience with this. As you all know I got the 2 units for the dual mono setup. I bought a 2nd unit after liking the first.

Well the 2nd unit stopped working on me. I contacted Flux and they showed me where the cable may have gotten loose during transport. Considering the amp has to travel through a battle field to get to me, I am surprised my first unit is doing so great.

Unfortunately, the 2nd unit worked for a couple days then it died again. Permanently, this time. So I contacted them again and they are sending a new unit to me in the next couple days. Pretty quick response too.

On their site, they allow for 15 days to try out their stuff similar to how Schiit does it with their products. Shipping from there to here takes about 5-7 business days.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2024 at 6:22 PM Post #555 of 925
Yep, I think that people when they hear highly resolving treble, they tend to go to topping's take on what highly resolving treble is, and that's why they think this amp is going to be overly bright and sharp.
Topping... and no offense to anybody here, but- thats more of a bleached-out, skinnier version compared to a smooth, full, dreamy treble of a Mentor. That said, it's a taste that some prefer and I think that is fabulous- it's just not for me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back