Grace Design x Massdrop m9XX DAC/Amp Review: First Impressions
Oct 24, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #34 of 2,153
Yet another "how does this compare" question. This time with the CEntrace DACMini CX? The CX is on mass drop for 399 sometimes, and is rated as class A as a DAC by stereophile. Both seem to have a similar feature set, although the grace has cross feed! So many choices.

Any comments on a comparison?

Oct 24, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #36 of 2,153
Oh, are there any other amps in this price range that have cross feed?

Update:

• iFi iCanz and DSD
  • FiiO e12
  • SPL phonation mini
  • corda jazz
  • corda Classic
  • corda
  • lecterton UHA-4
  • lecterton UHA760

Oct 24, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #37 of 2,153
Yet another "how does this compare" question. This time with the CEntrace DACMini CX? The CX is on mass drop for 399 sometimes, and is rated as class A as a DAC by stereophile. Both seem to have a similar feature set, although the grace has cross feed! So many choices.

Any comments on a comparison?

I can't compare these at all, since I've not heard either.

However, I have been listening to a V800/V200 combo for about 3 years and recently got an M920.  I find the cross feed on the M920 to very nice and wish it was available on the V200.  It's a very cool feature which I find makes some recordings sound much more natural and less fatiguing.  I leave it on by default.

Much like Jude said, I've wanted a Grace M90X for *years*.  I think since the M901.  So I'd go for the M9XX.

Oct 24, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #38 of 2,153
Guys, I just want to know if m9xx is on par with m903 or m920..
It's been two years since m920 came out and five years since m903.
If Grace Design guys want to make a compact device that is on par with them, they can do that now.
Can anyone, including the firsr reviewer, compare sound quality of m9xx to that of m920 and m903?
Can m9xx provide reference quality audio?
Can it be used with studio monitors?

M920 and m903 were built for that purpose but they're out of my price range. 2k for a headphone amp is unrealistic for my budget.....

Honestly, I think its appearance is similar to Apogee's Protools Duet audio interface.

This Apogee Duet Protools version has Sabre DAC chips inside... it's also very small. It costs $799 as brand new, $500 as used on ebay. It came out few months ago...
I was thinking about buying this because Apogee claim that it has really good AD/DA conversion...
But I think it will not beat m9XX's conversion...

Oct 24, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #42 of 2,153
Great writeup jude! 

Really seems to be an amazing and versatile DAC/amp combo. The ability to drive so many different cans is definitely a huge selling point. The clean design is nice also. Will have to check this out when it goes up again on MD! 

Oct 25, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #43 of 2,153
Great writeup jude! 

Really seems to be an amazing and versatile DAC/amp combo. The ability to drive so many different cans is definitely a huge selling point. The clean design is nice also. Will have to check this out when it goes up again on MD! 

It goes live Monday.

Oct 25, 2015 at 12:59 AM Post #45 of 2,153
Thank you MB Grace. I fully follow, whether with the math or without. :)

I plan to get in on the drop. I expect to be hearing from the mrs..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back