Grace Design x Massdrop m9XX DAC/Amp Review: First Impressions
Oct 25, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #62 of 2,153
The ODAC is really great, but it is also limited to 24/96 and uses a stupid USB connector that you won't find on any good modern DACs. I'd make a wager that this Grace m9xx kicks the crap out of the ODAC. I do love me some DSD, and 24/192 does sound better than 24/96. I used Linn's 24 bits of Christmas thing last year to compare 16/44, 24/96, and 24/192 versions of the same track. I did this after reading a whole bunch of stuff that says that 24/192 is a total waste of time because we can't hear it. You can hear it. Music sounds fuller at 24/192. I found 24/96 versions of the same song to sound rougher, with more sharp bristly bits. 24/192 was just a smoother experience. I mourned for my wallet that month.

My experience has been that the closer you are to the original master the better it sounds. So if you have an analog master, transfer to DSD will generally sound the best. If your master is FLAC based digital, the highest bitrate FLAC you can afford is the best option.

The Odac and the new grace use mini and micro USB connectors respectively. Neither use the more common A/B USB cable. Buying a high end gold plated diamond encrusted cryogenically tempered llama intestine insulated camel hair dialectic kissed by God cable may be an issue

Oct 25, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #63 of 2,153
I think the Chord Mojo is an interesting option. But quite a bit more than the m9xx. Would be interesting to see how they compare, but I doubt anyone would. 

Only $100 difference, at least in the States. Cheers

Oct 25, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #64 of 2,153
Yeah, sadly I'm not stateside anymore. So shipping from moon-audio will cost me 50 bucks. Unless the Chord is a clear winner, I see no reason to buy it. It is portable and I think that's a rather nice feature. But I'm not really tempted by much else (least of all the looks). The DSD and PCM support is beyond anything I've seen, but they may have overdone it. 256 DSD and 768Khz support is crazy high and I've yet to see files of either quality. 

Oct 25, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #65 of 2,153
Posted review on first page.  Happy weekend everyone! 
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 25, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #67 of 2,153
I agree. It does boil down to what you want. If I was in the market for a portable DAC/AMP combo that would work with my phone, etc, then I would probably get the Chord and be done with it. But I'm not a huge fan of stacking on my mobile. So my consideration would be as desktop setups and the Chord is in that instance, just more expensive with features I don't think I will need. I am legitimately curious as to how they compare though just on sound quality alone. The Chord does seem to get very good reviews. 

Oct 25, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #69 of 2,153
I just discovered a typo in a document we sent out to the reviewers and Massdrop:
The amplifier in the m9XX is incorrectly indicated at the THS6072.  The correct number is THS6012!
Big difference...
-Michael

Oct 26, 2015 at 12:41 AM Post #70 of 2,153
  I just discovered a typo in a document we sent out to the reviewers and Massdrop:
The amplifier in the m9XX is incorrectly indicated at the THS6072.  The correct number is THS6012!
Big difference...
-Michael

Can m9XX compete with M903 and M920 in sound quality??
Please tell us your hones opinion.
Can m9xx be used for recording studio monitoring just like m920? 
Is it a professional reference device or an audiophile device?

Oct 26, 2015 at 1:35 AM Post #71 of 2,153
Sorry I've been out all weekend so haven't been around to answer anything. I'll cover what I can.

Quote:
I love to know how it compares with m920 in sound quality...
Does it come close? I understand it has similar features...

I heard that DAC1 isn't too different from Benchmark DAC2.
The reviewer says DAC2 is the only device that outperforms M9XX...while m9xx sounds better than DAC1.
I've heard DAC2 D. It indeed sounds very accurate...

Personally I find the DAC 1 and DAC 2 to be worlds apart. The DAC 1 sounds artificial to me - it's thin, brittle, and just downright unpleasant in the upper mids and above. Not lifelike at all, despite the initial feeling of "wow, detail!" which wears off over time. DAC 2 is quite a bit better imho. Funny how Benchmark always claimed their DAC 1 was essentially ideal, couldn't be improved upon, etc, then they went and made a much nicer DAC afer all. 

I can't compare these at all, since I've not heard either.

However, I have been listening to a V800/V200 combo for about 3 years and recently got an M920.  I find the cross feed on the M920 to very nice and wish it was available on the V200.  It's a very cool feature which I find makes some recordings sound much more natural and less fatiguing.  I leave it on by default.

Much like Jude said, I've wanted a Grace M90X for *years*.  I think since the M901.  So I'd go for the M9XX.

Yes, the Crossfeed has grown on me, I use it more often than not. Some headphones don't respond so well though, as it can sometimes sound like it takes the midrange out a bit (in terms of distance). Not a good match for every headphone or every song, but more often than not I do enjoy it. 

Guys, I just want to know if m9xx is on par with m903 or m920..
It's been two years since m920 came out and five years since m903.
If Grace Design guys want to make a compact device that is on par with them, they can do that now.
Can anyone, including the firsr reviewer, compare sound quality of m9xx to that of m920 and m903?
Can m9xx provide reference quality audio?
Can it be used with studio 

I haven't owned the m903 or m920 so I can't say for sure. But I heard them both and certainly the m9XX isn't worlds behind. It's up to you how big of a difference is meaningful, but for me - the m9XX is clearly the better value by miles, assuming one doesn't need balanced outs or other features lacking on the little device. The bigger units may increase the SQ by some degree... is it worth it for the price? That's personal for each user. 

I do think the m9XX has a "reference" sound to it. And yes, I use it with Adam Audio monitors with excellent results. 

Looks interesting.
I wonder how this stacks against DAC/AMP solutions like the Burson Conductor

Being not a huge fan of the Conductor, I might take the m9XX over it in many situations. But they both have their own sound and some will like Burson's better. 

Since the Benchmark DACs get mentioned a lot around the Grace Design m903 etc, I have to ask since massdrop also has a drop on their Objective 2/ODAC right now. Would the m9xx be a significant upgrade to the O2/ODAC? I'm already in the drop but am considering upgrading to the M9xx

I don't put the O2/ODAC in the same league as this at all. Not sure if the new Element model has changed much, but I found the original just "OK" and not amazing as some people suggest. 

Would the internal DAC on the m9xx combo pair well with a Bottlehead Crack? Would there be a noticeable difference? (The Crack + Speedball upgrade, if that makes any difference.)

Edit: I have the hd600&650 and want some desk-friendly endgame gear that can play well with the Crack and also fuel all my low impedance phones and iems... Currently juggling that duty with portable amps from FiiO and Centrance. I was about to pull the trigger on an ODAC and matching O2 amp, but I know myself, and would rather pull the trigger on a higher tier device from the get go.

Any photographers who have gone through the unfortunate upgrade fever of tripods knows what I'm talking about... Aim for an endgame device once you identify that this is one of your addicti... **ahem** ... hobbies.

Crack would be a very different take on amplification, excellent with HD600/HD650. It would be great to have that option as well as the more neutral integrated Grace headphone amp for an alternative take on the music. Seems like a very good combo to me. 

Big difference...
-Michael

Thanks Michael, I've updated my review to reflect the proper model number. 

Oct 26, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #73 of 2,153
Is there any use case where an iPhone 6+ or iPad Air 2 could work with the M9XX? I am interested in determining how this would compare to my Creative E5 and whether it's actually viable for an iOS user on the go, or if this would simply replace my current office DAC/amp.

Oct 26, 2015 at 2:34 AM Post #74 of 2,153
Is there any use case where an iPhone 6+ or iPad Air 2 could work with the M9XX? I am interested in determining how this would compare to my Creative E5 and whether it's actually viable for an iOS user on the go, or if this would simply replace my current office DAC/amp.

Yes there is. Apple CCK + Cute USB hub. 
I am using m9XX as a portable amp with a 10,000mA Anker battery. This battery lasts two full work days driving HD800.

http://www.amazon.com/Cute-USB-2-Port-Splitter-White/dp/B00A81ISJ6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1445841174&sr=8-2&keywords=cute+usb+hub

Oct 26, 2015 at 2:41 AM Post #75 of 2,153
Thanks HiFiGuy528! I have the 23000mA Anker and a CCK, so it sounds like I just need to add this USB hub to get it going. If I pair this with active monitors in my office, I may end up replacing my UDA-1 and E5 in short order in favor of this. A nice consolation after having to choose between the m920 and k812 drops at the beginning of the month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back