Gustard H26 Fully Balanced Class A Headphone Amp
Jan 22, 2024 at 8:55 PM Post #61 of 104
Got mine in the mail today. First impressions are very good.

Before the H26 I had an Aune S17 Pro (which I sold before getting the H26, so I couldn't do a direct comparison), and in the meantime I was using an Aune S7 Pro. I would say the H26's sound signature is closer to the S7 than the S17, but it is smoother/clearer than either of them, with a wider/deeper soundstage. To me it sounds very neutral, but I imagine most people would say it's warm. (When I say neutral, I am not talking about the harsh, ice-cold, etchy sound from the likes of Topping and THX amps from 5 years ago.) I'm pretty bad at describing sound, so I'll leave it at that. The sound from both the preamp-out and the headphone-out changed drastically with a few hours of warm-up/burn-in, though I haven't had it long enough to comment on long-term burn-in.

I may be alone in this, but I did not like the sound from the preamp-out of the Aune S17, and I find the H26's preamp-out to be much more to my liking. I may try putting in some Sparkos op-amps to see if it improves further, but I think the preamp-out is fantastic as-is.

The volume knob turns smoothly with a nice amount of resistance and no sort of tactile bumping/clicking, but very audible clicking can be heard inside the unit with every volume step. It is definitely my favorite volume knob I've used so far. You can enable/disable the headphone-out and the preamp-out in the menu, so it gives you the option to have both running, one-or-the-other running, or neither running. It's easy enough to switch them on/off using either the remote or the volume knob. The screen will brighten up when you interact with the unit, and then either dim or turn off after a few seconds, depending on what you have it set to. You can mute the H26 by quick-pressing the power button.

Going from volume 1 to 99, I did not detect any "jumps" in the middle whatsoever. There is no stuttering when turning the knob, and the amp can get much quieter than the Aune S17.

Overall, I'm very happy with the H26. Using it along with an R26 fed i2s from an SMSL PO100 Pro, I believe I have found my endgame as far as DACs/HP amps/preamps are concerned.

20240122_163455.JPG

Jan 22, 2024 at 9:16 PM Post #62 of 104
Got mine in the mail today. First impressions are very good.

Before the H26 I had an Aune S17 Pro (which I sold before getting the H26, so I couldn't do a direct comparison), and in the meantime I was using an Aune S7 Pro. I would say the H26's sound signature is closer to the S7 than the S17, but it is smoother/clearer than either of them, with a wider/deeper soundstage. To me it sounds very neutral, but I imagine most people would say it's warm. (When I say neutral, I am not talking about the harsh, ice-cold, etchy sound from the likes of Topping and THX amps from 5 years ago.) I'm pretty bad at describing sound, so I'll leave it at that. The sound from both the preamp-out and the headphone-out changed drastically with a few hours of warm-up/burn-in, though I haven't had it long enough to comment on long-term burn-in.

I may be alone in this, but I did not like the sound from the preamp-out of the Aune S17, and I find the H26's preamp-out to be much more to my liking. I may try putting in some Sparkos op-amps to see if it improves further, but I think the preamp-out is fantastic as-is.

The volume knob turns smoothly with a nice amount of resistance and no sort of tactile bumping/clicking, but very audible clicking can be heard inside the unit with every volume step. It is definitely my favorite volume knob I've used so far. You can enable/disable the headphone-out and the preamp-out in the menu, so it gives you the option to have both running, one-or-the-other running, or neither running. It's easy enough to switch them on/off using either the remote or the volume knob. The screen will brighten up when you interact with the unit, and then either dim or turn off after a few seconds, depending on what you have it set to. You can mute the H26 by quick-pressing the power button.

Going from volume 1 to 99, I did not detect any "jumps" in the middle whatsoever. There is no stuttering when turning the knob, and the amp can get much quieter than the Aune S17.

Overall, I'm very happy with the H26. Using it along with an R26 fed i2s from an SMSL PO100 Pro, I believe I have found my endgame as far as DACs/HP amps/preamps are concerned.

20240122_163455.JPG
really appreciated for the review and comparison with aune s17 pro. Do you have any concerns that may be related to internal temperature? How h26 handle the heat and cool down the unit by design?

Jan 22, 2024 at 9:42 PM Post #63 of 104
really appreciated for the review and comparison with aune s17 pro. Do you have any concerns that may be related to internal temperature? How h26 handle the heat and cool down the unit by design?
I may not be the best person to ask about heat, lol. I am using 600 ohm headphones and had 0 issues with heat on 100mA mode on the S17. As of now, the H26 is warm to the touch, with the right side being warmer than elsewhere. It isn't close to being "uncomfortably warm" (like the S17 Pro was for me) or "hot," but I have only had it running for 5 or so hours, so it could still heat up more. Also, while I said I didn't like the preamp-out on the S17, I did like the headphone-out on it. The S17 Pro is a better headphone amp than the S7 Pro, but I liked them about the same due to my sound signature preferences lining up more with the S7 Pro (and the S7 Pro already being a killer headphone amp). On the other hand, I find the H26 to line up with my sound signature preferences while also beating the S17 Pro in overall sound quality, although I wouldn't say it's by much.

Jan 23, 2024 at 12:10 AM Post #64 of 104
I may not be the best person to ask about heat, lol. I am using 600 ohm headphones and had 0 issues with heat on 100mA mode on the S17. As of now, the H26 is warm to the touch, with the right side being warmer than elsewhere. It isn't close to being "uncomfortably warm" (like the S17 Pro was for me) or "hot," but I have only had it running for 5 or so hours, so it could still heat up more. Also, while I said I didn't like the preamp-out on the S17, I did like the headphone-out on it. The S17 Pro is a better headphone amp than the S7 Pro, but I liked them about the same due to my sound signature preferences lining up more with the S7 Pro (and the S7 Pro already being a killer headphone amp). On the other hand, I find the H26 to line up with my sound signature preferences while also beating the S17 Pro in overall sound quality, although I wouldn't say it's by much.
I don’t have s17pro but i and my friend use h26 it doesn't get hot at all warm maybe a little bit in very comfortable way. But then i have never try listen 5hrs so cant say much.

Jan 23, 2024 at 7:46 PM Post #66 of 104
The Gustard H26 does require some break in time to open up. However, you will be rewarded. It has a very black background. The sound is clean with proper note weight. It is also quite 3 dimensional for a solid-state amp. I use it in combination with my Gustard A26 DAC. These provide by far the blackest background to the music I have ever heard.
In combination they are very Iem friendly as the Gustard A26 has analog Attenuation setting if needed.

Jan 23, 2024 at 8:12 PM Post #67 of 104
Are any H26 owners using very efficient headphones or IEM's?

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2024 at 10:14 PM Post #68 of 104
The Gustard H26 does require some break in time to open up. However, you will be rewarded. It has a very black background. The sound is clean with proper note weight. It is also quite 3 dimensional for a solid-state amp. I use it in combination with my Gustard A26 DAC. These provide by far the blackest background to the music I have ever heard.
In combination they are very Iem friendly as the Gustard A26 has analog Attenuation setting if needed.
.... interesting that you mention background more than the music .... 🤔

Jan 24, 2024 at 5:28 AM Post #70 of 104
Jan 26, 2024 at 1:36 PM Post #71 of 104
Jan 30, 2024 at 11:02 AM Post #73 of 104
Hello,

I am also very interested in the H26 and I have got some questions. Maybe you can help.

- Does the sound change a lot after warming up?
- How long should you wait? 15 or 30 minutes?
- Which DAC would you use? I need a dimmable display and don't want to spend too much money for the DAC. The 26 is very expensive.
- Could there be noticeable sound improvement in comparison with the Smsl DO400 with a HEK Stealth?
- Is the whole amp dark after dimming the display or are there any lights which are always on?

Feb 1, 2024 at 4:47 PM Post #74 of 104
🎶…where has all the power gone?…🎶
Seriously, after the exuberant announcement of the H26‘s tremendous output power I was expecting to run my headphones only in 1 - 10 volume range…but with my HE6SEv2 I am 'already' at 75 in high-gain – balanced…yes, I have set -6dB pre-amp gain on OS level to have EQ headroom, but in return the DAC is outputting 5V fixed.
Seems like you need to have much higher input voltage to get the advertised figures out of the H26 (probably indicated by the max. 12V input voltage supported on XLR🤔). For comparison the HE6SEv2 on the Questyle Fifteen is only before 12 o‘knob with high bias.

Feb 2, 2024 at 12:15 PM Post #75 of 104
🎶…where has all the power gone?…🎶
Seriously, after the exuberant announcement of the H26‘s tremendous output power I was expecting to run my headphones only in 1 - 10 volume range…but with my HE6SEv2 I am 'already' at 75 in high-gain – balanced…yes, I have set -6dB pre-amp gain on OS level to have EQ headroom, but in return the DAC is outputting 5V fixed.
Seems like you need to have much higher input voltage to get the advertised figures out of the H26 (probably indicated by the max. 12V input voltage supported on XLR🤔). For comparison the HE6SEv2 on the Questyle Fifteen is only before 12 o‘knob with high bias.
Does it drive them well on that volume?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back