microZOTL 3 by Linear Tube Audio. True High End Audio.
Dec 19, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #1,111 of 1,183
I've had a month or so off listening to my system because of work and study commitments. It isn't now wowing me as it once did. Not sure what the issue is. I might try a change of source; from the Pi2AES to something else. Any thoughts?

Dec 19, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #1,112 of 1,183
I've had a month or so off listening to my system because of work and study commitments. It isn't now wowing me as it once did. Not sure what the issue is. I might try a change of source; from the Pi2AES to something else. Any thoughts?
Have you tried other driver tubes?

Dec 19, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #1,113 of 1,183
Dec 19, 2023 at 6:20 PM Post #1,114 of 1,183
PI is terrific, but I think there are lot of streamers that are quieter electrically. The SOtM SMS-200 is lovely and available cheaply, and the Lumin streamers are a big step up from a PI. Innuos and Auralic have truly excellent apps that might be enticing.

Dec 19, 2023 at 9:41 PM Post #1,115 of 1,183
Hi John, It is a DIY mod. There are 3 stickers inside the earpad, 2 shorts and 1 long. It depends on your hearing, some people removed 1, 2 or all stickers. For me, i only removed the longest one.
I’ve heard of this. Very interesting.

I’m interested in another pair of headphones that are detailed and with a wide soundstage. I’m thinking the HD800S might fit the bill, but interested in other ideas if you guys have any.

Dec 19, 2023 at 11:36 PM Post #1,116 of 1,183
I’ve heard of this. Very interesting.

I’m interested in another pair of headphones that are detailed and with a wide soundstage. I’m thinking the HD800S might fit the bill, but interested in other ideas if you guys have any.
You still have the ZMF Auteur right?. Modded, my Auteur sounds as good or better than HD800s except the soundstage. You can check it out if you want to.

Dec 20, 2023 at 8:35 AM Post #1,117 of 1,183
You still have the ZMF Auteur right?. Modded, my Auteur sounds as good or better than HD800s except the soundstage. You can check it out if you want to.
Thanks- Yes, I still have the Auteur OG. I may like them slightly more than my Verite Open, as they have really nice detail in the high frequencies. I think I'm after a wider soundstage. Maybe I'll also ask the LTA guys, as they have a lot of experience with different headphones with the MZ3.

Dec 24, 2023 at 12:57 AM Post #1,118 of 1,183
Hey Guys,
Tube question: For the MZ3, which is going to have a greater influence over the amp sound via tube rolling?
The input tubes (stock 12AT7).....or the output tubes (stock 12SN7)?

Dec 24, 2023 at 12:58 AM Post #1,119 of 1,183
Hey Guys,
Tube question: For the MZ3, which is going to have a greater influence over the amp sound via tube rolling?
Input tubes have the most influence on the sound then the output tubes.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2023 at 1:02 AM Post #1,120 of 1,183
Hey Guys,
I cannot categorise solely by input tube vs output tube. I have found influences from each to be small in some cases, to be large in other cases. To me, it is specifically tube dependent. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Dec 24, 2023 at 11:22 AM Post #1,121 of 1,183
Hey Guys,
I've noticed the most difference with the input/preamp tubes. Currently, I'm using Amperex "Beckman" branded 7062. Just my opinion and we all hear things differently.

Dec 24, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #1,122 of 1,183
Hey Guys,
I think a combination of both input and output tubes. These are the tubes i use on them right now:

MZ3: Emperex 6201 PQ gold pin and 12SN7 TungSol black glass round plate. I found this combination even better than Melz 1578 and GEC A2900.

Dec 24, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #1,124 of 1,183
System plans for next year guys?

For me, next year will be about improving my source and adding additional headphones to the collection.

The MZ3 remains the centerpiece of my system, but I am going to try a few different approaches to getting the audio there.

I am really happy with my Roon server, powered by a Farad super capacitor supply. A Ubiquiti switch and fibre connection gets the data to the Pi2AES. That's the first place to start. I am going to try two streamers next year. The Rose RS130 feeding my Audial S5, and the Ever Solo DMP-A8 feeding the MZ3 directly via its internal flagship AKM converter.

Then there's the DAC. The Audial S5 is excellent. Really. Genuine NOS. But the connectivity options are annoying. No AES in. No RCA Digital Coax in. Currently using an adapter to feed the AudioLab 6000CDT output into the BNC in. Annoying. It does have a very good USB in and I2S in though, so all is not lost. What would I swap it for? I have no idea. I look at it in the rack, and it feels like something I should keep. I may still try other DACs though. I listened to lots at CanJam but nothing really blew me away. Holo May was nice, but I hate the idea of having to upsample to get the best out of it. The Chord products are horrendous to my ears. DCS Bartok was nice. I may look at Lampizator. NOS chips and a nice implementation. Then there is the LTA DAC. Super keen to hear this one, and the synergy should be flawless. They have no track record in making DACs though, and I'd like some reviews before committing.

I often wonder about trying another CDT. Jay's are popular, but seems a bit chavvy to me. The belt driven CEC are a good option. If I can find a UK dealer I'll take one for a whirl.

I have had no luck this year buying headphones. I was hoping to add Caldera, Auteur Classic and Verite Open to the collection, but missed out on every pair that interested me. So annoying. I'll try again next year of course.

I'm happy with tubes, thanks to David, Van and JC. Will continue with the current lineup unless you guys find another killing pairing.

An idea to add a solid state amp to the collection flits across my mind from time to time. I have no idea where to start there though. The Ferrum Oor was disappointing. The ZMF Homage was really nice. I'm not prepared to spend Zahl HM1 money. This will stay on the back-burner for next year.

Lots of words. Sorry. So, to sum up, I'm going to be spending lots of money next year. I am 50 in March though, so why not?

Have a great Christmas, and thanks for all of the support, advice and friendship. It's greatly appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back