microZOTL 3 by Linear Tube Audio. True High End Audio.
Dec 24, 2023 at 2:29 PM Post #1,126 of 1,183
Very happy with my current set up, updated my Gustard R26 DAC with Merason DAC1 and very satisfy. No bells and whistles with the Merason DAC but the sound is so awesome to my ears. Planning to add another amp to my collection, Eric McChanson Headphone Amp from Australia, the UlimatE. Merry Christmas to your all and Happy Listening.

1703446183747.jpeg

PXL_20231109_143535773 (2).jpg

Dec 24, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #1,127 of 1,183
Happy Holidays to you all!

I’m expecting a pair of HD800S to arrive (was supposed to arrive yesterday, but must be delayed with holiday mail backups so now tracking states arrival after Xmas). I’ve had no luck trying to sell my ZMF VO, so I guess I’ll just keep them. They are excellent.

On my list: I’d really like to have a Woo Audio WA22, as I have a good stash of NOS tubes sitting for years doing nothing, and I’d like to put them to work. @VanHai you’ll need to make room on your shelves for that new McChanson amp, so I can drive over and take the WA22 off your hands. Just trying to be a helpful friend.

Dec 24, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #1,128 of 1,183
Very happy with my current set up, updated my Gustard R26 DAC with Merason DAC1 and very satisfy. No bells and whistles with the Merason DAC but the sound is so awesome to my ears. Planning to add another amp to my collection, Eric McChanson Headphone Amp from Australia, the UlimatE. Merry Christmas to your all and Happy Listening.

1703446183747.jpeg

PXL_20231109_143535773 (2).jpg
That’s quite a collection of amps @VanHai !👍 :L3000: :beerchug:

Dec 24, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #1,129 of 1,183
Happy Holidays to you all!

I’m expecting a pair of HD800S to arrive (was supposed to arrive yesterday, but must be delayed with holiday mail backups so now tracking states arrival after Xmas). I’ve had no luck trying to sell my ZMF VO, so I guess I’ll just keep them. They are excellent.

On my list: I’d really like to have a Woo Audio WA22, as I have a good stash of NOS tubes sitting for years doing nothing, and I’d like to put them to work. @VanHai you’ll need to make room on your shelves for that new McChanson amp, so I can drive over and take the WA22 off your hands. Just trying to be a helpful friend.
Ha Ha, anytime my friend. When you receive your HD800S, i let you have an audition with my DNA Sonett 2. It will do wonder to your HD800S, Donald North built the amp based on testing of the HD800S. Set your schedule for the next meet on Feb 24/2024 at Fairfax City Library.

Dec 24, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #1,130 of 1,183
System plans for next year guys?

For me, next year will be about improving my source and adding additional headphones to the collection.

The MZ3 remains the centerpiece of my system, but I am going to try a few different approaches to getting the audio there.

I am really happy with my Roon server, powered by a Farad super capacitor supply. A Ubiquiti switch and fibre connection gets the data to the Pi2AES. That's the first place to start. I am going to try two streamers next year. The Rose RS130 feeding my Audial S5, and the Ever Solo DMP-A8 feeding the MZ3 directly via its internal flagship AKM converter.

Then there's the DAC. The Audial S5 is excellent. Really. Genuine NOS. But the connectivity options are annoying. No AES in. No RCA Digital Coax in. Currently using an adapter to feed the AudioLab 6000CDT output into the BNC in. Annoying. It does have a very good USB in and I2S in though, so all is not lost. What would I swap it for? I have no idea. I look at it in the rack, and it feels like something I should keep. I may still try other DACs though. I listened to lots at CanJam but nothing really blew me away. Holo May was nice, but I hate the idea of having to upsample to get the best out of it. The Chord products are horrendous to my ears. DCS Bartok was nice. I may look at Lampizator. NOS chips and a nice implementation. Then there is the LTA DAC. Super keen to hear this one, and the synergy should be flawless. They have no track record in making DACs though, and I'd like some reviews before committing.

I often wonder about trying another CDT. Jay's are popular, but seems a bit chavvy to me. The belt driven CEC are a good option. If I can find a UK dealer I'll take one for a whirl.

I have had no luck this year buying headphones. I was hoping to add Caldera, Auteur Classic and Verite Open to the collection, but missed out on every pair that interested me. So annoying. I'll try again next year of course.

I'm happy with tubes, thanks to David, Van and JC. Will continue with the current lineup unless you guys find another killing pairing.

An idea to add a solid state amp to the collection flits across my mind from time to time. I have no idea where to start there though. The Ferrum Oor was disappointing. The ZMF Homage was really nice. I'm not prepared to spend Zahl HM1 money. This will stay on the back-burner for next year.

Lots of words. Sorry. So, to sum up, I'm going to be spending lots of money next year. I am 50 in March though, so why not?

Have a great Christmas, and thanks for all of the support, advice and friendship. It's greatly appreciated.
As a heavy CD transport user I can advise that the CEC players need help with isolation and are generally fussy to get their best, which is meaty and substantial sounding, but a bit noisy. I’ve come down on the side of the Moon by Sim Audio transport. It’s a brilliant device.

Dec 24, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #1,131 of 1,183
As a heavy CD transport user I can advise that the CEC players need help with isolation and are generally fussy to get their best, which is meaty and substantial sounding, but a bit noisy. I’ve come down on the side of the Moon by Sim Audio transport. It’s a brilliant device.
Thanks for the feedback Mick. Appreciated.

Dec 24, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #1,133 of 1,183
Hey Guys,
Tube question: For the MZ3, which is going to have a greater influence over the amp sound via tube rolling?
The input tubes (stock 12AT7).....or the output tubes (stock 12SN7)?
Is it day or night?
What phase is the moon in?
How long until the next high tide?
What was the last thing you ate?
What is the temperature and relative humidity of your music room?
What is the barometric pressure and is it rising or falling?
How many of these questions did you try to answer before you realized that I was messing with you?
Or was I? Can these things actually matter?
Go make yourself a mug of tea or something considerably stronger (if you so wish) and ponder these questions while playing some music. Silence kills.

Dec 24, 2023 at 5:24 PM Post #1,134 of 1,183
My CEC TL5 was a pleasure to use, but fell out of favour after an Innuos Zen arrived.the Zen sounded a good deal better. The Moon is on par with the Zen.
Which model?

Dec 24, 2023 at 5:30 PM Post #1,135 of 1,183
System plans for next year guys?

For me, next year will be about improving my source and adding additional headphones to the collection.

The MZ3 remains the centerpiece of my system, but I am going to try a few different approaches to getting the audio there.

I am really happy with my Roon server, powered by a Farad super capacitor supply. A Ubiquiti switch and fibre connection gets the data to the Pi2AES. That's the first place to start. I am going to try two streamers next year. The Rose RS130 feeding my Audial S5, and the Ever Solo DMP-A8 feeding the MZ3 directly via its internal flagship AKM converter.

Then there's the DAC. The Audial S5 is excellent. Really. Genuine NOS. But the connectivity options are annoying. No AES in. No RCA Digital Coax in. Currently using an adapter to feed the AudioLab 6000CDT output into the BNC in. Annoying. It does have a very good USB in and I2S in though, so all is not lost. What would I swap it for? I have no idea. I look at it in the rack, and it feels like something I should keep. I may still try other DACs though. I listened to lots at CanJam but nothing really blew me away. Holo May was nice, but I hate the idea of having to upsample to get the best out of it. The Chord products are horrendous to my ears. DCS Bartok was nice. I may look at Lampizator. NOS chips and a nice implementation. Then there is the LTA DAC. Super keen to hear this one, and the synergy should be flawless. They have no track record in making DACs though, and I'd like some reviews before committing.

I often wonder about trying another CDT. Jay's are popular, but seems a bit chavvy to me. The belt driven CEC are a good option. If I can find a UK dealer I'll take one for a whirl.

I have had no luck this year buying headphones. I was hoping to add Caldera, Auteur Classic and Verite Open to the collection, but missed out on every pair that interested me. So annoying. I'll try again next year of course.

I'm happy with tubes, thanks to David, Van and JC. Will continue with the current lineup unless you guys find another killing pairing.

An idea to add a solid state amp to the collection flits across my mind from time to time. I have no idea where to start there though. The Ferrum Oor was disappointing. The ZMF Homage was really nice. I'm not prepared to spend Zahl HM1 money. This will stay on the back-burner for next year.

Lots of words. Sorry. So, to sum up, I'm going to be spending lots of money next year. I am 50 in March though, so why not?

Have a great Christmas, and thanks for all of the support, advice and friendship. It's greatly appreciated.
For not too much you could find a Beyerdynamic A20 (before the rest of us find them all). Reasonably priced Hi Z (100 ohm) SS amp that just works better with ZMF than you’d think it should. It’ll be a nice complement to the low Z MZ3.

Dec 25, 2023 at 11:06 PM Post #1,137 of 1,183
For not too much you could find a Beyerdynamic A20 (before the rest of us find them all)#. Reasonably priced Hi Z (100 ohm) SS amp that just works better with ZMF than you’d think it should***. It’ll be a nice complement to the low Z MZ3.
# I just purchased a second A20 - new in box, unopened - for $415 USD ‘all-in’. *** not just better, fantastic!!

Feb 2, 2024 at 8:41 AM Post #1,138 of 1,183
Does anyone have experience with planar magnetic headphones with their MZ3? While at the LTA shop last year, I recall listening with (I think, if I recall correctly) a pair of Audeze LCD-4, which were impressive. @jtnt , any input is appreciated!

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2024 at 9:12 AM Post #1,139 of 1,183
Does anyone have experience with planar magnetic headphones with their MZ3? While at the LTA shop last year, I recall listening with (I think, if I recall correctly) a pair of Audeze LCD-4, which were impressive. @jtnt , any input is appreciated!
Good question. I have audeze mm-500 which are uniquely easy to drive. I would like to try something with more soundstage and I’d like to try the Arya Organic but I don’t know how happily an mz3 will drive this hp.

Feb 2, 2024 at 9:13 AM Post #1,140 of 1,183
I thought the LCD 2.2 PF was solid with it.
Empy wasn’t bad either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back