New Schiit Lyr: Hybrid 6W Headphone Amp. Yes. Six. Watts. RMS.
Mar 15, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #556 of 834
Get the MH 25.2/3 then you can use both the optical and the USB interface.  Whatever tickles your fancy.

Mar 15, 2011 at 11:51 AM Post #557 of 834
FWIW, I bought an inexpensive CAD/Amp from maverick Audio to hold me over.  It was a HUGE step up from the sound card in my iMac.  They can be had for just under $200 used or $200+shipping new direct from Maverick.

Mar 15, 2011 at 12:12 PM Post #558 of 834

Quote:
FWIW, I bought an inexpensive CAD/Amp from maverick Audio to hold me over.  It was a HUGE step up from the sound card in my iMac.  They can be had for just under $200 used or $200+shipping new direct from Maverick.

Ok. I think your talking to me but I'm not sure, If I'm wrong please disregard this. But I already have the fiio combo, which IMO has been a great start. I think the e9 is better quality than the e7, and I eventually would like to get the Lyr, but think a dac would be the best choice to upgrade first, something that can be used now with the e9 and then be great with lyr in a little while. The maverick is probably a good upgrade today for me, but if i decide to get a lyr in a month then it might not be the best option. Idk . I'm trying to stay in the price range or the lyr.

Mar 15, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #560 of 834
Yes, the Lyr runs quite hot.  However most of the heat seems well vented and concentrated towards the top.

It does warm up the StageDac some, but not enough to concern me in the least.

eta:  Sometime in the near future I will let it run for several hours and post temperature readings.

Mar 15, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #563 of 834
Quote:
Heat rises.
Doubt it would be a concern for the StageDac. (as in the photo)

Yes, heat rises, thanks.

However, it's my understanding that the Lyr only runs slightly cooler than the Asgard and some of the devices are mounted directly to the bottom of the chassis to aid in cooling.  Have you felt the bottom of the Lyr's chassis after a while of active operation?

Asgard design and heat:  http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/schiit/2.html
Suggests standing Asgard vertically to allow for effective heat dissipation from both top and bottom, with pics: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/schiit/5.html

Mar 15, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #565 of 834
I'm glad 6moons was able to take away from valuable time spent demagnetizing CD's to tell us to turn an amp sideways.  When the amp is turned sidways, does it decrease or increase the soundstage?  What about transparency?  What interconnects have the best synergy with an amp turned on it's side? 

Mar 15, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #566 of 834
Quote:
I'm glad 6moons was able to take away from valuable time spent demagnetizing CD's to tell us to turn an amp sideways.  When the amp is turned sidways, does it decrease or increase the soundstage?  What about transparency?  What interconnects have the best synergy with an amp turned on it's side? 

If it had a digital volume control then maybe they'd tell us that the odd numbers sounded better.

Mar 16, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #568 of 834

Quote:
Jason,

if you're out there, is there ANY news on the DAC. 

C'mon...just a hint. 

Tease us!

Okay, to tease:

1. Don't think "DAC." Think, "DACs."
2. Think, entry-level to start. Think summer.
3. Think, even our reference stuff will start in 3-digit pricing.
4. Think, balanced.
5. Consider future-proof, and what that means in the context of USB.
6. Also consider there will be other inputs.
7. Think discrete.
8. Finally, consider Mike's history, his filters/jitter reduction/interface innovation/etc . . .

Enough teasing?

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 16, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #570 of 834
Quote:

I believe turning it sideways will also give you a more creamy, chocolate-y sound as well ...
wink.gif

74.5 C = 166 F ... toasty!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back