New Schiit Lyr: Hybrid 6W Headphone Amp. Yes. Six. Watts. RMS.
Mar 14, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #541 of 834
I don't have a Lyr yet, but am pre-ordered (kind of) and I am very much looking forward to comparing how the K1000 as well as the HE-6 sound out of it compared to the 45 wpc speaker amp I am using with them now. I am also really looking forward to trying my LCD-2 and AD2000 out of the Lyr. I will be using it with my Bel Canto DAC2, and I have a feeling the two will match up quite well.

Btw, if everyone has not figured it out yet, Allen wrench = hex key 
smily_headphones1.gif

Major kudos to Jason for being so responsive and sending one right out!

Mar 14, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #542 of 834

Quote:
By using a mini toslink adapter? How would that be good quality if it goes into the headphone jack? And what do you think is a good dac then just for computer use I don't really want to spend more on anything I really won't be using. Thanks for your help. Can anyone else offer an opinion?

I just ordered the V-DAC. I can't speak of its quality yet, as I have not received it, but I have read good things considering its price at $300 which seems reasonable. I am also going to be ordering the Audio-GD NFB-2, but it seems the wait on those is a few months. I found the V-DAC for $250 used, which is even better, and I will likely sell it when my NFB-2 comes in, or move it downstairs if I decide to stick with the 2 channel system there too.

I am confused about why you would not need a good DAC for your computer. If you are using it as your music source than it is very important.

Mar 15, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #543 of 834

Quote:

I just ordered the V-DAC. I can't speak of its quality yet, as I have not received it, but I have read good things considering its price at $300 which seems reasonable. I am also going to be ordering the Audio-GD NFB-2, but it seems the wait on those is a few months. I found the V-DAC for $250 used, which is even better, and I will likely sell it when my NFB-2 comes in, or move it downstairs if I decide to stick with the 2 channel system there too.

I am confused about why you would not need a good DAC for your computer. If you are using it as your music source than it is very important.

Because I only use my iMac or Macbook for music listening. I have a decent computer speaker system that is plenty and have the fiio e7/e9 as my current set up. I wanted to upgrade the e7 first and get a decent dac to use with the e9 for now, then eventually get the lyr. I dont understand what you mean "not needing a good dac". I want a good dac comparable to say the lyr in price. I'm looking for the best possible dac in that price range only need to to run out of a mac. I have no intention of using any other components for the dac. I'm trying to keep things simple as possible. I thought the Music Streamer II+ would be a great option since every review i've read has been stellar, it's in my price range, I've seen at least 2 or 3 people use it successfully with the lyr, and its as simple of a dac as it can get? Am i wrong here? Really need multiple opinions on this one guys.

Mar 15, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #544 of 834

Quote:
By using a mini toslink adapter? How would that be good quality if it goes into the headphone jack? And what do you think is a good dac then just for computer use I don't really want to spend more on anything I really won't be using. Thanks for your help. Can anyone else offer an opinion?

Mini toslink is just a different form factor.  Not sure why you are stressing about the quality difference, there is none.

Mar 15, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #545 of 834
I think there may have been some communication issues. So for now you plan to continue using your Fiio's amp section but bypass its DAC feature, if I understand you correctly. if the Music Streamer is in your price range, then you should consider it. My only concern would be from something I read about in in another thread talking about an OSX issue.

Quote:
Another update - I think I have a handle on this now. The HRT is definitely more transparent, has a stronger sense of "room" or acoustic space, has a little deeper bass, has a more perceptible dimensionality to individual instruments and a more even tonal balance. The Duet is warmer with a more forward midrange, but the soundstage and transparency is worse. There is also something odd in the tonal balance I can't quite put my finger on.

While the mids are somewhat seductive at first listen on the Duet, it is pretty clear to me at this point that the HRT is probably a lot more accurate and is equally musical (or more so) in a different way.

However, one rather significant issue on a Mac - there is apparently a bug in how OS X handles 88.2 KHz on asynch USB connections and my unit glitches while playing 88.2 files. I received an email from Kevin saying a newer firmware had a workaround, but the brand new unit I got can't be flashed but needs a replacement chip (it is socketed). I am waiting on a reply to confirm he is sending me a newer firmware chip.

I think it is very hard to go wrong with this thing at $350. I also ordered a WireWorld Starlite 1/2 M USB cable to try.

Mar 15, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #546 of 834

Quote:

Mini toslink is just a different form factor.  Not sure why you are stressing about the quality difference, there is none.

Im confused. Using optical out from a mac you need a toslink adapter correct? I'm just asking how that would be better quality usb to the dac.

Mar 15, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #547 of 834

Quote:
I think there may have been some communication issues. So for now you plan to continue using your Fiio's amp section but bypass its DAC feature, if I understand you correctly. if the Music Streamer is in your price range, then you should consider it. My only concern would be from something I read about in in another thread talking about an OSX issue.

Yes. I plan to use the e9 with say the MSII+ until I would get a Lyr. The e7 would still come in handy as a dac for my computer at work or with my ipod and my M50's. I read that OSX issue and really don't know, I heard the MSII+ works remarkably with Macs. This review was done with a Mac and a streamer +:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/streamer/streamer+_2.html

Mar 15, 2011 at 1:30 AM Post #548 of 834
The one mention of the OSX problem I read said the new ones have been fixed. So unless you buy used, which I sometimes do, I don't see that being a problem. I have reviews from people who thing optical sounds better than USB, and other people who believe the opposite, so I don't think it really matter. the only thing I know for sure it USB normally does not accommodate as high of a bit rate as optical, not that you will notice that either.

As for needing an adapter for the optical, yes you will. The only thing about that is, it only changes the shape of the cable, and has zero affect on the quality. It is a digital signal. I have never been one to believe that you need expensive digital cables, because it doesn't seem logical that it could be degrades. It is similar to how I have a $20 HDMI cable plugged into my Pioneer Elite TV.

Mar 15, 2011 at 7:57 AM Post #549 of 834
 Ok. I just thought it wouldn't be as great of quality using an adapter, but that just my simple thinking as I have no knowledge whatsoever in that regard. Can anyone else chime in? I'm still leaning towards the MSII+ to eventually go with the Lyr, but I still would like to hear other opinions. I want to spend my money wisely of course, and stay around the price range of the Lyr, only needing the dac for either my iMac or macbook.

Mar 15, 2011 at 9:48 AM Post #550 of 834
To be clear about Mac's optical out...there is an optical connection at the bottom of the HP jack...the adapter is not doing anything bu allowing the toslink terminus to mate to the light at the bottom of the 1/8" jack shape...it's not taking some sort of electrical signal from the HP jack and somehow converting it to optical.

Not sure if that's what you were thinking...just wanted to clarify for anyone else who was reading as well.

Mar 15, 2011 at 9:55 AM Post #551 of 834
Jason,

if you're out there, is there ANY news on the DAC. 

C'mon...just a hint. 

Tease us!

Mar 15, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #552 of 834
Yes, I also want to know more. I ordered a used V-DAC a day ago, as i said a few posts up, but am thinking of ordering a NFB-2 in the next day or so. If I new this was coming out in say the next 6-12 months for a price between lets say $400-$1000, I would wait. Also if it has balanced outs, to match up with their next amp. Maybe I am asking for too much information.

Mar 15, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #554 of 834

Quote:
Haaahahahah! Brilliant! I'm glad you didn't JB Weld that thing.
biggrin.gif

Yeah, but your name has to be Allen to use the wrench or you might be hexxed.

Mar 15, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #555 of 834

Quote:
To be clear about Mac's optical out...there is an optical connection at the bottom of the HP jack...the adapter is not doing anything bu allowing the toslink terminus to mate to the light at the bottom of the 1/8" jack shape...it's not taking some sort of electrical signal from the HP jack and somehow converting it to optical.

Not sure if that's what you were thinking...just wanted to clarify for anyone else who was reading as well.

Yeah thanks I looked it up and now understand how it works. My simple thought process was how would using  an adapter for optical be a better connection that just a usb dac. But seeing how it works clarifies it more for me a little bit. After searching the forum I see that some prefer to use optical and some prefer usb to their dac using a mac. I don't know what the most optimal solution is yet or what dac would be a worthy performer with the lyr and exclusively be used from one of my macs. I wish there was a schiit dac out now lol, probably would make it a lot easier for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back