Schiit Hits the Fan! Valhalla 2, Lyr 2 announced, Wyrd and Mani Previewed.
Jun 3, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #61 of 224
  Reading the specs page, Lyr 2 actually has an output impedance of 0.3 ohms, would this make it an even better potential mate for IEM's than Valhalla 2?

Also, how much do the tubes color the sound? One big appeal of solid-state IMO is the lack of tube sound coloring, a more neutral and reference sound signature, which is why I've been eyeing the Asgard 2 (output impedance is listed only as 'less than 2 ohms')

Output impedance ain't the problem with Lyr. What you got to watch out is the noise floor, which I believe is lower on the Asgard, thus making it a better choice if you use mainly IEMs (though I don't get why you would use IEM with a desktop amp in the first place).

Jun 3, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #62 of 224
  Output impedance ain't the problem with Lyr. What you got to watch out is the noise floor, which I believe is lower on the Asgard, thus making it a better choice if you use mainly IEMs (though I don't get why you would use IEM with a desktop amp in the first place).

I'm probably inexperienced, but I had thought output impedance was the prime concern when dealing with sensitive headphones, and I'm not sure how you'd figure out the noise floor without actually listening to both amps

As for IEM's with a desktop amp, I live in an apartment on a busy intersection, and sometimes I'll have various household appliances running simultaneously as well. My HD 650's can't exactly block that noise out, so I'd love to be able to simply unplug them from an amp, switch the gain, plug my IEM's in, and continue listening 

Jun 3, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #63 of 224

Sometimes your IEMs are better than your full size headphones. I know mine can be.

Jun 3, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #64 of 224

I agree with people who use iems with desktop are... maybe a tad crazier than I am 

non the less, the Lyr 2 is quieter and has a better impedance matching so it should work for anything

wish they'd sell a balanced lyr for around $600  

Jun 4, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #65 of 224
  I'm probably inexperienced, but I had thought output impedance was the prime concern when dealing with sensitive headphones, and I'm not sure how you'd figure out the noise floor without actually listening to both amps

As for IEM's with a desktop amp, I live in an apartment on a busy intersection, and sometimes I'll have various household appliances running simultaneously as well. My HD 650's can't exactly block that noise out, so I'd love to be able to simply unplug them from an amp, switch the gain, plug my IEM's in, and continue listening 

Output impedance is a problem with low impedance headphone, as it limits the current output, cause serious distortion around the resonant frequency (most of the time bass level) and limits the general control the amp has over the driver (damping factor). It ain't directly related to sensitivity as you seem to think it is. As for noise, you can always look at SNR to give you an idea, but as you said, the best way is to try out your IEMs with said amp and find out if you can hear the noise floor or not with them.

Simply remember, sensitivity =/= impedance.

Cheers

Jun 4, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #66 of 224
  Output impedance is a problem with low impedance headphone, as it limits the current output, cause serious distortion around the resonant frequency (most of the time bass level) and limits the general control the amp has over the driver (damping factor). It ain't directly related to sensitivity as you seem to think it is. As for noise, you can always look at SNR to give you an idea, but as you said, the best way is to try out your IEMs with said amp and find out if you can hear the noise floor or not with them.

Simply remember, sensitivity =/= impedance.

Cheers

very good point, my HE 4 has low impdeance, and LOW sensitivity 

Jun 4, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #67 of 224

My thoughts exactly. Why on earth would anyone want to use IEMs at home, on a desktop system? It doesn't make sense to me...

Best.

Jun 4, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #68 of 224
  My thoughts exactly. Why on earth would anyone want to use IEMs at home, on a desktop system? It doesn't make sense to me...

To isolate the wife's screaming? 
biggrin.gif

Jun 4, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #71 of 224
Just got the Lyr 2 today, and using it to run my beyerdynamic dt 880 600ohm phones. This is my first time with a tube amp will let you know my impressions. I have listened to frank zappa's Joes garage and some old resident cd and the sound is amazing.

Jun 4, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #72 of 224
Just got the Lyr 2 today, and using it to run my beyerdynamic dt 880 600ohm phones. This is my first time with a tube amp will let you know my impressions. I have listened to frank zappa's Joes garage and some old resident cd and the sound is amazing.

Dayum...that was fast. Looking forward to your impressions.

Jun 4, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #73 of 224
Joe's Garage is some good stuff! Gotta love the Central Scutinizer.

I've got an Asgard 2 right now, but would like to grab a tube amp as well without breaking the bank. I was thinking about building a BH Crack, but now I have to seriously consider the Valhalla 2 or Lyr 2. I like the fact that both now have the pre-amp out connections.

Jun 4, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #74 of 224

I've got an Asgard 2 right now, but would like to grab a tube amp as well without breaking the bank. 

Project Ember by Garage1217 is usually highly regarded.
and your tube rolling need not get expensive since Ember doesn't use matched pairs.

Jun 5, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #75 of 224
The Ember's design isn't as solid as the Lyr. It doesn't give full plate voltage to tubes which can introduce higher order distortion along with other problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back