Schiit's Saga Preamp Impressions
Jan 20, 2019 at 6:25 PM Post #151 of 191
What height should I allow for the Saga in my rack? I have about 4.75". I understand it depends on the tube height but will the 4.75" work with most? It will be well ventilated around the sides and back as well.

Thanks.

Jan 20, 2019 at 7:33 PM Post #153 of 191
Thanks for the input! Yeah, I'd just need a high range and low range. I can't put it on top of the rack as I have a turntable there and moving it elsewhere would mean major cable changes to accommodate the extra needed lengths.

Feb 4, 2019 at 7:32 PM Post #155 of 191
Currently listening with this 1960 Sylvania tall bottle 6SN7GTA installed in the Saga. It's within 2% of perfect balance between the two triodes, and strong enough that it's almost certainly new in box - truly new old stock. I've not compared it back to back with the RCA 7N7 yet but I think my favorite of the bunch so far. I won't try to describe what I'm hearing other than to say that treble is affected in a very pleasant manner.

I just added an EITR between my PC and the Modi Multibit, a discernible difference between the coax S/PDIF output on my C-Media sound card and the coax out on the Eitr. This has made it a bit easier to discern the changes imparted from using the tube buffer in the Saga. Still quite subtle but more noticeable differences.

Oh, and I have a Lyr 3 on the way to replace my Jotunheim. By every description the Lyr 3 should be a better fit for my preferences. Good times! :)

V7CJIgX.jpg

w8scJoB.jpg

The box and tube are both exceptionally clean. The silkscreened logo on the base is 100% intact and the glass is free of any wear. Pretty, yes? :)

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2019 at 3:22 AM Post #156 of 191
What height should I allow for the Saga in my rack? I have about 4.75". I understand it depends on the tube height but will the 4.75" work with most? It will be well ventilated around the sides and back as well.

Thanks.

I missed your ask for a low range. Lowest clearance would be 2-3/8" (this, only if using a Schiit LISST solid state octal 'tube'). Believe it or not the Saga sounds great with a LISST, which essentially results in a very clean solid state buffer that is really very difficult to distinguish from passive mode. I bought my Saga used and it came only with an octal LISST - no tube. I just finished evaluating it verses several favorite 6SN7 tubes and it holds its own.

Something I hadn't considered when I posted my last response to your querry....

The Saga will fit within the max 4.75" clearance your rack with the vast majority of available compatible tubes but swapping tubes will almost certainly require pulling the Saga forward until the tube socket is forward of the shelf above, so some slack should be left for the power cable and interconnects to accommodate if necessary. Once a tube is installed though there should be no clearance issues - with the following exceptions:

* The Psvane 6SN7 variants (Their WE6SN7Plus, CV181-TII, 6SN7-UK , and Treasure Globe 6SN7-SE) are likely to be too tall to clear the 4.75" clearance limit.
* Tall bottle 6SN7's will likely run into clearance issues if used in conjunction with a 'socket saver'.
* Likewise, tall bottle 7N7's, which require a conversion socket will very likely to not meet your clearance limitation. Socket savers and conversion sockets are generally as tall as, or taller than, a tubes socket base.

Fortunately the above list excludes just four specific tubes, a somewhat rare form factor 7N7 (due to the necessary conversion socket), and a less common form factor 6SN7 only if you choose to use a 'socket saver' in the Saga (this device is a riser that allows for frequent tube changes without causing wear to the amplifiers tube socket). The vast magority of the vintage tubes and current production tubes in a Saga will clear 4.75" without issue.

The decidedly boutique Psvane tubes are very expensive and have resulted in mixed reviews so no loss here. There are so many great choices in NOS vintage tubes that One need never consider the Psvane tubes. Vintage tubes can be quite dependable so long as one limits their vintage tube purchases to sellers who have a reputation for properly testing the tubes they sell, a good return policy for DOA or faulty tubes, and overwhelming positive feedback. This has been my practice over the years and It has consistently served me well.

There's only one tall bottle 7N7 worth the additional cost of a quality 7N7 to 6SN7 converter (search the term 'frankentube' in the Lyr 3 tube rolling thread for more information. I'll have a couple of these on hand later this week. I'll post the total height (Saga + converter + frankentube) so that you'll know whether or not it's even worth shopping for one. I also have a socket saver on the way for use in the Lyr 3 while I try out my 6SN7/7N7, 6N8S tube stock. when the socket saver arrives I'll measure the total height of the Saga +socket saver + tall bottle 6SN7 and post this result as well.

Finally, the new production Russian made Tungsol 6SN7GT reissue tubes (offered by Schiit Audio as an option when purchasing a Saga, Freya, or Lyr 3) are a great choice, and a good number of Saga, Freya, and Lyr 3 users feel that the stock tube that ships with these components, the NOS Russian made 6N8S, perform very well.

Feb 5, 2019 at 9:16 AM Post #157 of 191
I found the new Russian made Tung Sol 6SN7GTB that Schiit charges an extra $25 for to have a very warm midrange. I prefer the sound quality of NOS 1940 to 1960 vintage tubes. The Sylvania 6SN7GT "Bad Boys" made from 1951 to 1953 can be had for about $70, there is no difference in sound quality between the two and three rivet hole rivet plate types (I have both.) The best tube I have tried in my Saga is the 1940s Tung Sol 6SN7GT with round plates and micas. Expensive at about $200 but worth it. Getting very scarce though.

Mar 6, 2019 at 6:29 PM Post #159 of 191
I wanted to add my experience with the Saga. First off this is just my impression. Many of you seem happy with the saga, not trying to take anything away from what. It was partly why I thought I'd give it a try in the first place. :) Also I am very happy with my Vali 2. This just for measure.

I tried the Saga in my setup. I ran it with the stock tubes and I must say - I was disappointed. At first I thought that it might need more burn in - I think I gave it a good 15 more hours at least before I started listening in earnest again (family: why is the music playing when you are not listening?) .

I sent it back. I thought it lacked resolution, detail and timbre in comparison to my standard pre (A Funk Studio Pre). I did hear the difference with the tube in the mix, yet it just gave a little more straightforwardness. Not "tuby" by any means (I only mean the "good" type of tuby of course).

Tbh I even preferred the Vali 2 in comparison as a pre. It lacks even more in resolution and detail, yet it yields a nice holographic image, something that is a ton of fun to listen to for a couple of tracks.

Maybe it wasn't a good match. Would have loved to hear the saga with my monos, but they are currently in repair and return window was closing. Just as a means of assesement - I ran it with a nice Linn LK140. It sounds great for it's age with my Funk Pre.

One question: the volume pot on your sagas: doesn't it fully mute music as well if turned all the way down?

Mar 6, 2019 at 6:54 PM Post #160 of 191
The Saga volume control doesn't got to 0. There is a mute switch. In passive mode it is only putting two resistors between your source and your amp. If you are using cables from the Saga to your AMP that are longer than 10 feet or have very high capacitance it may roll off the highs a little. If you are using an amp with a very low input impedance (less than 10K) it may roll off the lows by a barely perceptible amount using the tube buffer. It can't lack timbre. That's like saying it lacked frequency. Even wrong timbre is timbre. This might get me banned but I am tired of this place anyway. When you put a two resistors in line with your amp and you are not using come crazy high capacitance cable, any differences you hear in detail and resolution are purely imaginary, mostly caused by unimpressive looks or price. Let the angry howls begin.

Mar 7, 2019 at 2:22 AM Post #161 of 191
Timbre is just a synonym for the right tonality in the music for me, the way the instruments are presented. Also I am neither an expert on these things nor a native english speaker. Ist vielleicht gar nicht so gemeint gewesen wie es falsch rüber gekommen ist... :) All I can do is describe my impressions. My Funk is a studio device with a reputation for linearity. I actually inherited it from a friend of mine who is a Tonmeister. It doesn't add sound or anything. It's virtues are audible to my ears. Detailed, precise sound. It's "timbre" (to keep using the word in "my sense") can be characterized in that way that I can hear instruments and their particular sound clearly. The SAGA could not live up to that. So I sent it back.

It's not the first time someone with a better expertise tells me something I hear doesn't make sense technically. That's fine and I'll certainly not howl about it lol. It's my hobby, my ears, my preferences. Personally I turn to forums to read and exchange opinions - that's why I added my experience with the SAGA. I always appreciate opinions by both people with expertise and people who just describe what they hear. Take my contribution to this topic from the ladder category. :wink:

Apr 9, 2019 at 2:13 PM Post #164 of 191
If you are using an amp with a very low input impedance (less than 10K) it may roll off the lows by a barely perceptible amount using the tube buffer. .

Can you explain why this is, how this works? I recently compared the Saga (both with tube active and not active) against an older NAD pre-amp I have, and I have to say I was enjoying the NAD pre-amp more and I don't know why... but it did sound fuller and I'm wondering if it's because some of the low end was being rolled off with the Saga. Again, I don't know why, just trying to figure it out.

Thanks

Apr 11, 2019 at 5:08 PM Post #165 of 191
I also tried Saga when it first came out and ended up returning it after 2 weeks. Just didn’t sound as good to me as my setup at the time. I am now using a pair of class A monoblocks and am tempted to give it another shot. But that damn clicking volume knob drove me nuts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back