Schiit's Saga Preamp Impressions
Jul 7, 2017 at 3:16 AM Post #62 of 191
Saga improved the Bifrost DAC resolution in my case though. I'm suspecting impedance mismatch
That could be it - guessing not much I can do about it. The Geithain are quoted at >/= 10 kOhm.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #63 of 191
Just got a Saga in order to add a sub to a Dangerous Convert-2 dac (with a pair of Geithain RL906 active speakers) - the Convert only has one stereo pair of analog outs. Unfortunately adding the Saga majorly degrades the resolution through the Geithains. The only positive I've found so far is in some pop music - the sound is more mid-rangey so the vocals become more prominent in a pleasant way. Plus the reduction in detail means music is easier to listen to as my brain has less to process, albeit everything sounds far less natural. Pity I mostly go for lifelike sound and only listen to a minority of pop. Still, not a total waste of money, and as they say, "nothing ventured ...".
You bought a preamp to use as a y cable? I am not sure why I would do that. Seems to me that if a device that can be used as a completely passive volume control is "majorly" degrading your sound, something is broken.

Jul 7, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #64 of 191
Just got a Saga in order to add a sub to a Dangerous Convert-2 dac (with a pair of Geithain RL906 active speakers) - the Convert only has one stereo pair of analog outs. Unfortunately adding the Saga majorly degrades the resolution through the Geithains. The only positive I've found so far is in some pop music - the sound is more mid-rangey so the vocals become more prominent in a pleasant way. Plus the reduction in detail means music is easier to listen to as my brain has less to process, albeit everything sounds far less natural. Pity I mostly go for lifelike sound and only listen to a minority of pop. Still, not a total waste of money, and as they say, "nothing ventured ...".
Help us out here.....does it degrade sound with and without tube buffer? Or just tube? Have you swapped cables (rca) out? Tube buffer does a little to warm sound for me but little else. Nothing in my Saga degrades sound. :ave you contacted Schiit for help?

Jul 7, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #65 of 191

I'm curious as to how you have your Dangerous Convert-2 connected to the Saga. Having never heard of your DAC, I looked it up, and the only analog connections I see are XLR:

DangerousConvert2.jpg

The Saga only has RCA connections ... not XLR. Are you using some type of converter? Are you sure that you're using a Schiit Saga, and not some other product called a Saga made by someone other than Schiit?

Jul 7, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #66 of 191
Help us out here.....does it degrade sound with and without tube buffer? Or just tube? Have you swapped cables (rca) out? Tube buffer does a little to warm sound for me but little else. Nothing in my Saga degrades sound. :ave you contacted Schiit for help?
Sound degraded without tube. Have not yet swapped rca out cables - will do so after new cables arrive to connect Convert-2 to Saga (Morgami Gold XLR female to RCA male from B & H). Have not contacted Schmitt but will do so after new cables tryout if the problem is still there. Will report back. Thanks to everyone with their comments and suggestions

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #67 of 191
I'm curious as to how you have your Dangerous Convert-2 connected to the Saga. Having never heard of your DAC, I looked it up, and the only analog connections I see are XLR:

The Saga only has RCA connections ... not XLR. Are you using some type of converter? Are you sure that you're using a Schiit Saga, and not some other product called a Saga made by someone other than Schiit?
Was using xlr to rca adapters on XLR cables. Am awaiting new cables already fitted with the correct fittings. Was using adapters on speakers cables too as speakers only have xlr/trs inputs. Do have a much longer rca/xlr pair of good speaker cables which I haven't tried because of recommendation that the shorter the better - but I will try them to see if it helps. Definitely a Schiit.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #68 of 191
You bought a preamp to use as a y cable? I am not sure why I would do that. Seems to me that if a device that can be used as a completely passive volume control is "majorly" degrading your sound, something is broken.
The Convert-2 is not level matched so at very low volumes sound only comes out of the right hand speaker. So the idea was to bypass its volume control and use the Saga for that and also then be able to use my sub which is just sitting in my music room taking up space - the main reason for getting the Saga as the lack of level matching is a very minor issue. I thought my only other option was to buy a new dac with 2 pairs of analog outs, but I wanted to try to save a lot of money by buying the Saga.

Guess I should have tried a splitter. Thanks for the idea. Silly me. And probably should have asked the dac manufacturer for their suggestions. Oh well, I might do that now - will report back.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2017 at 8:00 PM Post #69 of 191
I just got my Saga, in black! I had been waiting for the black version to be offered, and patience is a virtue as they say. It looks and sounds great and fits the functionality I needed. I'll try some tube rolling in the future, but couldn't be happier now.

Jul 21, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #71 of 191
Sigh. My Luxman preamp has taken zee shiit so I am using an old NAD 320BEE as the preamp front end. I suppose I will need to purchase a Saga for preamp duties one of these days. I am using a Luxman amp as well (5M21). It is nice, but old. Meters are pretty though. Maybe I need a Vidar as well.

Oct 5, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #74 of 191
I will appercaite to know if my phono sound will be improve if i will add saga to my phono chain as follow:

Turntable to mani to saga to reciever yamaha rxa 3060
I expect it won't change much since you're still going through the preamp section of the integrated amp. I suppose in tube buffer mode you can get some tube sound in there, but Saga is really meant to go in front of a power amp that has no volume control and one pair of RCA inputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back