Shanling EH3 - Desktop DAC/AMP with Wi-Fi, USB Drive Playback and Flagship ESS ES9039PRO DAC
Jan 6, 2024 at 5:09 AM Post #196 of 264
Hi,

Well well well...

Since 2/3 days I am FINALLY enjoying the EH-3 to it's full potential.
I have bought a headphone that is less bassy and so needs no EQ.
It is the Austrian Audio Hi-X60 (closed back).
It sounds absolutely stunning even with no EQ (personal taste of course...).

As such I can use the EH-3 nicely...

Thanks for your attention :)

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2024 at 12:14 PM Post #197 of 264
Hi,

Now that I can finally use the EH-3 and take benefit from it's wonderful sound, here are some suggestions to improve the Eddict experience. If at some point the "software team" would consider adding those features it would be fantastic...

1°) STOP PLAYING AT THE END OF PLAYLIST
Currently, if I launch a song in a folder, the entire folder is added to the playlist.
And that is OK for me (might not be for others but it is for me...).
And the playlist shows ONLY the tracks from that album. And that is exactly what is expected.
The problem is, at the end of the "playlist" Eddict automatically skips to the next available track from the next available folder.
Having a continuous playback is OK...
Having NO OPTION to limit the playback to the playlist is less OK I think...
If I want to listen to just one album and then select another, I should be able to do it.
ALL other music players add the folder to the playlist and stop playback at the end of that playlist.
So I am sure it would be possible to do the same in Eddict.

2°) HAVING A WIDGET
It would be a really GREAT improvement on usability of Eddict to have a widget.
Currently, if I launch playback and then use my phone for something else and want to stop/pause/resume playback, I have to launch Eddict again.
And if I do not launch it from the "Recent apps" but launch it again, I have to go in "Synclink" again, connect to the EH-3 and then I am able to do it.
Almost all other apps have a widget or are tagged as music players. And so I can just see the drop-down menu and pause/stop/resume the playback from there.

3°) SORT BY DISC AUTOMATICALLY
It can happen, and sometimes quite often (especially if listening to live music, classical music or concept albums) that the whole tracks are spread over 2/3/4 discs.
Meta tags can distinguish those by Disc number.
So if that tag is handled by the software, you have :
- CD1 Track 1 => CD1 Track 2 => CD1 Track 3...
When that tag is not handled you have :
- CD1 Track 1 => CD2 Track 1 => CD3 Track 1...
There can be a workaround for this and that would be to rename all files... or have them in different CD folders...
But that adds quite a lot of work when most other music players can do it automatically.

Those are the 3 real "urgent" modifications that I think should be added to Eddict...
Even though I am not a developer, I think that the first one should not be too difficult to implement...
The second one should not be too difficult either I think.
The third one might be less trivial...

What do other people think ?
What does Shanling think ?
Does it sound like something feasible ?

Regards.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 11:24 PM Post #198 of 264
Hi,

Just in case someone from Shanling still reads this, I think there is no way to create a playlist on Eddict.
That would be maybe an alternative to Eddict skipping to next folder once the current folder is played.
But creating a playlist simply does not work...

Jan 14, 2024 at 8:38 PM Post #199 of 264
Hi,

Just in case someone from Shanling still reads this, I think there is no way to create a playlist on Eddict.
That would be maybe an alternative to Eddict skipping to next folder once the current folder is played.
But creating a playlist simply does not work...
Yes, we read all the posts here.

SyncLink function at this time doesn't support playlists at all, apparently some issue with the app being unable to remotely create it on the device.

Hi,

Now that I can finally use the EH-3 and take benefit from it's wonderful sound, here are some suggestions to improve the Eddict experience. If at some point the "software team" would consider adding those features it would be fantastic...

1°) STOP PLAYING AT THE END OF PLAYLIST
The problem is, at the end of the "playlist" Eddict automatically skips to the next available track from the next available folder.

2°) HAVING A WIDGET
It would be a really GREAT improvement on usability of Eddict to have a widget.
Currently, if I launch playback and then use my phone for something else and want to stop/pause/resume playback, I have to launch Eddict again.
And if I do not launch it from the "Recent apps" but launch it again, I have to go in "Synclink" again, connect to the EH-3 and then I am able to do it.
Almost all other apps have a widget or are tagged as music players. And so I can just see the drop-down menu and pause/stop/resume the playback from there.

3°) SORT BY DISC AUTOMATICALLY
It can happen, and sometimes quite often (especially if listening to live music, classical music or concept albums) that the whole tracks are spread over 2/3/4 discs.
Meta tags can distinguish those by Disc number.
So if that tag is handled by the software, you have :
- CD1 Track 1 => CD1 Track 2 => CD1 Track 3...
When that tag is not handled you have :
- CD1 Track 1 => CD2 Track 1 => CD3 Track 1...
There can be a workaround for this and that would be to rename all files... or have them in different CD folders...
But that adds quite a lot of work when most other music players can do it automatically.

1) Folder skip switch is available on our other MTouch devices and we repeatedly asked software team to add it.

2) It's recommended to keep the Eddict player running, so it stays connected to the device over SyncLink. Then you can simply switch to it in multitasking menu.
Widget would be good addition, but wouldn't affect your issue.

3) EH3 sorts discs correctly when you use tag based browsing. Folder browsing doesn't offer any support for that. If you wish to use folder browsing you need to have your files named correctly.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jan 14, 2024 at 11:41 PM Post #200 of 264
Hi,

Thanks for your answers.

So, here's what I can consider :

1°) Eddict with SyncLink does not support playlists
That is duly noted.
I think every user of Eddict should be aware of this.
What is confusing is, that when I start Synclink and go back to main page, some choices are not functional : NAS is not functional...
But Playlist button is functional.
You can even hit the "Add" button and enter your playlists name...
To then make the statement : NOTHING...

2°) Software team deliberatly ignore your/our requests to add a trivial feature
If that feature exists on your other devices, I am entitled to consider it trivial to add to the EH-3 and Eddict.
I am sorry, you are not the culprit.
But this kind of answer just gives the impression that Shanling does not give a s**t about it's customers.

3°) There will be no widget for Eddict that could compensate it'sinstability
I think I am not the only one complaining about how unstable Eddict is.
Me, I would just be happy if it could maintain the connection to the EH-3 reliably.
But the thing is : if I run Eddict in the background for some time, it just keeps loosing connection to the EH-3.
So I need to Synclink it again before I can control the EH-3 with Eddict.
EVEN THOUGH IT RUNS IN THE BACKGROUND.
So when I call it to the foregound, it just displays an empty page (the one with the Vinyl needle).
PLEASE NOTE : I have, of course, set power settings to "No restriction to battery usage in the background". So do not suggest that...

4°) You can claim that Eddict supports "Disk" tag ? How...
It is marvelous to know that Eddict should support the Disk tag (we're not talking about the Album tag).
That is an addition to the latest versions and it is a welcome one.
BUT : I am SURE you are aware that there is room for much improvement.
Here is a suggestion :
- I have an album called "Live from Royal Albert Hall" from Artist Lorrena McKENNITT ;
- I have an album called "Live from Royal Albert Hall" from Artist Arctic Monkeys ;
- I have an album called "Live from Royal Albert Hall" from Artist echo and the Bunnymen.

I browse my music through Artists. I choose to listen to Loreena McKENNIT.
I am taken to a page where her Albums show up (which is a really pleasing upgrade to previous result, which presentend all trac by that artist as I mentioned before. Weird you do not list that in the fixes from the log).
I decide to listen to her "Live at Royal Albert Hall".
What do I see ? All tracks from all three artists : Loreena McKennit, Arctic Monkeys and Echo and the Bunnymen...

So maybe an enhancement where the result would be sorted by Artist/Album and not only "Album name" whatever the artist ?

PLEASE UNDERSTAND : I am here to try to help your brand to improve the software to have an experience that is on par with your sound.
I just get a little "agressive" when I get answers like : "1) Folder skip switch is available on our other MTouch devices and we repeatedly asked software team to add it."
In other words : 1°) It is trivial to add as it already exists on other devices/specific Eddict versions ; 2°) I have no power on decisions made by software team composed of engineers that probably not even listen to music and for sure do not use their own app and just test it 5 seconds and call it done ; 3°) the software team and Shanling heads do not take customer requests in consideration and just treat their "loyal" customers like s**t. Maybe they someday will understand that, if they get no more customers, there is no more Shanling ? Hope they won't notice too late...

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2024 at 10:34 AM Post #201 of 264
Hey Shanling

You should change the menu colors. Yellow and white are not prominent enough. There should be a dark color instead of yellow.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2024 at 11:26 AM Post #202 of 264
Hey Shanling

You should change the menu colors. Yellow and white are not prominent enough. There should be a dark color instead of yellow.
Hi,

If you ask me there are NUMEROUS other priorities before they change colors :)
For me there are 2 things that should be done ASAP :
- Fix the stability problems : I don't think I am the only one not able to keep a connection to my device for more than 10 minutes in a row ;
- Stop playback at the end of the playlist.

Once that is done, maybe colors can be considered.

But I think Shanling promised a new firmware recently... So far I don't think it has been released.
Instead Shanling released a super expensive CD player and a CD player with DAC and headphone amp... and worked on the Onix Miracle.
So the software tema is probably busy working on software for other devices...

But since I changed my headphone and do not need EQ anymore, I can live with my current set-up and enjoy the EH-3 as it is.
The 2 mentioned features above are the only ones missing for me to use the Shanling EH-3 totally autonomous with Shanling software...

Jan 18, 2024 at 12:08 PM Post #203 of 264
@Shanling, is there a way to set the display so it dims after a certain period of time, as opposed to just dimming it altogether? If not, that would be a nice addition in a firmware update. Thank you!

Jan 18, 2024 at 7:26 PM Post #204 of 264
@Shanling, is there a way to set the display so it dims after a certain period of time, as opposed to just dimming it altogether? If not, that would be a nice addition in a firmware update. Thank you!
Not at this time.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jan 18, 2024 at 11:35 PM Post #205 of 264
Hello EH3 owners. I understand that the sound of AK and ESS is different. If anyone has comparison experience, please describe your impression of the difference in sound of the EH3 relative to devices with AK (for example, shanling h7 or others).

Jan 18, 2024 at 11:40 PM Post #206 of 264
I'd say that if there is indeed an audible difference, ESS gives me detail but it's slightly more analytical than AK, which is smoother, more organic...
Pick your poison 🤣
As far as I am concerned, I've always liked the AK chips more until I heard this 9039 pro DAC from ESS !

Jan 19, 2024 at 9:42 AM Post #208 of 264
I can't open the user manual. Can someone explain the features to me?
digital filters????
IIS Input mode???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back