Shanling EH3 - Desktop DAC/AMP with Wi-Fi, USB Drive Playback and Flagship ESS ES9039PRO DAC
Feb 3, 2024 at 2:59 AM Post #226 of 260
Hi,
Despite all attempts with the wireless router, I could not connect it.
As a last resort, I decided to reset it to factory settings.
After that, it could connect to the EH-3 that can be used as DLNA server and UPnP Renderer.

Now let's see if that improves the stability of the streaming.

Regards.

Feb 3, 2024 at 7:06 AM Post #227 of 260
Hi,
This morning I took some time to reorganize my whole music library so it could be used by Eddict more efficiently.
I had to do so because Eddict does not handle Album artist tag and I rely a lot in that tag to have several interpretations of the same classical works.
So I went for a workaround and restaged almost everything with Picard from musicbrainz...

So I am now using Eddict with Synclink to listen to my music with the Austrian Audio Hi-X60 headphone which does not need EQ to fit my tastes in sound.

Let's see if that proves to be viable solution...
All I can already state is that Eddict does quit a lot when in the background...

Two suggestions to improve Eddict for you @Shanling which would make life easier if Eddict has to be used.

The first had already been made : a widget ! That would maybe even improve background stability ?

One really nice addition would to have the title of album displayed on 2 lines instead of a single one...
I'm sending screenshots of Eddict and of mConnect so you can understand what that would improve :wink:
Not sure how difficult that would be to implement.

Regards

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-02-03-12-59-05-723_com.shanling.eddictplayer.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-02-03-12-59-05-723_com.shanling.eddictplayer.jpg
    339.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_2024-02-03-12-59-44-884_com.conversdigitalpaid.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-02-03-12-59-44-884_com.conversdigitalpaid.jpg
    684.3 KB · Views: 0
Feb 7, 2024 at 12:42 AM Post #228 of 260
Hi,

After udating my whole music library to fit better in Eddict, I would like to report that it seems the DLNA handling by Shanling is a bit weird.
Indeed :
- If I browse the Library with Synclink and choose to browse via artists, I am presentend with a list of albums from that artist ;
- If I browse the EH-3 Library from Eddict but as a DLNA Server, if I browse by artist I am presentend with ALL Tracks by that artist, in album order, but not as albums.

Sending screen shots to illustrate...
First : Eddict browsing EH-3 USB Stick with DLNA ;
Second : Eddict browsing EH-3 USB Stick with SyncLink ;
Third : mConnect browsing EH-3 USB Stick by Artist over DLNA (same result in othe third party software like Bubble or UAPP).

I think it is Chinese new year at the moment, and so do not expect to get an answer shortly... Enjopy your holidays :)
But if that is something that can be sorted (maybe a setting in the Third party app ?) it would be nice.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-02-07-06-42-56-630_com.shanling.eddictplayer.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-02-07-06-42-56-630_com.shanling.eddictplayer.jpg
    326.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_2024-02-07-06-43-43-263_com.shanling.eddictplayer.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-02-07-06-43-43-263_com.shanling.eddictplayer.jpg
    392.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_2024-02-07-06-44-19-553_com.conversdigitalpaid.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-02-07-06-44-19-553_com.conversdigitalpaid.jpg
    490.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 26, 2024 at 4:41 PM Post #238 of 260
Hi,

There is something really weird happening recently and I can not explain what it is.

The problem is both hardware and software.

Let's talk about software first.
And no, I am not going to talk about third party software.
I am going to talk about Eddict... the ultimate app to drive the EH-3...

So I launch Eddict on my smartphone. It is the latest version available from the Play Store.
At times, after playing music, I get a message from my smartphone telling that battery is almost dead.
If I open the "Battery" setting, it reports that the battery usage is held by Eddict at about 65% !!!
But sometimes, I can run Eddict for hours and it reports 5 or 6% battery drain.
No way to tell when what happens :frowning2:

Still on the software side, I launch Eddict.
I connect to the EH-3 using SyncLink.
I start playing an album and then I stop use the smartphone and leave Eddict in the background.
I then return to Eddict and find out it has lost connection to the EH-3 (even though I am not out of range of course).
That is not a real problem... I can reconnect to the EH-3.
But if I do so, Eddict get's totally unusable : play/pause : not working ; skip to next track : not working ; go back to previous track : not working... I can only display the album that is currently playing but that is it.
I rebooted the phone ; I uninstalled Eddict and installed it again ; I cleared data and cache... Nothing helps !

Now from the hardware, as mentioned before, the remote control stopped working.
It can be the remote control itself or the sensor inside the EH-3.
I must say that I fear that it is the sensor inside the EH-3.
Why ?
Because it also happens quite often now that when Eddict gets unresponsive, I want to control the EH-3 with the physical buttons.
It now happens quite often that those physical buttons are unusable : no "Play/pause" ; no "skip to next track ; no back to previous track... The only thing I can do is change source, but even that does not work all the time.
I of course already performed a factory reset.

So I am assuming my device is defective for some reason...

Of course it is still under warranty and may get serviced.
BUT : the problem is not obvious and a quick "tour" or "inspection" will show it is working as it should.
So not sure any service center will take care of it.

Not sure it makes sense posting in here as this thread seems to be dead :frowning2:

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2024 at 9:42 PM Post #239 of 260
Can you route all digital inputs to the USB output at their native data rate?

Yes, it works for unchanged original data stream.

Hi,

There is something really weird happening recently and I can not explain what it is.

The problem is both hardware and software.

Let's talk about software first.
And no, I am not going to talk about third party software.
I am going to talk about Eddict... the ultimate app to drive the EH-3...

So I launch Eddict on my smartphone. It is the latest version available from the Play Store.
At times, after playing music, I get a message from my smartphone telling that battery is almost dead.
If I open the "Battery" setting, it reports that the battery usage is held by Eddict at about 65% !!!
But sometimes, I can run Eddict for hours and it reports 5 or 6% battery drain.
No way to tell when what happens :frowning2:

Still on the software side, I launch Eddict.
I connect to the EH-3 using SyncLink.
I start playing an album and then I stop use the smartphone and leave Eddict in the background.
I then return to Eddict and find out it has lost connection to the EH-3 (even though I am not out of range of course).
That is not a real problem... I can reconnect to the EH-3.
But if I do so, Eddict get's totally unusable : play/pause : not working ; skip to next track : not working ; go back to previous track : not working... I can only display the album that is currently playing but that is it.
I rebooted the phone ; I uninstalled Eddict and installed it again ; I cleared data and cache... Nothing helps !

Now from the hardware, as mentioned before, the remote control stopped working.
It can be the remote control itself or the sensor inside the EH-3.
I must say that I fear that it is the sensor inside the EH-3.
Why ?
Because it also happens quite often now that when Eddict gets unresponsive, I want to control the EH-3 with the physical buttons.
It now happens quite often that those physical buttons are unusable : no "Play/pause" ; no "skip to next track ; no back to previous track... The only thing I can do is change source, but even that does not work all the time.
I of course already performed a factory reset.

So I am assuming my device is defective for some reason...

Of course it is still under warranty and may get serviced.
BUT : the problem is not obvious and a quick "tour" or "inspection" will show it is working as it should.
So not sure any service center will take care of it.

Not sure it makes sense posting in here as this thread seems to be dead :frowning2:

For remote, would recommend checking with your dealer/distributor and getting replacement to check.

The unit can sometimes freeze if the synclink connection is terminated randomly.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Feb 28, 2024 at 12:41 AM Post #240 of 260
Yes, it works for unchanged original data stream.

For remote, would recommend checking with your dealer/distributor and getting replacement to check.

The unit can sometimes freeze if the synclink connection is terminated randomly.
Hi,

Thanks a lot for the reply. I guess chinese new year holidays are over now :wink:

I'll check with the reseller/dealer indeed.
One question : will the RC-3T remote control work with other devices from Shanling ?
If it's difficult to work out with the dealer is it possible to buy a RC-3T somewhere ?
Or do you know of any other remote control that wold be compatible ?

For the freezing : you are obviously aware of the problem.
Any chance you're working on a fix ?
Especially since Eddict terminates the Synclink connection really often (sometimes the connection terminates after 1 minute or so... sometimes it sticks for several hours. Totally random behaviour).

It seems like performing a total rescan of the USB stick from time to time helps the system to not freeze...

Regards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back