Shanling ET3 - Dedicated Digital CD Transport, With USB Drive and Wi-Fi Support
Mar 28, 2024 at 12:46 AM Post #736 of 755
How did you get the Shanling to output DSD correctly?
I have a Gustard X18 dac, and I only use the I2S output from the Shanling. I think I'm correctly setting the Shanling to output DSD, but I only get PCM decoded by the Gustard.
I am able to decode DSD correctly from my SACD player, but not the Shanling.
If you could send along the various Shanling setting you use, that could help me.

Thanks! JMac

I have a custom made i2S cable,
The i2s pins on R26 and Shanling are different.

Mar 28, 2024 at 1:01 AM Post #737 of 755
I have a custom made i2S cable,
The i2s pins on R26 and Shanling are different.
Yes, I also have a custom made I2S cable. It definitely works. I'm just getting PCM on my Gustard, when the output from the Shanling should be DSD.
I was hoping you could tell me the various settings you made on the Shanling to output DSD.
That way I could try to duplicate it.

Thanks, JMac

Mar 28, 2024 at 1:05 AM Post #738 of 755
Yes, I also have a custom made I2S cable. It definitely works. I'm just getting PCM on my Gustard, when the output from the Shanling should be DSD.
I was hoping you could tell me the various settings you made on the Shanling to output DSD.
That way I could try to duplicate it.

Thanks, JMac

SRC is DSD 512 on Shanling, make sure no other cables are connected to Shanling other than i2S.

If it doesn't work, I think the custom cable is not working as expected, the pins would be wrong.

Mar 28, 2024 at 2:48 AM Post #739 of 755
Shanling ET3 outputs to Gustard R26, via AES and i2S
Of course this is not a permanent thing but to check which combo sounds better.

PCM works as expected, but when I try to upsample to DSD via i2s, I just get pcm.
There is no error or anything.

When I remove the AES output from Shanling but still connected on R26 end, I can upsample via DSD on i2s

SRC is DSD 512 on Shanling, make sure no other cables are connected to Shanling other than i2S.

If it doesn't work, I think the custom cable is not working as expected, the pins would be wrong.

Tested this double output on ET3 with DACs in our offices and we are unable to replicate this situation.

ET3 can run two outputs to the DAC, but when DAC is set to I2S input, it will correctly receive DSD.

Are you able to test it with any other DAC? As it's possible that Gustard sees some input on AES EBU and it affects its I2S circuit.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Mar 28, 2024 at 4:56 AM Post #740 of 755
Tested this double output on ET3 with DACs in our offices and we are unable to replicate this situation.

ET3 can run two outputs to the DAC, but when DAC is set to I2S input, it will correctly receive DSD.

Are you able to test it with any other DAC? As it's possible that Gustard sees some input on AES EBU and it affects its I2S circuit.

Thank you, let me retry this with r26
I don't have other dac with i2s.

Mar 29, 2024 at 5:15 AM Post #741 of 755
Shanling already addressed that. It's not a priority feature for them to be able to directly select tracks.

For future reference, tag @Shanling if you want a direct response.

Thanks

This is feature that is available on ECMini, there you can skip directly between CD tracks.

On ET3, we were told by engineers that the hardware doesn't support such feature.

That's all the info we have for now.

Great to know

Mar 31, 2024 at 7:28 AM Post #742 of 755
Shanling ET3 outputs to Gustard R26, via AES and i2S
Of course this is not a permanent thing but to check which combo sounds better.

PCM works as expected, but when I try to upsample to DSD via i2s, I just get pcm.
There is no error or anything.

When I remove the AES output from Shanling but still connected on R26 end, I can upsample via DSD on i2s

@Shanling I tried this again and I am getting DSD upsampling on i2s and PCM on AES.
I just plugged back the AES cable back and it started working and showing properly.

Weird but it seems working now without any update or change.

Apr 1, 2024 at 3:23 PM Post #743 of 755
Question about playing from USB - as soon as I switch to USB, ET3 immediately starts playing music. And once I select an album (or a track inside of a directory), it will play all tracks and then automatically proceed to another folder.

In Eddict app, the app settings when not connected have Folder and Album Skip turned off. But these settings are not available when I connect SyncLink to the ET3.

Is there any way to prevent the ET3 from not immediately playing when I switch to USB?

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2024 at 9:10 PM Post #744 of 755
Question about playing from USB - as soon as I switch to USB, ET3 immediately starts playing music. And once I select an album (or a track inside of a directory), it will play all tracks and then automatically proceed to another folder.

In Eddict app, the app settings when not connected have Folder and Album Skip turned off. But these settings are not available when I connect SyncLink to the ET3.

Is there any way to prevent the ET3 from not immediately playing when I switch to USB?
Currently these settings are not available for ET3.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Apr 3, 2024 at 2:02 PM Post #745 of 755
Got an ET3 today and am happy to report that you don't need a special I2S cable to connect it to a Holo Audio Cyan2 DAC, just a standard HDMI 4K cable will do. Interesting to listen to the upsampling feature, PCM up to 768 kHz and up to DSD512, you can select what you want via the Eddict app with just a few seconds interruption as you switch rates (as long as SyncLink is activated). I seem to prefer upsampled PCM so far. CDs sound great upsampled this way, also FLAC files stored on a 1Tb SSD drive directly connected via USB work well, incidentally exFAT format type. Getting it on WiFi was reasonably easy, I used the non SyncLink method described in the Advanced manual. Getting SyncLink to work proved much more difficult. I found that I needed to first get the ET3 listed as a previously paired bluetooth device on my control tablet (android Samsung A7). Then with the tablet WiFi and Bluetooth both on but not paired, then SyncLink would successfully connect and link with the ET3 over Bluetooth. Previously without being in the list of historically paired devices on my tablet, the SyncLink would fail to find the ET3 and would then close the Bluetooth connection abruptly and sometimes cause the ET3 to freeze up and be nonresponsive to any buttons or remote. Only a complete power off and then on with the rear switch would work to restore ET3 function. However once I got SyncLink working, all was good even the music scan to read the external SSD was reasonably fast, artists and albums displayed without issue. The order of tracks listed per album seems to be random, but that may reflect the fact that I have track numbers as part of the song names. Some options as regards sorting in the Eddict app would help here.

Apr 3, 2024 at 2:12 PM Post #746 of 755
The order of tracks listed per album seems to be random, but that may reflect the fact that I have track numbers as part of the song names. Some options as regards sorting in the Eddict app would help here.

I didn't think I would use for file playback, but finding I am and seeing the same thing regarding files and how they are listed. Agree that some sorting options within the Eddict would really help those issues.

I'm using a 3TB external drive without issues, everything works fast. Using search to get to subdirectories quickly works very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back