The GRADO SR-60 Impressions Thread
Jun 23, 2011 at 2:53 AM Post #751 of 869

Quote:
you have some freaking awesome cans man

Oh DUDE no most of those are just work I've done for people before. Some of those are Moon Audio's sample pics that I just like to look at.

I just own a few Grados and IEMs, nothing fancy. It's just a facebook page for people asking me if I have any pictures of previous work. Only like 3-4 of those are actually mine.

Jun 23, 2011 at 2:57 AM Post #752 of 869
Pm'd 

Jul 10, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #753 of 869
I just got myself a pair of Sr60i. My goodness these are so bright, when I listen to them after a while I want to puke my brains through my nose, please stop it it says. What mod can I apply to them to take away these awful highs? There is bass, but the upper range is so emphasized the final sensation is like listening to constant buzz, can't relax. Help!  Otherwise I am considering to sell them and try to forget Grado sound experience once and for all. 

I tried them with many sources and they are equally bright. Eeww.. my brain. Must stop listen to this. :frowning2:(   

I knew they were bright from comments, but this is just unbearable. My brightest headphones ever. Porta Pros don't compare to these and I thought they were bright. Hd 25-1 s as well.   

My other complaint on the sound is that it seems light, too light. I definitely don't like Grado sound. Some have said that HD 25-1 is like Grado sound and I wanted to try. Well Sr60i don't compare to HD 25-1, maybe the in you face sound yes, but other than that HD 25-1 is a headphone! SR60i is too light and bright to be a true winner for everyone.       

Jul 10, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #754 of 869
If you don't actually like them, then no amount of modding is going to correct that for you. 

Jul 10, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #755 of 869

Quote:
If you don't actually like them, then no amount of modding is going to correct that for you. 

I like them. They are kinda flat and very clean sounding, I just thought of AKG mixed with Porta Pro but with even further bumped mids and highs and I got SR60i. If I could get rid of these super sharp highs it would be awesome.  Piercing is the right word here like it tries to polish my brans constantly. Eeek.   

Jul 10, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #759 of 869
Whoa! I'm too clumsy for that.

Quote:
I'm no Chuck Norris but I pulled a new one apart recently without even bothering with steam etc... Granted, the second cup wasn't quite as cooperative.

How do you guys put the cups back together?
confused_face.gif
 Use extra glue? 

Jul 10, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #760 of 869

Quote:
Whoa! I'm too clumsy for that.

Quote:
I'm no Chuck Norris but I pulled a new one apart recently without even bothering with steam etc... Granted, the second cup wasn't quite as cooperative.

How do you guys put the cups back together?
confused_face.gif
 Use extra glue? 

yes, or if its tight enough just leave them like that. I use bluck tack in the walls. same glue grado uses is good because you can heat it up and take appart

Jul 10, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #761 of 869

Quote:

I like them. They are kinda flat and very clean sounding, I just thought of AKG mixed with Porta Pro but with even further bumped mids and highs and I got SR60i. If I could get rid of these super sharp highs it would be awesome.  Piercing is the right word here like it tries to polish my brans constantly. Eeek.   

I'm not going to lie, even a fresh SR-225 out of the box makes my ears hurt if I haven't been using them for a while.

1) Could be a driver break-in
2) Could just be me getting used to it
3) Could be ear damage (I'm 22 and I listen to music at the lowest volume I can while hearing all the details)

I'm guessing it's number 1 hopefully, but my stock SR-60 and my recabled SR-60s which should have the brightest treble don't have the same effect anymore. You gotta listen to certain music to hear the bass. You'll know. I actually changed tastes in music when I revisited the G-cans and then everything was a breath of fresh air from there. 

Glad you enjoy them now. I've heard the Porta Pro's and there is no way they're that cheap and sound that good! They're like the perfect sound signature honestly and the stock SR-60 is almost a side-grade depending on what you want out of a headphone

Jul 11, 2011 at 4:45 AM Post #762 of 869
I settled them for brake in. I'll be doing that for a week. For now Porta Pros are more fun, darker and duller but I can enjoy music. WIth Grados it was like higher range was always getting in the way of my perception, after half an hour my brains were zzinging. If they do not change I'll be selling them and be done with it. Other than for piercing highs and a bit emphasized mids they sound very good, the bass is amazing, but it's not so easy to see it because of terrible higher range that always jumps at you.

EDIT: 

After 2 days of braking in I start to enjoy them, they felt more mellow and soft, and these are really really what I would call FUN headhones! Probably not fun in a basy way, but in a analytical way because I find them to be analytical. Today I listened constantly for 2 hours, no fatigue whatsoever and I felt like music is being shown to me in a different way than before with all the other headphones. And one interesting thing I did not have to turn the volume up to be enjoyable, quite amazing headphones.  My only gripe now is the comfort, extended periods cause pain to my years, on the outside where the pads press. Other than that i want to say Buy them! Detail has never been more fun. It really has been some sorts of revelation and I do feel Sr60i sound a bit different, but very enjoyable.. did you have situations, when you're listening to music, and get the sensation it sounds sorts of amusing and funny and soooo deeply enjoyable right there? Sr60i do just that with the music.    

Mar 6, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #763 of 869
Just got my SR60i in the mail today and I am already liking them more than my HD485 and my AD700. I think I may have found my favorite brand (still haven't listened to Stax yet though). The way that these reproduce cymbals is AMAZING! I must just love treble but I think I could listen to almost any genre with these. Does anyone use them for jazz?

Dec 26, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #764 of 869
Looks like this is a fairly in-active thread - but I've got a question.  SR60s are my headphone of choice for home right now.  Searching for a closed can for the office and getting close to pulling the trigger on some mad dogs - but keep lurking the for sale threads hoping for something to jump out at me.

I love the SR60. I have done the hole punch/felt mod and love them even more.

On to my question - in search of perfection perhaps I am interested in what, if anything, changes when these are amped.  My source is typically lossless files from an iPod Classic 7G.

Does anyone think they are worth amping?  Any success with a particular amp?

I'm open to considering anything.  In absence of a recommendation I will likely order a JDSLabs Objective2.

Big thanks to all of you that have shared your grado mod information - it made the process really easy for me.  I've never soldered anything - but considering practicing a little and trying a re-cable now as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back