TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL HYBRID IEM!*
Dec 13, 2016 at 11:36 PM Post #9,691 of 24,683
This is a follow up of my previous impressions of PM4 I posted here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/796729/trinity-phantom-series-new-thread-worlds-first-push-pull-hybrid-iem/9240#post_13062483

Since last week I've 3 units of PM4 to test. I ordered 2 Gunmetal and received 1 Black and 1 Gunmetal. My friend ordered a PM4 and use my address for delivery. He ordered a Gunmetal, but delivered Black. So no I have 2 Blacks and 1 Gunmetal for testing. First Black came with extra whirlwind generic ear tips. The Gunmetal came with extra SpinFit ear tips. The 2nd Black unit didn't come with extra ear tips. So there is inconsistency here.

From all three, so far I don't see any issue with build quality. Only one piece of Gold filter that can be screwed to the Gunmetal PM4, but cannot be well tightened. The rest are good so far. I haven't tested all the 3 sets of filters from all the 3 PM4, but so far haven't seen any major issue with the build quality.

For me, comfort and fit are good. No issue with fitting so far and PM4 feels very comfortable even for a very long period of use.

After having more time with PM4 with my preferred filter, Gold Damped, I would say that I'm started to be able to accept and even enjoy the sound signature of PM4. There are some fuzziness or a kind of muffledness around the midrange area, it is still there, but sounds less with Gold filter and only become a problem with very complex orchestral music, and not so much of a problem, or I can say ignorable with simple Pop songs and other less complex arrangement. Generally, PM4 doesn't perform very well with fast and busy music, but more towards smooth pleasing sounding type of sound signature.

The fuzziness in the midrange varies between the Black PM4 and the Gunmetal PM4. The difference is not night and day but quite noticeable. Both Black PM4 have a similar level of fuzziness, while the Gunmetal PM4 sounds noticeably cleaner with better clarity. The differences between the Black units and the Gunmetal unit is not really clear from the measurement, but I can confirm that the Gunmetal PM4 sounds noticeably cleaner with better instrument separation than the 2 Black units. With the Gold filters (damped and undamped) the fuzziness I perceived as minimal and still acceptable. But previously with the gunmetal filter, the level of fuzziness was rather annoying for me. I find the Purple and Silver sound filter give either not enough bass or too much bass, therefore I didn't spend much time with Purple and Silver sound filter.

I tested all the 3 PM4s with the same pair of sound filters for better consistency. So I remove the filter and screw into the next PM4 for testing. As for the gears, I tested the PM4 using Onkyo DP-X1, Fiio X3ii, LH Geek Out 450, and ifi micro iDSD. My subjective opinion for which source sounds best with PM4 is as the following, from best (top) to less preferred (bottom):
ifi micro iDSD
LH Geek Out 450
Onkyo DP-X1 & Fiio X3ii

I did measure all the 3x PM4s using my standard equipment which is MiniDSP UMIK-1 measurement microphone and DIY acoustic coupler that I made using 5 layers of heat shrink tubing. I did some experiments with the acoustic coupler, with different length of the acoustic couplers, and use the one that I observe to show the closest result to what I perceived by my ears, and also comparing to FR measurements from manufacturers.

I measured every channel twice with unplugging and refit the IEM into the acoustic coupler. So after a measurement, I unplug the IEM from the acoustic coupler, fit it back, and measure. I did this to check the consistency of the measurement. I actually did more than twice for some of the units, and so far the measurement results have been quite consistent. At last, I measured my reference IEM for tonality flatness, the DUNU DN-2000, also to check the consistency of the measurement setup. I use Fiio X3ii as USB DAC, and Room EQ Wizard program.

Here are the screenshots of the 3 units of PM4: Black1 and Gunmetal that belong to me, and Black2 unit that belongs to my friend. Also included the DUNU DN-2000 measurement done in the same session. All measurements are using gunmetal sound filter with the stock foam ear tip. I only use 1 gunmetal filter with 1 foam ear tip for all the drivers. So I unscrew from the previous driver and screw the filter to the next driver. This is to maintain the consistency of the measurement. I use foam ear tip for better alignment to the axis of the measurement microphone. Foam ear tip holds the driver better than the silicone ear tip and showing better consistency between measurements. The measurement showing frequency response and distortion analysis. I would say after measuring all 6 drivers (3 Left and 3 Right), the consistency between drivers is pretty good. I've seen much worse from higher priced IEMs.

PLEASE TAKE NOTE:
The measurement equipment I used here is not a standard measurement equipment to measure IEM, therefore I cannot guarantee that the results below are accurate. The reason for showing the measurement result is only to show COMPARISONS between 3 different PM4 units and my reference IEM DUNU DN-2000. Please DO NOT use the following measurement results to be compared with other measurement results.

PM4 - Black1

PM4 - Gunmetal

PM4 - Black2

DUNU DN-2000

FR of all 3x PM4s and DUNU DN-2000

For those who would like to analyze the REW measurement result, you can download it here.

MiniDSP UMIK-1 and the DIY acoustic coupler:

Dec 14, 2016 at 12:39 AM Post #9,692 of 24,683
Excellent work...!!!

Hopefully this could be a good feedback for Trinity Engineering...

Edit: sorry to quote the whole long post previously...

Dec 14, 2016 at 6:32 AM Post #9,694 of 24,683
Whoa... excellent work!!!

Hopefully this could be a good feedback for Trinity Engineering...

Pls don't quote such a long post in the future, thx in advance

Dec 14, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #9,696 of 24,683
Yeah, I love the fullness of sound of the dn2000. There's a level of sweetness in mids (better for male vocals), excellent attack and organic decay in sub bass. Resolution is better too, though the pm4 shines beautifully with jazz. I like the pm4's highs though they lack the ambient extension of the Dunu hybrid. For presale value, the pm4s are pretty good...hopefully with proper upgrades and cables will satisfy everyone keeping the pm4.

Dec 14, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #9,697 of 24,683
@Bobtrinity and Jake
Received my replacements filters (for the defective ones) and today my missing Spinfits came in. Thanks for the great aftersales!

Dec 14, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #9,698 of 24,683
  This is a follow up of my previous impressions of PM4 I posted here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/796729/trinity-phantom-series-new-thread-worlds-first-push-pull-hybrid-iem/9240#post_13062483

Since last week I've 3 units of PM4 to test. I ordered 2 Gunmetal and received 1 Black and 1 Gunmetal. My friend ordered a PM4 and use my address for delivery. He ordered a Gunmetal, but delivered Black. So no I have 2 Blacks and 1 Gunmetal for testing. First Black came with extra whirlwind generic ear tips. The Gunmetal came with extra SpinFit ear tips. The 2nd Black unit didn't come with extra ear tips. So there is inconsistency here.

I would have agree with your assessments here. I have a gunmetal PM4 and do hear the same "fuzzyness". I have a list songs that really do cause the PM4 to fall apart sound-quality wise, which grows the more I listen to my library. I'm completely bewildered as to why certain songs produce "noise" in the upper-mids (when my other IEMs on the same rigs don't).

Dec 14, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #9,699 of 24,683
For those having problems with fuzzy/shouty mid range, try using 3rd party wide bore tips combined with one of the dampened filters. This really helped improve the sound on mine, achieving a balance between smoothness and detail.

Dec 14, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #9,700 of 24,683
  For those having problems with fuzzy/shouty mid range, try using 3rd party wide bore tips combined with one of the dampened filters. This really helped improve the sound on mine, achieving a balance between smoothness and detail.

Problem is with the dampened you lose sparkle and spaciousness in the highs as well.

Dec 14, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #9,701 of 24,683
I have the pm4 in silver. Im just average joe who appreciates good sounding hp's etc. Have to say, I dont understand the fuzzyness etc people are reporting? To my ears, the sound clear, as in really clear. Filter pending, bass hits hard and deep, highs sound detailed and energetic (I hear no sibilance at all) and vocals sound very clear and full. Pm4 sounds full with good weight throughout the songs to my ears...

Dec 14, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #9,702 of 24,683
I have the pm4 in silver. Im just average joe who appreciates good sounding hp's etc. Have to say, I dont understand the fuzzyness etc people are reporting? To my ears, the sound clear, as in really clear. Filter pending, bass hits hard and deep, highs sound detailed and energetic (I hear no sibilance at all) and vocals sound very clear and full. Pm4 sounds full with good weight throughout the songs to my ears...

You would have to hear it to really understand it. It's something I've never heard in an IEM before. Like an off key resonance competing with the sound. It only happens on certain songs at certain volume levels, and I can't really pick out a consistent aspect to what's causing it. There's just a....noise, and it muddies things up in the upper mids.

It doesn't wreck the IEM in total for me yet, but it certainly is something that takes me out of what I'm doing to think "what was that???".

Dec 14, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #9,703 of 24,683
You would have to hear it to really understand it. It's something I've never heard in an IEM before. Like an off key resonance competing with the sound. It only happens on certain songs at certain volume levels, and I can't really pick out a consistent aspect to what's causing it. There's just a....noise, and it muddies things up in the upper mids.

It doesn't wreck the IEM in total for me yet, but it certainly is something that takes me out of what I'm doing to think "what was that???".
hmmm have no experience with anything like that, sounds strange...

Dec 14, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #9,704 of 24,683
Some more comments  after almost two weeks.
I tried in the beginning very shortly gunmetal filters with the tips that were installed. I did not like it at all.Not clear enough. I'm currently using gold undamped on left ear and silver undamped on right ear. I'm very happy with the sound of music I'm  mostly listening.. There  also seemed to be really a burn in period. I did not expect it at all and  was pleasantly surprised.

About the ringing sound/muddines on mids.. I have managed  to get it on few recordings, but 95% of the recordings I believe are really well recorded and mastered do sound just great.
Big emotional sound.

In particular Chesky and good vinyl rips sound very good to me.

Dec 14, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #9,705 of 24,683
Can totally relate, I definitely have total assymetry between my ear canals too. Never have any problem inserting earphones or earplugs in my left ear, but the right always takes a ton of effort and adjusting.

I've the same issue with many iems. Pm4 and campfire audio Jupiter didn't have that issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back