Two new HifiMan players announced: HM700 and HM802
Feb 13, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #226 of 357
  Dr. Fang, you just might have saved a return...

...and persuaded a dubiously person to place a new order. 
wink.gif

Feb 21, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #231 of 357
I've decided to go ahead and pick the HM700+RE400B combo up, probably sometime next week, and I've emailed Dr. Fang about Rockbox development.  It'll be a long process, but hopefully we can get the ball rolling soon as I'll be creating a thread over on the Rockbox New Ports forum.

Feb 21, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #232 of 357
  I've decided to go ahead and pick the HM700+RE400B combo up, probably sometime next week, and I've emailed Dr. Fang about Rockbox development.  It'll be a long process, but hopefully we can get the ball rolling soon as I'll be creating a thread over on the Rockbox New Ports forum.

If I understood your post correctly, and you're going to develop RB on HM-700, well, I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Feb 21, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #233 of 357
Where are you buying the hm and re400b combo from?
Cheers

Feb 21, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #236 of 357

If I understood your post correctly, and you're going to develop RB on HM-700, well, I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Has anyone received reply from Dr. Fang regarding RB yet? Have been waiting for 1 week now.

I'm not sure if anyone else contacted him yet, but RB is quite a process to get started and alot of work to get ported and fully functional.  I'm not super skilled at programming, but I've spent the past few days reading up on their process for submitting inquiries for new ports and what is required.  I'll basically make a proposals to any other RB developers and gather as much information about the player and stock firmware as possible, and hope there is someone else interested in working on it as well.

Feb 21, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #237 of 357
Hello, audiophiles! I need an advice. I want to buy portable audio player because I am tired from my ****y device (Walkman NWZ-B152F). I have Yamaha EPH-100 and a little useless Fiio E6. I wanted to buy HM-601 Slim but then I noticed this new player and now I don't know what to buy.

I listen to IEM (especially electro-swing, deep house, nu-disco, nu-jazz), jazz, beats and ambient. And in some review I have read that HM-601 has "warm" analog sound. But in this review http://personalaudio.ru/detail/hifiman_hm_700/ (on Russian) they say that it provides more large soundstage which is greate for my preferred music.

Help me with advice, I believe you can =)

P.S. My budget is about $300.

Feb 21, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #238 of 357
  Hello, audiophiles! I need an advice. I want to buy portable audio player because I am tired from my ****y device (Walkman NWZ-B152F). I have Yamaha EPH-100 and a little useless Fiio E6. I wanted to buy HM-601 Slim but then I noticed this new player and now I don't know what to buy.

I listen to IEM (especially electro-swing, deep house, nu-disco, nu-jazz), jazz, beats and ambient. And in some review I have read that HM-601 has "warm" analog sound. But in this review http://personalaudio.ru/detail/hifiman_hm_700/ (on Russian) they say that it provides more large soundstage which is greate for my preferred music.

Help me with advice, I believe you can =)

P.S. My budget is about $300.

Currently the HM-601 Slim Limited Edition is available for $219, and includes the improved amp section from the former HM-602.  There are a few things to consider:  The HM-700 is balanced output only, and won't work with the EPH-100 without a special adapter.  The included RE-400B has a special balanced connector to fully utilize the balanced amp, so you'd primarily want to pair this with balanced IEMs only to get the full benefits of the amp section.  The HM-601 LE and HM-700 are going to be pretty different sounding, I'd say primarily because the HM-601 uses a vintage NOS DAC chip which gives it that more warm, analog sound.  If your plan is to keep the EPH-100, and you want more warmth, then you may want to consider something like the HM-601LE or Fiio X3 which typically goes for about $200 as well.  If you want to consider trying a different IEM like the RE-400, then it seems the HM700+RE400B combo is the best way to do so, and there is an even greater increase in soundstage (among other improvements) as indicated by a few of the reviews here.  I've written a bit about these two IEMs recently as I had both at the same time:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/704091/hifiman-re-400-or-yamaha-eph-100#post_10239541 I hope that can give you a good idea about the differences between the two to see if you'd want to try the RE-400.

Feb 21, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #239 of 357
modulor, thank you for such answer. I defently won't change my Yamahas, but now a new question raised in my mind: "HM 601 SE or X3?". I have never heard about X3 before. I did some research I found out that X3 has more details but HM601 are more warmer. Is is right or not? And X3 has better software and it looks nicer.

However, software on HiFiMAN can be fixed with Rockbox (I hope).

What you think what DAP is good with YPH-100?

Feb 22, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #240 of 357
No expansion slot or line-out, maybe I'll wait for the HM-701 hint, hint.

I wouldn't hold my breath. The whole point in the design of the HM700 is not just a thin DAP, but one with a relatively much more powerful output for a player with its thickness (or relative lack thereof). That's why it has balanced output, and similarly, why it has to use a TRRS socket instead of Hirose or the square one used by RSA and others.

The only thing that's stopped me from getting one really is the availability of 3.5mm TRRS plugs to reterminate my IEMs more than the internal memory, since I can live with a fixed 32gb for mobile use. It's not like a tablet or smartphone where that 32gb would need to be shared with apps and other sorts of files, like photos or PDFs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back