Astell & Kern KANN - DAP with Massive Storage & Battery
Dec 1, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #1,261 of 2,698
Hello,
PC. I'm connecting the USB provided with the Kann which not USB C

Dec 1, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #1,262 of 2,698
Hello,
PC. I'm connecting the USB provided with the Kann which not USB C
Sorry I should have been more clear. KANN has two ports on the bottom - USB-C for charging and data connection and micro-USB for digital audio out, USB DAC use and connecting the AK CD-Ripper. I assume you are connecting the KANN to the PC using the USB-C port on the bottom?

What version of Windows are you using?

KANN should be turned on prior to connecting to the PC. Make sure in settings, USB Connection is set to MTP. Connect the KANN to the PC via the included USB-C to USB-A cable. KANN should appear as a removable drive.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Dec 1, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #1,263 of 2,698
I'm thinking of upgrading from my AK120II. Significant sound improvement?

I've been using my Hugo 2 with my AK120II, but it's just a pain in the neck to bring the Hugo everywhere and set it up. I'd like a one-box solution.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2017 at 5:18 AM Post #1,264 of 2,698
JasonNYC, thank you for your kind and valuable assistance.

I have recently bought the Kann, but haven’t been able to test it yet, as I’m still putting together the files in the SD cards. I save my files as ”artist – song title” and don’t care about albums, art-cover, genres, folders or what ever. I would like to play ALL the files in the player in shuffle mode, regardless where they are stored, be it internal and/or external memory. I would like the player to see internal and external memory as ONE and shuffle freely among memory spaces, playing it all. My question is:

Can this be done and can this be done without first creating a playlist?

Dec 2, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #1,265 of 2,698

I have recently bought the Kann, but haven’t been able to test it yet, as I’m still putting together the files in the SD cards. I save my files as ”artist – song title” and don’t care about albums, art-cover, genres, folders or what ever. I would like to play ALL the files in the player in shuffle mode, regardless where they are stored, be it internal and/or external memory. I would like the player to see internal and external memory as ONE and shuffle freely among memory spaces, playing it all. My question is:

Yes it can. Just set the folders to "all" and press the random button. That's how i listen to mine.

Dec 2, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #1,267 of 2,698

KANN will see all files, whether in internal memory or SD card as one in the Album, Artist, Song and Genre views. You can select song and hit play and it will play all songs regardless of where they are - internal memory, SD card, microSD card. If you would like to view by memory type, you can do so using the folder option.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Dec 3, 2017 at 1:15 AM Post #1,268 of 2,698

I've been using my Hugo 2 with my AK120II, but it's just a pain in the neck to bring the Hugo everywhere and set it up. I'd like a one-box solution.

I think that is a good idea. Hugo 2 should be your desktop solution and upgrading to Kann would solve your portability. Cheers

Dec 3, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #1,269 of 2,698

When asking if it would be a significant sound improvement are you wanting to compare the AK120II or the Hugo 2 to the KANN? Removing the Hugo 2 from the discussion, I would say not that significant a change, but that is very subjective and only you can really determine that answer. That said, the KANN is a single AKM AK4490 DAC while the AK120II has duel Cirrus Logic CS4398 DACs. Both offer SE and Balanced analog outputs, but the AK120II provides a separate DAC for each channel while the KANN uses a single DAC to feed separate output amps for each channel for the balanced output. The KANN offers significantly more storage and battery capacity than the AK120II, but that comes with a significantly larger and heavier size. The KANN supports digital audio out via USB OTG, but does not support optical digital audio out.

The decision really comes down to what matters to you. the KANN is a newer model with later technology so it should provide the better sound, but you already have the AK120II. I can tell you that I bought the KANN for the storage space, but find that I still carry my AK380 without its amp because the size and weight are more suited to be carried in my pocket.

Just my thoughts. Not trying to tell you its a good or bad idea, but laying out some facts so you can decide based on what matters to you.

Dec 4, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #1,270 of 2,698
When asking if it would be a significant sound improvement are you wanting to compare the AK120II or the Hugo 2 to the KANN? Removing the Hugo 2 from the discussion, I would say not that significant a change, but that is very subjective and only you can really determine that answer. That said, the KANN is a single AKM AK4490 DAC while the AK120II has duel Cirrus Logic CS4398 DACs. Both offer SE and Balanced analog outputs, but the AK120II provides a separate DAC for each channel while the KANN uses a single DAC to feed separate output amps for each channel for the balanced output. The KANN offers significantly more storage and battery capacity than the AK120II, but that comes with a significantly larger and heavier size. The KANN supports digital audio out via USB OTG, but does not support optical digital audio out.

The decision really comes down to what matters to you. the KANN is a newer model with later technology so it should provide the better sound, but you already have the AK120II. I can tell you that I bought the KANN for the storage space, but find that I still carry my AK380 without its amp because the size and weight are more suited to be carried in my pocket.

Just my thoughts. Not trying to tell you its a good or bad idea, but laying out some facts so you can decide based on what matters to you.

Thanks for your thoughts. I only want to upgrade if the KANN provides significantly better sound than the AK120II alone. I don't care much about storage or battery life--I don't run out of either, really. I guess I'll just have to compare the two myself next time I get the chance...

Dec 8, 2017 at 1:52 AM Post #1,271 of 2,698
Sorry I should have been more clear. KANN has two ports on the bottom - USB-C for charging and data connection and micro-USB for digital audio out, USB DAC use and connecting the AK CD-Ripper. I assume you are connecting the KANN to the PC using the USB-C port on the bottom?

What version of Windows are you using?

KANN should be turned on prior to connecting to the PC. Make sure in settings, USB Connection is set to MTP. Connect the KANN to the PC via the included USB-C to USB-A cable. KANN should appear as a removable drive.
Hi, this method is not working for me. Still cannot see the Kann.

Dec 8, 2017 at 5:45 AM Post #1,272 of 2,698
Does anyone know the decibel equivalents of the Kann volume?

Dec 8, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #1,273 of 2,698
Just received my Kann, after listening to the Kann and AK 70 mkII, I went for the Kann. Especially with full-size headphones, the power of the Kann makes everything sounds much better. Having the two card slots is also a big bonus, but yes... you pay the prices when it comes to weight! But very happy! Thanks everybody on this thread for all the information!

10zwqar.jpg

Dec 10, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #1,275 of 2,698
Hey guys if you get chance check out ak70mk thread, I have Kann and mk 2, both great daps, but in my opinion kann wins sq, more weight simbalance on every note, equally impressive soundstage, also ability to change gain settings
I did some critical listening just my 2 cents
Both great daps but Kann is impressive

Users who are viewing this thread

Back