Audeze LCD-MX4
Oct 18, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #873 of 907
Guys, i would love to do a review between the MX4 and X 2020 but there is no competition. The MX4 is a better headphone all around. Visceral sound and the X sounds anemic in comparison. The MX4 is way more dynamic and transparent in comparison. The only edge for the X is that is slightly wider while the MX4 present the music more “in your face”. The X and a much warmer headphone but surprisingly the MX4’s low end extension is much better. The bass is better defined and there is more of it with the MX4. Sorry but there is no comparison. The X is a great headphone, relaxed and easygoing but the MX4 is a different animal all together.

Oct 18, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #874 of 907
Hi all

Quick one can I please get a quick comparison between the lcd mx4 balanced compared to the meze empyrean
Context I have HD800S and clear but want something for long listening sessions as the 2 can get quite fatiguing

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2021 at 1:25 AM Post #875 of 907
Guys, i would love to do a review between the MX4 and X 2020 but there is no competition. The MX4 is a better headphone all around. Visceral sound and the X sounds anemic in comparison. The MX4 is way more dynamic and transparent in comparison. The only edge for the X is that is slightly wider while the MX4 present the music more “in your face”. The X and a much warmer headphone but surprisingly the MX4’s low end extension is much better. The bass is better defined and there is more of it with the MX4. Sorry but there is no comparison. The X is a great headphone, relaxed and easygoing but the MX4 is a different animal all together.
So the X`s are warmer? I`m looking for an upgrade to my LCD-2.2 and I would like to keep it lush and somewhat dark for late night listening.

Oct 19, 2021 at 1:51 AM Post #876 of 907
So the X`s are warmer? I`m looking for an upgrade to my LCD-2.2 and I would like to keep it lush and somewhat dark for late night listening.
That is not the MX4’s sound

Oct 19, 2021 at 2:14 AM Post #877 of 907
Hi all

Quick one can I please get a quick comparison between the lcd mx4 balanced compared to the meze empyrean
Context I have HD800S and clear but want something for long listening sessions as the 2 can get quite fatiguing

I don't own the MX4 anymore, but I remember going to my local shop and comparing it to the Empyrean. The immediately noticeable loss of detail was shocking. I would stay away from it just because with the 800S you are used to that detail. Not sure about the new Elite.

As a long listening session headphone the MX4 should not be fatiguing. The problem is that at 550 grams there is a time limit before it starts to feel heavy. It's not like the 600g+ Audezes, but still, after 2-3 hours you will feel it.

Oct 19, 2021 at 5:30 AM Post #879 of 907
Also the MX4 is much faster headphone. Especially with electronica, techno and edm you can hear the difference with the fast transients and snappy sounds. Also for reference my FR graph for the MX4 and X

Attachments

• Audeze -MX4 FR.jpg
    Audeze -MX4 FR.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Audeze LCD-X FR.jpg
    Audeze LCD-X FR.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 93744D6B-4565-431D-9C15-8B6EC91EF406.jpeg
    93744D6B-4565-431D-9C15-8B6EC91EF406.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 20, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #880 of 907
I don't own the MX4 anymore, but I remember going to my local shop and comparing it to the Empyrean. The immediately noticeable loss of detail was shocking. I would stay away from it just because with the 800S you are used to that detail. Not sure about the new Elite.

As a long listening session headphone the MX4 should not be fatiguing. The problem is that at 550 grams there is a time limit before it starts to feel heavy. It's not like the 600g+ Audezes, but still, after 2-3 hours you will feel it.
Thanks for the reply. I’m still curious about the empy even if a loss of details is the expense of long comfortable listening session but I don’t have a place to try it as my local headphone stores don’t sell it.

Mx4 definitely has a nice tuning though.I did find in my listening session that the top of my head developed a hot spot/uncomfortable feeling which became an issue after an hour or so. So that is concerning.

Oct 20, 2021 at 11:49 PM Post #881 of 907
Thanks for the reply. I’m still curious about the empy even if a loss of details is the expense of long comfortable listening session but I don’t have a place to try it as my local headphone stores don’t sell it.

Mx4 definitely has a nice tuning though.I did find in my listening session that the top of my head developed a hot spot/uncomfortable feeling which became an issue after an hour or so. So that is concerning.
So im going to answer my own question here.

The carbon headband seemed to be digging into the top of my head no matter how I adjusted it ( I think I have some bump or egg thing on the top of my head) that made it extremely uncomfortable after wearing the MX4 for about less than an hour.

Then I remembered I had this head band lamb skin cushion I got from a head fi-er here a few years ago (sorry can't remember who) and it fixed the issue on my Fostex TR-X00 Purplehearts which had a diabolical headband.

I put this over the carbon headband of the MX4, had to adjust the notches to nearly the loosest setting and now my head feels like a pillow with these on.

Finally can now sit back and relax with these babies because I absolutely love the smooth sound.
65648038264__08594203-70A9-4AB6-80B1-65AC02F6BAB6.JPG

Oct 24, 2021 at 5:24 AM Post #882 of 907
I've being working with my pair of MX4 with the channel imbalance as I mentioned earlier. Audeze contacted me promptly after posting, but I wasn't able to send them in until the last few days. I picked up a replacement pair to use in their absence.

I've been finding Audeze headbands are improved by changing the suspension strap for something that pads the carbon fiber headband. I'm considering either adding padding to the headband (like the sad little pads on the Beyer T51i) or adding padding in the suspension strap. You can see where the pressure of the headband lies on my pair.
1635067445093.png

Oct 24, 2021 at 5:34 AM Post #883 of 907
I've being working with my pair of MX4 with the channel imbalance as I mentioned earlier. Audeze contacted me promptly after posting, but I wasn't able to send them in until the last few days. I picked up a replacement pair to use in their absence.

I've been finding Audeze headbands are improved by changing the suspension strap for something that pads the carbon fiber headband. I'm considering either adding padding to the headband (like the sad little pads on the Beyer T51i) or adding padding in the suspension strap. You can see where the pressure of the headband lies on my pair.
1635067445093.png
I had also channel imbalance and received it back fully repaired. I don’t know what kind of drivers they replaced but now is a very different headphone (better)

Nov 13, 2021 at 8:30 PM Post #884 of 907
This is helpful. I just picked up an MX4 from a member here and interested how it compared to the ‘21 LCD-X as I know the revisions improved the FR (maybe the mid dip?).

My interest is for audio production and mixing and I know both models are used for this. But I do kind of hybrid electronic with acoustic sounds so improved bass and faster transient response might be useful to me.

Nov 13, 2021 at 10:05 PM Post #885 of 907
I just picked up an MX4 from a member here and interested how it compared to the ‘21 LCD-X as I know the revisions improved the FR (maybe the mid dip?).
Might be worth looking into replacing the pads to the newer 2021 open cell foam ear pads from Audeze. IIUC, they also include the felt layer to further help reduce pressure build up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back