Audeze LCD-MX4
Nov 13, 2021 at 10:13 PM Post #886 of 907
Might be worth looking into replacing the pads to the newer 2021 open cell foam ear pads from Audeze. IIUC, they also include the felt layer to further help reduce pressure build up.
I’ll look into this. Thanks. Does this apply to both X and MX4?

May 3, 2022 at 2:45 PM Post #889 of 907
As I reported previously, my first MX4 (this pair was built in March 2021) had a significant channel imbalance. Audeze actually quickly reached out to start the RMA process mid August but I couldn't send them back until the last week of October (they stayed on top of things, checking in with me). They updated me when they received the headphones and what to expect for a timeline. A couple days later they let me know they finished with the headphones and they shipped a couple days later (it was a weekend). They did forget to replace the screws at the top of the rods, but they sent a replacement set and let me know what size to get if I needed a replacement right away. Props to using standard screws and being ultra-fast to follow up with any issues.

Unfortunately, my pair of new-to-me LCD-X 2019 also had a channel imbalance of 2db-5db (avg 2.4) which is just inside at the margin of error, except there are some pretty significant tuning differences that keep me from doing spacial sound design so I've once again reached out to Audeze support but this time I have every optimism and appreciation for their customer service.

I had to pick up a second pair of MX4 to continue working in (I had a project that I needed consistent reference), the replacement pair functioned fine, but they had a different enough tonality variance that it kind of negated part of the point of trying to match another pair of MX4 for continuity. I love both pairs of MX4, but the headphones I got back are phenomenal, easily the best headphones I own. My only issue is the headband digging into my head, so I'll probably pick up one of the shorter headbands from Audeze for all my LCDs.

Overall, my experience with Audeze's customer service has been extremely satisfactory, the MX4 are honestly a sleeping giant of a headphone that makes TOTL sound feel commonplace while being a fantastic working headphone. I still feel the MSRP is a bit high, but if they filled the gap in their product line-up and house sound with a LCD-Pro based on drivers of the LCD-X 2021 revision and the chassis of the MX4, I absolutely feel like the probable $1,500-$2,000 MSRP would be a fair - I'm a bit in love with the idea of a middle ground between the LCD-X and MX4 with lighter weight drivers and chassis. I'm comfortable with the more expensive MX4 as the out of warranty driver replacement cost was quoted to me at $600, which is about what the cheaper LCD-X is, if I recall.

As it is, the MX4 is the (used) price-to-performance, comfort-to-sound, and audiophile-to-audio professional balance. Audeze's sleeper TOTL headphone.

EDIT: Audeze worked with me to fix all my headphone problems and I still find the MX4's I've owned to be some of the best headphones I've owned.

Last edited:
May 30, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #890 of 907
Hi all! New to the forum. Has anyone compared to the 2021 lcd-x to these? I have someone local that has a mint pair of the mx4’s but they are out of the warrantee period. Should I worry about that? I was pretty set on the 2021’s but the mx4’s have me curious. I’m using them for tracking/mixing at my apartment but also enjoyment from time to time

May 31, 2022 at 1:57 AM Post #891 of 907
First, welcome. Second, if you're going to use either the LCD-X or LCD-MX4 for tracking where you're near a mic (like a vocalist or strings player) because you will get some sound leak. Lastly, the LCDX21 is better tuned than the prior years, but the MX4 has better technicalities, detail reproduction, and dynamics - if this helps, here's Crinacle's FR comparison graph of the two and you can see the bass is better extended, there is a little deeper dip in 7k and 9k in the MX4.
1653976343465.png

I'd be super interested in a MX4 2022 because even greater weight savings is appealing, until that exists, I'd still take the MX4 (B-stock price) over the LCD-X-21 (used/new price).

May 31, 2022 at 4:11 AM Post #892 of 907
First, welcome. Second, if you're going to use either the LCD-X or LCD-MX4 for tracking where you're near a mic (like a vocalist or strings player) because you will get some sound leak. Lastly, the LCDX21 is better tuned than the prior years, but the MX4 has better technicalities, detail reproduction, and dynamics - if this helps, here's Crinacle's FR comparison graph of the two and you can see the bass is better extended, there is a little deeper dip in 7k and 9k in the MX4.
1653976343465.png

I'd be super interested in a MX4 2022 because even greater weight savings is appealing, until that exists, I'd still take the MX4 (B-stock price) over the LCD-X-21 (used/new price).
What a welcome! Thanks so much for this. Should I be at all worried buying a pair out of warranty? The owner seems very honest and the pair looks to be in excellent shape. As far as sound leak, I record guitars through my ox box and synths direct so most my tracking won’t be a problem. I have wondered about vocals but I figure I can just use an inexpensive set of closed backs if I run into that problem (and use the mx4 to dial in the tones prior).

May 31, 2022 at 4:17 AM Post #893 of 907
What a welcome! Thanks so much for this. Should I be at all worried buying a pair out of warranty? The owner seems very honest and the pair looks to be in excellent shape. As far as sound leak, I record guitars through my ox box and synths direct so most my tracking won’t be a problem. I have wondered about vocals but I figure I can just use an inexpensive set of closed backs if I run into that problem (and use the mx4 to dial in the tones prior).
Subjectively and from my experience the LCDMX4 is better headphones. I’ve tried the LCD-X21 but didn’t like it as much as the older version with the new pads. The MX4 has better detail retrieval and if you want to know what is in the recording the MX4 will be a better choice. It has also a more visceral presentation with greater impact and slam. Listening both side by side makes it more obvious.

May 31, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #894 of 907
Subjectively and from my experience the LCDMX4 is better headphones. I’ve tried the LCD-X21 but didn’t like it as much as the older version with the new pads. The MX4 has better detail retrieval and if you want to know what is in the recording the MX4 will be a better choice. It has also a more visceral presentation with greater impact and slam. Listening both side by side makes it more obvious.
Thanks! Am I reading correctly that if I were to eventually replace the pads, they don’t make the original mx4 pads anymore? Is this at all a problem?

May 31, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #896 of 907
Should I be at all worried buying a pair out of warranty? The owner seems very honest and the pair looks to be in excellent shape.
I'm extremely hand-wavy about this. On the one hand, it's the same service cost to have the MX4 or LCD-X fixed ($600 for driver replacement); on the other, I'm wary after having to send a recently manufactured pair back for new drivers. It was a good thing in the long run but frustrating that they're still sorting out some of the consistency.

As far as sound leak, I record guitars through my ox box and synths direct so most my tracking won’t be a problem. I have wondered about vocals but I figure I can just use an inexpensive set of closed backs if I run into that problem (and use the mx4 to dial in the tones prior).
If you're tracking guitars, especially through an OX box then you're good. The LCD-X, GX, and MX4 all having a low impedance is great in this case. There's a perception in audiophile circles that harder to drive headphones = better headphones but the MX4 works on the aux out of gear like my Teenage Engineering synths and sounds as good as the "well, it just takes the power of the sun to properly drive" headphones. I do use DCA Ether CX and DT770 with leather pads for improved isolation when using with a condenser with poor isolation.

TL;DR, Definitely pick these up.

Last edited:
May 31, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #897 of 907
I'm extremely hand-wavy about this. On the one hand, it's the same service cost to have the MX4 or LCD-X fixed; on the other, I'm wary after having to send a recently manufactured pair back for new drivers. It was

If you're tracking guitars, especially through an OX box then you're good. The LCD-X, GX, and MX4 all having a low impedance is great in this case. There's a perception in audiophile circles that harder to drive headphones = better headphones but the MX4 works on the aux out of gear like my Teenage Engineering synths and sounds as good as the "well, it just takes the power of the sun to properly drive" headphones. I do use DCA Ether CX and DT770 with leather pads for improved isolation when using with a condenser with poor isolation.
How much did it cost for you to get your drivers fixed? So are you saying yay or nay as far as if I should get them?

Jun 4, 2022 at 11:44 AM Post #898 of 907
These things are stupid good. So smooth, a joy to listen to basically anything. What I love about them (as a bedroom studio artist type) is the ability to pick a part a mix if you want to, or just sit back and enjoy. I already wrote a new song using them in the morning hours and it’s some of the best tones I’ve got out of my silent guitar setup because I was so accurately able to dial in sounds. It was fun messing around with the reveal app as well...although I don’t think I’d use it regularly. It’s very useful as a “lets check this in the car” type of tool. Zero fatigue with these, either, which can’t be said when I was using Focal’s previously. Beyond happy with these.

Jun 4, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #899 of 907
How much did it cost for you to get your drivers fixed? So are you saying yay or nay as far as if I should get them?
Mine was still under warranty, but the out-of-warranty cost is $600 for complete replacement (same cost as the LCD-X).
These things are stupid good. So smooth, a joy to listen to basically anything. What I love about them (as a bedroom studio artist type) is the ability to pick a part a mix if you want to, or just sit back and enjoy. I already wrote a new song using them in the morning hours and it’s some of the best tones I’ve got out of my silent guitar setup because I was so accurately able to dial in sounds. It was fun messing around with the reveal app as well...although I don’t think I’d use it regularly. It’s very useful as a “lets check this in the car” type of tool. Zero fatigue with these, either, which can’t be said when I was using Focal’s previously. Beyond happy with these.
Glad you like them. I think they're fantastic for the use case you. I use ampsims instead of an OX but I really like the "this is real life" sense that I can get out of it. When I can get an IR and sampling amp set up (I wish I could trade my second pair of MX4 for a Kemper PowerRack or Power Head) I'll take them on the road with me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back