Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones)
Nov 23, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #2,626 of 7,153
It was a in store deal only from a major store chain over here (think Best Buy), they're clearing their inventory to add a B&O line instead.......

They're really great so far, like a love child with the X2's and HD650 as partens. I can't help thinking that Onkyo/Gibson made a huge mistake not making the design more conservative.

"like a love child w/X2s and HD650 as parents" -- that's great (and funny)

Can't wait to hear what you think of these. I briefly got infatuated w/them 2-3 months ago then totally forgot--but now I'm totally paying attention!

Nov 24, 2017 at 7:55 AM Post #2,629 of 7,153
Any thoughts on the sound? I remember seeing that one maybe a couple years ago, always thought it was a nice looking design as well.

Yes, I've still got my pair and liken them a lot. I remember comparing them to the original Momentum over ear and finding them pretty similar with the Dolphin slightly ahead due to a bit less midbass but this was probably a couple years ago so taken it with a grain of salt. I've listened to them recently and still think they're good, isolation is also good. I paid $149 for my pair......

Nov 24, 2017 at 8:20 AM Post #2,630 of 7,153
At least I have a few days to think about it, which is good because I usually spend quite a bit given the current sales. I have both the first and second gen Momentum, but should buy real pads for my first gen as they're using some pads that turned out to not be a great purchase from Aliexpress. Might need to see if I can find a good sale today for those.

Nov 24, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #2,632 of 7,153
The design of this headphone (though certainly not the price!) remind me a little of Bose.

Yes, some Bose and some Parrot Zik may be. The Bose QC has larger cups though, not sure about the Zik as I've never tried them.

Nov 24, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #2,633 of 7,153
Akai-Professional-Project-50X-Over-Ear-Headphones.jpg

Hey guys. I am getting a pair of Akai Professional Project 50X (AKA Marantz MPH-2, ISK MDH9000, LyxPro HAS-30, Freeboss MDH9000). Which pads are betterr? Will be using them on the computer for minor gaming and watching Youtube videos (thanks to a credit from Amazon). They will be driven from my onboard sound, so if either of these pads would be easier to drive then that would be better. Also, are there some other top secret pads that everyone uses? The only reasons I am getting new pads is because the stock ones supposedly don't fit well. But then again I really don't know, and may be making a mistake by buying new ones. Any advice would be appreciated. Mahalo. One more thing, I need to buy the pads from Amazon since I have a credit here.

$8.99 Replacement Ear Pads for LyxPro HAS-30 - Leather

41wKFfaM0DL.jpg

$6.99 Replacement Ear Pads for LyxPro HAS-30 - Velvet

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #2,634 of 7,153
At least I have a few days to think about it, which is good because I usually spend quite a bit given the current sales. I have both the first and second gen Momentum, but should buy real pads for my first gen as they're using some pads that turned out to not be a great purchase from Aliexpress. Might need to see if I can find a good sale today for those.

Good luck buddy. I'm in the same boat. Tried 2 different Aliexpress pads with no luck. The genuines from Sennheiser are difficult to find, and run $60. You can buy a lightly used pair of Momentum v1 for that, and get a free pair of headphones with the included pads haha!

Nov 24, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #2,635 of 7,153

Hey guys. I am getting a pair of Akai Professional Project 50X (AKA Marantz MPH-2, ISK MDH9000, LyxPro HAS-30, Freeboss MDH9000). Which pads are betterr? Will be using them on the computer for minor gaming and watching Youtube videos (thanks to a credit from Amazon). They will be driven from my onboard sound, so if either of these pads would be easier to drive then that would be better. Also, are there some other top secret pads that everyone uses? The only reasons I am getting new pads is because the stock ones supposedly don't fit well. But then again I really don't know, and may be making a mistake by buying new ones. Any advice would be appreciated. Mahalo. One more thing, I need to buy the pads from Amazon since I have a credit here.

41wKFfaM0DL.jpg

I own the Marantz MPH-2s (2nd pair--gifted 1st pair to my brother); also owned the LyxPro HAS-30. The stock pads on these designs are perfect, but hard to find as aftermarket replacements.

I can't tell if those inexpensive pads (1st photo) are the same depth as stock. BTW, I also wouldn't go near velours or hybrids w/this design. The bass is really excellent, and so are the highs. Velours or hybrids have been known to mess with both (usually dropping some bass & adding some treble).

IMO, the best aftermarket pads for this design are Brainwavz Round pleathers (color of your choice). I had a pair and was able to compare to the stock Marantz MPH-2's pads...very close in ear opening, depth, and diameter (100mm):
https://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-RO...&sr=8-3&keywords=brainwavz+round+earpads&th=1

Nov 24, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #2,636 of 7,153
Good luck buddy. I'm in the same boat. Tried 2 different Aliexpress pads with no luck. The genuines from Sennheiser are difficult to find, and run $60. You can buy a lightly used pair of Momentum v1 for that, and get a free pair of headphones with the included pads haha!

Plus for barely more than that I got a Momentum 2 in great condition missing a cable. The Momentum pads that turned it into on ear also turned it into a bit of a basshead can relatively speaking. Better comfort on the tiny sheepskin than the genetic $8 pads I tried.

Nov 24, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #2,637 of 7,153
Yep I use my HAS-30 for gaming, used the Hybrid BW pads for months, recently switched to the Round pleather and it's suck much nicer, isolates better and bass is louder which helps with Rainbow Six Siege

Nov 24, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #2,638 of 7,153

Hey guys. I am getting a pair of Akai Professional Project 50X (AKA Marantz MPH-2, ISK MDH9000, LyxPro HAS-30, Freeboss MDH9000). Which pads are betterr? Will be using them on the computer for minor gaming and watching Youtube videos (thanks to a credit from Amazon). They will be driven from my onboard sound, so if either of these pads would be easier to drive then that would be better. Also, are there some other top secret pads that everyone uses? The only reasons I am getting new pads is because the stock ones supposedly don't fit well. But then again I really don't know, and may be making a mistake by buying new ones. Any advice would be appreciated. Mahalo.

41wKFfaM0DL.jpg

I own the Marantz MPH-2s (2nd pair--gifted 1st pair to my brother); also owned the LyxPro HAS-30. The stock pads on these designs are perfect, but hard to find as aftermarket replacements.

I can't tell if those inexpensive pads (1st photo) are the same depth as stock. BTW, I also wouldn't go near velours or hybrids w/this design. The bass is really excellent, and so are the highs. Velours or hybrids have been known to mess with both (usually dropping some bass & adding some treble).

IMO, the best aftermarket pads for this design are Brainwavz Round pleathers (color of your choice). I had a pair and was able to compare to the stock Marantz MPH-2's pads...very close in ear opening, depth, and diameter (100mm):
https://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-ROUND-Replacement-Memory-Earpads/dp/B072PPPWBF/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1511560995&sr=8-3&keywords=brainwavz+round+earpads&th=1

Thanks Pharmaboy. However my finger twitched on the buy button and I just bought $8.99 Replacement Ear Pads for LyxPro HAS-30 - Leather
The Brainwavs look nice but at $22.50, that's more than I paid for the headphones. I searched the forum and there was a few people that said these pads were pretty good, so I took the plunge.

Nov 24, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #2,639 of 7,153
Nov 25, 2017 at 12:33 AM Post #2,640 of 7,153
Well I got a couple more pegboards to setup this weekend. I have a bunch more headphones sitting around on my desk so need to tidy up again. Only things new I got coming was a Audeze EL-8 open.

Nothing from BF or CM seems to be tickling my fancy in the Chi-fi department

Users who are viewing this thread

Back