Cowon PLENUE M2 (Current Firmware and Manual Links in 1st post)
Nov 1, 2017 at 7:24 AM Post #362 of 545
Congratulations NewEve, great decision, you are gonna love it!!!!!
Best DAP I have ever heard, by far!!!!!

I just hope I'll notice a difference from the Plenue D...
Not directly linked to this, I was underwhelmed when I compared the results of my Plenue D coupled with my Alo Audio Continental V5 and using the Plenue D alone with BBE.
Still love this little tube amp but BBE is an amazing feature to have on a DAP.

Nov 2, 2017 at 8:56 AM Post #364 of 545
Been owning it from 1 month, coming from a dx80, it's a huge step up mainly UI wise. In 2 words, sound is warmer, soundstage narrower, less powerful (but no bg hiss), than dx80.
But UI is miles ahead, no problems in recognizing songs, search function, and for me that I'm not English native speaking, Lyrics! Always been a lyric freak, this us my dream come true.
Only little complain, no total album length display, battery could last longer.
But this DAP is a beast for sure!

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2017 at 4:20 AM Post #365 of 545
Right, here's a quick feedback on the Cowon Plenue M2 compared to the Cowon Plenue D, both paired with Grado's GR8e & SR325e.

Sound
  • Better timing
  • Clearer (more transparent)
  • Warmer
I don't know whether it comes from the JetEffect version (5 on the D vs 7 on the M2) and/or the fact that they're applied on different DACs but I found that the two presets I was using on the D sound different on the M2 (the two presets I use are "BBE" and "BBE Headphone 3"). Both make a difference on the M2 though not as much as they do on the D. Moreover, I found the "BBE" preset to be borderline annoying on the M2. In-between the normal mode and the "BBE Headphone 3", the latter clearly makes a big difference but I could genuinely do without it. This, to me, is a testimonial to the Burr-Brown PCM1795's quality and overall engineering put into the M2.

UI
  • Faster
  • Richer
  • Smoother
A better overall experience--enough said.

Built
  • Stronger
  • More luxurious
Idem.

Battery life
  • Lower, way lower (though it was expected)
I personally can live with that.

Other
  • I can't plug my Grado's SR325e 3.5mm audio jack in the Plenue M2 when the leather case is on--something to bear in mind.
Conclusion

Is it better than the Plenue D? Yes. Is it much better? No.
So if you're on a tight budget, I'll recommend the Plenue D. Otherwise go ahead.
That being said, I think most of us here know we have an expensive hobby :ksc75smile:

More on the M2 later--In the meantime I hope this will be useful to some--especially as the M2's price seems to be lower with the apparition of the Plenue R.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2017 at 5:18 AM Post #366 of 545
Thanks for that NewEve,
I have not heard the D so now I know how they compare. I suspect, but don't know for sure, that the M2 will sound a little better with a little more time. I love the sound of mine so much that I rarely find
I need any JetEffects. Not that I am opposed to them, indeed sometimes they can make a wonderful difference. Especially on older, poorer recordings. On DSD and Hi Res FLAC I don't find it needed at all. SMOOTH and NATURAL sounding.
Yes, it is an expensive hobby, but not nearly as expensive and cars, trucks and boats!!!!!
Enjoy,
God Bless,
Wayne

Nov 3, 2017 at 5:25 AM Post #367 of 545
Thanks for that NewEve,
I have not heard the D so now I know how they compare. I suspect, but don't know for sure, that the M2 will sound a little better with a little more time. I love the sound of mine so much that I rarely find
I need any JetEffects. Not that I am opposed to them, indeed sometimes they can make a wonderful difference. Especially on older, poorer recordings. On DSD and Hi Res FLAC I don't find it needed at all. SMOOTH and NATURAL sounding.
Yes, it is an expensive hobby, but not nearly as expensive and cars, trucks and boats!!!!!
Enjoy,
God Bless,
Wayne

I meant to ask you: which head/ear phones do you use with the M2 btw?

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2017 at 5:29 AM Post #368 of 545
I use the custom EarTech Music Quads for outside, on the road, and HiFiMan HE 400i in the house, or connect the output of the M2 to my home theater, even sweeter!!!!!
The Eartech Music Quads are marvelous BTW. I never had any joy with universal iems, they just don't seal in my ears. Custom is again, more costly, but the only way to go for me.

Nov 4, 2017 at 12:25 AM Post #369 of 545
Hey guys, can I use my iphone USB power adapter to charge my Plenue?

You know this thing
IMG_1954b.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back