Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Jan 30, 2023 at 6:04 AM Post #3,781 of 4,398
Are you saying dt1990 is very close to d9200? Do you have a link handy for that comparison?
it's 3 times cheaper than the d9200!

how does the punch and slam of d9200 compare to the abyss? I don't know why I'm asking, I'll haven't heard the abyss. Just curiosity I guess.
The AB-1266 TC is just a different animal. The bass output, soundstage, resolution and depth into music is virtually unmatched. On top of that, it presents music with so much authority, aggression and weight that switching from it makes other headphones sound anemic. That is until you give your ears a few minutes to adjust. With that said, the D9200 is great headphone and currently my favorite closed headphone. Comparing it to the Abyss is just not fair, but I can say this for a number of other headphones as well :).

Jan 30, 2023 at 6:18 AM Post #3,782 of 4,398
The AB-1266 TC is just a different animal. The bass output, soundstage, resolution and depth into music is virtually unmatched. On top of that, it presents music with so much authority, aggression and weight that switching from it makes other headphones sound anemic. That is until you give your ears a few minutes to adjust. With that said, the D9200 is great headphone and currently my favorite closed headphone. Comparing it to the Abyss is just not fair, but I can say this for a number of other headphones as well :).
Understood, thank you.
I am dithering, feeling unable to make a decision. I might seek a dealer close by to have an audition. That is the only way I'd know for sure.
I feel like I want to add something to my collection. For a while I thought about getting one of the open back TOTL, like FinalAudio D8000 pro, or Susvara, or LCD-5, but they are all super, super expensive. So then I thought of adding a closed back flagship, which is a bit of a sidegrade than an upgrade.
Not that there is anything wrong with my current phones. But I'm always wondering what I might be missing.
Definitely would like to have some kind of bass cannon! Abyss, though, I heard they are not great for vocals, and that is a must for me.

Jan 30, 2023 at 6:35 AM Post #3,783 of 4,398
Understood, thank you.
I am dithering, feeling unable to make a decision. I might seek a dealer close by to have an audition. That is the only way I'd know for sure.
I feel like I want to add something to my collection. For a while I thought about getting one of the open back TOTL, like FinalAudio D8000 pro, or Susvara, or LCD-5, but they are all super, super expensive. So then I thought of adding a closed back flagship, which is a bit of a sidegrade than an upgrade.
Not that there is anything wrong with my current phones. But I'm always wondering what I might be missing.
Definitely would like to have some kind of bass cannon! Abyss, though, I heard they are not great for vocals, and that is a must for me.
Auditioning is part of the fun of this hobby. Even if you don’t buy or upgrade anything getting a listen to some of the gear you’re curious about will help satisfy that itch.

The midrange is the only weak point of the Abyss. It’s why I had other headphones to accompany it. You should look into a used D8000 or D8000 Pro. The D8K Pro that I have is one of the most balanced and complete headphones I own.

Jan 30, 2023 at 7:49 AM Post #3,784 of 4,398
Are you saying dt1990 is very close to d9200? Do you have a link handy for that comparison?

how does the punch and slam of d9200 compare to the abyss? I don't know why I'm asking, I'll haven't heard the abyss. Just curiosity I guess.
I owned the Abyss many years ago, sold long since. I was not that impressed I have to say. And most definitely not 6000€-impressed. It helped me save a lot of money though, since I stopped running after some esoteric high end stuff that mostly doesn’t deliver anyway.

The D9200 on the other hand does deliver what I paid for. In full. I do like it much more that I ever enjoyed the Abyss.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2023 at 8:01 AM Post #3,785 of 4,398

Yes, these Abyss cans are very wild in the good sense that emphasizes speed, contorus, resolution, openness and dynamic scale. The result is a very engaging fun sound :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jan 30, 2023 at 8:21 AM Post #3,786 of 4,398
Yes, these Abyss cans are very wild in the good sense that emphasizes speed, contorus, resolution, openness and dynamic scale. The result is a very engaging fun sound :)
Agreed, the Abyss are a super fun headphone, but they can be a little exhaustive over time because they are so in your face. The D9200’s are better balanced but not as energetic or aggressive :)

Jan 30, 2023 at 8:39 AM Post #3,787 of 4,398

The Abyss is a lot better , but it cost 4k plus you will need a great amp. Also fit isnt as comfy and no way can u walk outside with it.

Jan 30, 2023 at 9:01 AM Post #3,789 of 4,398
Damn you guys! Damn you! I went ahead and ordered a pair b-stock from Thomann for £1125 (1280 euro).
that way I can still return within 30 days, if I don't like them, and they still come with 3 year warranty. And i saved 200 quid.
Chances are you’ll quite like them.

Jan 30, 2023 at 11:08 AM Post #3,791 of 4,398
Damn you guys! Damn you! I went ahead and ordered a pair b-stock from Thomann for £1125 (1280 euro).
that way I can still return within 30 days, if I don't like them, and they still come with 3 year warranty. And i saved 200 quid.
I think you'll like them. The D9200's don't have many sonic flaws.

Jan 30, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #3,792 of 4,398
I think you'll like them. The D9200's don't have many sonic flaws.
If he comes back and starts to search for other headphones he will end up convincing himself that there are flaws. Ends up spending money.

Jan 30, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #3,794 of 4,398
Here's my D9200 vs DT1990 comparison post. Keep in mind the DT1990 was used on tubes and is an open-back.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/den...ressions-thread.882028/page-243#post-17279772

In terms of punch in slam, the cans that rank the highest for me are:
#3 Very dynamic cans with nice punch and slam, like the Denon D9200, perfect! Also cans like the Stellia etc.
#2 Utopia, best dynamics out of every normal headphone. A step up from everything below.
#1 1266. There is a huge gap in between its slam and the Utopia. It's not even close. This headphone cheats when you break the seal (as it is intended), it sounds like a multi thousand dollar subwoofer, it's insane. That's why i keep it. I don't care that much for the resolution that's why i don't feel the need to upgrade to the TC - i got the Phi for a much cheaper price (when i already have a Susvara). Impact and slam are on another level. If you have the chance to listen to a 1266 (whatever model) and adjust it to your head, certain genres are insane (electronic, metal...). It has flaws. Voices do not sound very good, it's not lifelike or realistic, but goddamn it's so aggressive, energetic and fun.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2023 at 12:15 PM Post #3,795 of 4,398
Here's my D9200 vs DT1990 comparison post. Keep in mind the DT1990 was used on tubes and is an open-back.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/den...ressions-thread.882028/page-243#post-17279772

In terms of punch in slam, the cans that rank the highest for me are:
#3 Very dynamic cans with nice punch and slam, like the Denon D9200, perfect! Also cans like the Stellia etc.
#2 Utopia, best dynamics out of every normal headphone. A step up from everything below.
#1 1266. There is a huge gap in between its slam and the Utopia. It's not even close. This headphone cheats when you break the seal (as it is intended), it sounds like a multi thousand dollar subwoofer, it's insane. That's why i keep it. I don't care that much for the resolution that's why i don't feel the need to upgrade to the TC - i got the Phi for a much cheaper price (when i already have a Susvara). Impact and slam are on another level. If you have the chance to listen to a 1266 (whatever model) and adjust it to your head, certain genres are insane (electronic, metal...). It has flaws. Voices do not sound very good, it's not lifelike or realistic, but goddamn it's so aggressive, energetic and fun.
Thanks for digging that out. I enjoyed reading it. I now have high expectations, especially regarding female vocals! If it has luscious vocals that would be a winner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back