DT48 appreciation thread!!
Apr 8, 2009 at 6:05 AM Post #46 of 94
Yes, I prefer the 48a over the 48e by a pretty good margin. Minus the fact that it lacks the refinement and musicality of the e version. I'd love to get my hands on the 48s and 48 200ohm. This would be the ultimate shoot. It's late. Having trouble thinking. I will try to be more specific in the differences. Will post tomorrow.

Apr 8, 2009 at 9:44 AM Post #48 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh man, all this talk of them being neutral cans...comparisons to planar and hp1/2...I want to try them now

I should be getting mine delivered this morning ... I'm gonna pounce on the mailman as soon as I see his van
tongue_smile.gif
tongue_smile.gif
tongue_smile.gif

I'll post some first impressions later today.
regular_smile .gif

Apr 8, 2009 at 2:12 PM Post #51 of 94
Quote:

meh, the term neutral is being thrown around a bit wildly here IMO if these things have bass like K501, and are also prone to harshness...

Yeah, but which K501?
bigsmile_face.gif
I think the neutrality of these is mainly determined by the flat frequency response. None of the frequencies really stand out from the others.

Apr 8, 2009 at 2:12 PM Post #52 of 94
Quote:

meh, the term neutral is being thrown around a bit wildly here IMO if these things have bass like K501, and are also prone to harshness...

As far as the bass goes I can best describe it as being neutral in the strictest sense. Meaning it lacks the bass boost that most headphones have to give them bass impact... as per the graph section at headroom >

" [A] ..headphone should have a gentle hump in the bass (about 3 or 4 dB) between 40Hz and 500Hz. This compensates for the fact that headphones don't give you the physical punch or 'impact' that the sound waves from a room speaker have; so a slight compensation for increased bass response is needed for natural sound."

Apr 8, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #53 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by adanac061 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far as the bass goes I can best describe it as being neutral in the strictest sense. Meaning it lacks the bass boost that most headphones have to give them bass impact... as per the graph section at headroom >

" [A] ..headphone should have a gentle hump in the bass (about 3 or 4 dB) between 40Hz and 500Hz. This compensates for the fact that headphones don't give you the physical punch or 'impact' that the sound waves from a room speaker have; so a slight compensation for increased bass response is needed for natural sound."

interesting. but do the HP1000 have a bass hump? I can't say I agree with this ^, but I won't say anymore lest I derail the thread. But I bet vocals are amazing on these, and I would like to hear them sometime.

Apr 8, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #54 of 94
I have yet to hear any Beyers that sound less than fantastic (though some, such as DT150, are quite uncomfortable.)
I am not likely to buy DT48s, but it would be fun to hear them.

Apr 8, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #56 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by adanac061 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Question for KBI ,

Now you've had the 48a and 48e for a while,

Can you please list in detail the differences .. in bass, midrange, treble , detail
etc..

I've pretty much read all of your writings on these, and you have mentioned before that the 48e 25ohm is the more evolved and musical , but the 48a is the more technically proficient . Do you still believe this to be true...

Thanks.

The 48a is flatter, slightly more detailed, colder, with a bit more clarity & resolution. Better with acoustics. I believe Beyer wanted a more musical version for the consumer market, so they 'dumb ed down' the 48e so to speak.. But the 48e is a upgrade in many respects. Smoother.. More refined. paints a blacker canvas, blacker between the notes with more air around the instruments.. Wider sound stage.. Bass has a tad more impact & sounds a little fuller. Mid range seems identical to me, but will need to do some critical listening to see. treble might be a bit harsh or grainer on the 48a compared to the 48e.. But will need some more critical listening to evaluate that properly.

Apr 8, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #58 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 48a is flatter, slightly more detailed, colder, with a bit more clarity & resolution. Better with acoustics. I believe Beyer wanted a more musical version for the consumer market, so they 'dumb ed down' the 48e so to speak.. But the 48e is a upgrade in many respects. Smoother.. More refined. paints a blacker canvas, blacker between the notes with more air around the instruments.. Wider sound stage.. Bass has a tad more impact & sounds a little fuller. Mid range seems identical to me, but will need to do some critical listening to see. treble might be a bit harsh or grainer on the 48a compared to the 48e.. But will need some more critical listening to evaluate that properly.

Thank-you ,

Given your description I don't think the dt48a is for me , to be honest I think my brain might explode if i get anymore detail than what the dt48 e is providing me and I don't even have a high end dac yet, I swear I can hear people talking during some songs faintly in the background !!

ON the issue of bass , I downloaded the NCH Tone Generator for kicks
and discovered that the 48e can put out bass at 40hz , not a lot obviously
but 50hz and 60hz get a bit louder so the driver is capable of deep bass.

Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do they compare to the Akg K501?

I can probably answer that fully on Monday, I have a pair shipping to me from California.

Apr 8, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #59 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If we do get together, I will bring my a and e model. To me theres a difference, with the a version being technically superior. They are also autometric headphones. I would like to compare them to your K1000 and GS1000. I heard the K1000 before, and feel the 48a is on that level in certain areas.. The K1000 and the 48a are the only headphones that made me say, these are truly special.

Sounds like a plan. Definately would be good to compare these whether I'm going to canjam or not. What does autometric mean?
redface.gif

The HP-1000 and K-1000 do not have a bass hump and they have plenty of slam. I wouldn't take that quote from the headroom site too seriously. My GS-1000 has a bass hump and does simulate the rumble of loudspeakers, so I do understand what that means, but the hump isn't necessary to "feel" the bass in headphones.

Apr 8, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #60 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like a plan. Definately would be good to compare these whether I'm going to canjam or not. What does autometric mean?
redface.gif

The HP-1000 and K-1000 do not have a bass hump and they have plenty of slam. I wouldn't take that quote from the headroom site too seriously. My GS-1000 has a bass hump and does simulate the rumble of loudspeakers, so I do understand what that means, but the hump isn't necessary to "feel" the bass in headphones.

He meant "AudioMetric"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back